Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 PM

107 posts, read 287,301 times

Advertisements

Just started .....already tired!
This will be our second move in ten months
Contacted 2 realtors
Poured over price quotes for a bizzillion car shippers (I AM NOT DRIVING CROSS COUNTRY WITH THREE KIDS AND A CAR LOAD OF STUFF EVER AGAIN)
Tried to find an affordable one way flight for 5.
Looked for long distance mover quotes
Scanned my house for anything I could begin to throw out as a sign of certain success.

gracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I thought I'd start this thread so we can all inspire each other while keeping track of our accomplishments.

I do stuff every day, but it gets discouraging. At the end of the day it seems I haven't made any real progress, and lots of times it ends up looking worse than when I started.

So, I thought to keep a sort of journal of my daily accomplishments, so I can reflect on what's been done. Perhaps others would like to join in, so we can go down this path together!

Today:

Took dd to school, came home, had 2nd cup of coffee, then got started.

I decided to focus on my bedroom. Ok, I've worked on this room before, I'm coming to realize I will never get a whole room done in a day. Just focus on parts of the room.

I spent about 2 hours, going through old books, and one closet. I've done the closet before and had to break off in the middle. Today I find myself looking at bags all over the floor, sorted before, but I can't remember what's what. some are donation, some are garage sale, some are trash, but I have to sort all over again because I left it half done.

Today I came up with a system. I found some old ribbon. I tie a color for a category on each bag---green is Goodwill, red is trash, blue is garage sale, etc. You get the idea. Also, I made a promise to myself to dispose of the days catch every day. don't leave it sitting there or you start getting things mixed up, regardless of how much you try to organize it. Dump the trash in the dumpster, put the donation items in the trunk of my car for a Goodwill run, and I have a designated spot in my garage for that garage sale that will probably never happen.

So, today I have six bags going out, 4 to Goodwill, 2 for trash. Also one giant box of books. As I look back, it doesn't look like I did anything, the bedroom is more of a mess than I began with, but, like I said, lets focus on what we accomplished,not what we still have to do.

And, don't work to the point of getting exhausted. I schedule breaks every 2 hours, get totally away from it, eat something, go surf my boards, take a walk, anything to mentally and physically take a break. I find I can go longer with some scheduled breaks.

So, lets all post what we've done today! Good luck!
Today I'm going to pick up a box to pack my essientals from my closet. Then I will attempt to pick out six dress and six casual outfits that I will pack for the stay in a hotel in VA and in KY. I will also attempt to catch up on my other laundry. This would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about school also.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I spent 3 huors organizing my bathroom. Tossed used stuff, old bottles, expired items, etc. then organized my cosmetics.Its amazing all the make up I have and never use. Still I paid too much for it to toss it.

I took another poster's idea and went to the post office and got some boxes for free. Nice sturdy cardboard. they're not big storage boxes, just about 9/12, etc. But I find them ideal for little things, such as all that makeup. It fit perfectly in those boxes, wrapped in toilet tissue and stuffed with newspaper. I just kept out what I will need, all those Clinique bonus items, samples, etc go in the boxes.

Also, used some of the PO boxes to store papers, such as tax documents, etc. Be sure to label the boxes as you go, you won't remember later.

Now on to tackle my dresser and chest of drawers. I've decided to get rid of them, either donate to Goodwill or garage sale. Today I'm sorting the junk in them, donate, garage sale, what's left over I have those plastic storage drawer things (come with 3 drawers) use that in the intermin. I never liked that bedroom set, anyways, and don't want to take it with us. Also, went to Costco this morning and got some boxes, you can't use them for moving, but ok for intermin storage of stuff in your home.

Also, another hint, you can go to USPS.gov and order small boxes online for free! No need to spend your gas and time fetching them!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 04-17-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Gosh, I'm getting tired and slowing down. Our move isn't even scheduled, we have just begun. My dh accepted a job offfer in another city and is currently living in an efficiency type place month-by-month. Carrying two house expenses is eating us up, so the sooner we move, the better.

First, we need to list this house and sell, then buy another place where he is. Its a balancing act! But we need to get this place in order to list and show. The little things are the hardest. Cleaning out junk drawers, closets, etc, old papers in my office, that takes the most time and mental energy. The big items take care of themselves. Just figure out what you want to get rid of, clean it out, then call a charity that does pick ups to haul it off.

The hard part is cleaning out the junk in them. I've found it easier, if you have the time, to take it one item at a time. Today I'm cleaning out my dresser and chest of drawers, then will have Salvation Army come next week to haul it off. then concentrate on another item, such as my desk.

Of course, we aren't getting rid of all our furniture. But piece by piece we're getting rid of the items we really wouldn't pack and ship. Then, when the house is relatively clear of clutter and excess furniture, we will paint, and get new carpet installed.I've designated one almost empty bedroom as a storage area in the meantime.

I swear, the little things are the hardest to sort and pack. Spend all day sorting my junk drawers, and I still have junk left over!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM

84 posts, read 292,935 times
We got a LOT done today! A few big items went out into the garage for the upcoming sale, ALL THE BABY CLOTHES are organized and ready for the sale (such a big job!), along with most everything else. We have a few more boxes of garage sale things and some organization to do, but otherwise it's all set-up!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Today I paint the guest bath. Oh joy.
We don't find out if we are moving for sure until later this week, but if we are, things will happen fast so we are trying to get prepared. (It's stuff that needs to be done either way). ~sigh~

Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 AM

604 posts, read 856,661 times
Marylee,

You've inspired me! I'm a grad student with about a year to go, but I think NOW is not too early to think about decluttering. When I graduate I'm moving cross-country and I'm amazed at the stuff I've accumulated in a 2/2 condo in a few years. After reading your "you could Ebay/Craigslist/Goodwill this" saga I'm going to invite people from school over and say "take what you want!"--grad students are great recyclers--and everything else goes in the dumpster. After reading that story I took a break and cleaned out one side of my entertainment center, where I found phone books from 2007. Thanks for the inspiration, and I hope your decluttering goes smoothly.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,406 times
Well, the yard sale yesterday went off without a hitch. We got rid of most of our "junque", and donated the remains to the local Catholic Church for their annual Rummage Sale (no sense in filling up the local landfill!) And we made a nice chunk of change for the effort!!

Now it is on to the final packing stage. Today, I have sorted through the remaining DVDs and VHS tapes, packed what I'm keeping, along with all the CDs, games, cards, etc. All the pictures are off the walls and are ready to wrap and pack. I've done 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed and dusted and cleaned the kitchen.

And it is not even 12:30 yet!!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
AmazinGracie - give yourself a pat on the back

(But what time did you get up? LOL)

Old 04-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Last night was a rainy night, and my family were all out-of-town or at sleepover activities, so I had the night to myself. Just me and the cats. I spent the night sorting drawers in my bedroom, I'm amazed at all the stuff I was keeping.

Problem is, I used the bed as a sorting area, then about 2 am realized I was bone-tired and 2/3 my bed was covered with crap! What I need is a staging area, I got a great idea! I have a folding card table, take it with me around the house and use it to sort, etc. That way the functionality of the room isn't compromised while you're sorting.

Tomorrow I'm going to Uhaul to buy a few boxes, just to get started. If you pack it yourself, make sure the box is something a moving company would accept, and meets USPS, UPS, FEDEX requirements. Even if you think you're going to haul it yourself, your situation could change. You don't want to have to unpack and repack at the last minute, keep your options open. Also, I wouldn't tape up a box until you're ready to load, things change. And be aware UPS and moving companies are particular about the type of tape used, just look to see if it says UPS approved. They don't like Scotch tape or certain types of masking tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues