Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times

Advertisements

I thinkt that the neighborhood that you live in is a big factor. When I first moved here, I lived it. Then I moved to a new neighborhood and I don't really like it. My apartment is nice, but the area is nasty. I'm going to stay here until I can buy a home because the price is right and I have a lot of space. The commute is no too bad either, but the people are horrible.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
Yes. I hate this midwestern state.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:08 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
My home is in Washington state, and I moved to Southern California back 8 months ago to take care of my mom because my dad died unexpectedly. The only thing is that my husband is still up in Washington in our house, because he can't get a job down here with the economy and another reason he doesn't want to move down here...he hates California. But I hate Washington. We have a great marriage and kids but I don't know what to do. I truly hate the rain, but feel like many people live where they don't want to, and maybe I should move back? Any suggestions?

All I can say is I don't want to be in this situation. I got a boyfriend shortly after moving to Texas and have talked about getting married and, it was cool at first.

Now, I don't think I want to do it because he has kids here and does not want to move and I probably wouldn't ask him to because of that. So if I all of a sudden decide I want to move home to Seattle in the future, I will be miserable. He spent some time there a couple years back during January and February and would never want to live there at all.

I hope you all work things out so everyone is happy. It just seems like a real tough situation to me...difficult to resolve to make sure everyone is ok.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
I always hated Boston and for some bizarre reason (well, not so bizarre, work) have now been living here for eight years and call it home. My kids are being raised here, I like my neighborhood. So that's that!

Now I feel like I don't have the strength or energy to move back to NJ even if it were an option. It's very strange....

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
I moved to Alaska from Boston (from Texas originally) and I loathe Alaska and it is #50 on my list of best states to live in. It IS possible to live someplace you're not nuts about when it isn't extreme. If you're looking at 2 urban areas, for instance, you can probably adjust to "minor" inconveniences such as temperatures slightly hotter or colder than you like. However, Alaska is a whole nother thing. I live in Fairbanks, which is considered "urban" by Alaskan standards. It is an isolated, small town to a city girl like me (grew up in Fort Worth and lived in Austin also - both are actually bigger cities than Boston according to city-data). But the real reason I loathe this place is the extreme climate and the hours of darkness in the winter. It is so MISERABLE you can't do anything. Yeah, 100 degrees is uncomfortably hot, but it's nowhere near as miserable as anything below zero. You also don't bundle up for the privilege of suffering in the heat and you don't have to scrape it off your car. And that hot sun is a much better mood booster than dark, winter mornings. We are moving back to Texas. I cannot stand Alaska, and it wouldn't matter how much someone paid me to live here, mental sanity is worth more than money. My husband is scared to move because he's never moved before. But since there isn't a single "Alaskan" activity that he enjoys and he seems to not be annoyed by the heat anymore than he's annoyed by the cold here, I think he will adjust fine and like it. He even wanted to move to Hawaii after our vacation there, so warm weather and sunshine seem to put him in a better mood too.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
yep, moved from NY to Texas about a year ago. I am adjusting but I think my heart will always be in the northeast.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 PM

146 posts, read 437,765 times
I moved from Florida to Texas, and then back to Florida, and back to Texas.

I am fed up with both places and soon they will be cast out into 'vacation only' and 'family trip' only categories.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Florida and Texas seem to be two peas in pod.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Florida and Texas seem to be two peas in pod.
why do you say that? they seem vastly different to me....Texas is more redneck and not as diverse as FL. I love TX though....I think it has a better job climate right now that FL does too.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Glad I am not the only one. Florida is ok but the area I am in is falling down the crapper fast. Alot of crime, getting run down. We have a nice, unique home in a not so nice neighborhood! I am actually a little scared living here. My IO says we cannot move because of the economy but I say we can. Four years here is way tooooo long already! It is a no win situation. Plus my family and friends are 1,000 miles away. I grew up in a nice suburban area up north, here is redneck alley! I will never adjust to this culture shock here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues