Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in the safe part of the state, however Detroit is a huge percentage of our population, and its always dragging our whole state down. Detroit is like an anchor wrapped around Michigans neck.
Not hardly. Detroit is less than 10% of MI's population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New Mexico?

I wonder why...
Because of the Injuns. They get drunk easily and have problems. Hence the phrase "the natives are getting restless"...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
And what about Flint?

This list is a joke if it places Delaware on there (presumably) for Wilmington and Tennessee (what in the world...)? - I guess because of parts of Memphis, but yet Michigan escapes unscathed?
Tennessee has bad crime everywhere - Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville (one of the worst), and many little po-dunk cities/ghettos in the middle of nowhere that are depressed and have high crime. Their crime problem is not limited to their cities.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not hardly. Detroit is less than 10% of MI's population.
The CITY of Detroit is less than 1/10th the States population; the METRO area of Detroit (Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, & Wayne counties) account for 44% of the total population of the State of Michigan.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The CITY of Detroit is less than 1/10th the States population; the METRO area of Detroit (Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, & Wayne counties) account for 44% of the total population of the State of Michigan.
I think that's the point. Detroit may be crime ridden, but it doesn't hold a large share of Michigan's population. The suburbs on the other hand are generally less crime ridden than the city itself. They also make up a larger portion of Michigan's population. Many are at or below the national crime rate, which lessens the effect of Detroit on Michigan's overall crime rate.

This is what also keeps New Jersey off the list of most crime ridden states (the "dangerous" areas are vastly outnumbered by the safer areas)

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I find it strange that all those states except Maryland and Delaware are either in the southeast or in the west. Where is New Jersey? New York? I find it hard to believe that Tennessee is more dangerous than the land of the Sapranos. People use statistics, twist them in order to bash the south. I wonder if that is the case here.
People who watch TV a lot and believe what they watch as being "real" would tend to think that NJ is "the land of the Sopranos" while the South is full of genteel folks, greeting all visitors with ice cold sweet tea or lemonade on the porch of their beautiful home on a large piece of land.

People who travel and get to see and know places in real life know that TV is playing up stereotypes to get viewers, and that NJ is not quite "the land of the Sopranos" as shown on TV but actually is one of the wealthiest and most educated populations with the most expensive homes in the nation and that the south isn't all Mayberry and Sweet Tea but actually some of the absolute poorest populations in the nation and lots of trailer parks and ghetto-like small towns with tons of ignorant baby-mama/baby-daddy issues amongst their teens and obese women with glasses who like to wear and have lots of things with bright floral prints and smoke generic cigs that they buy cartons at a time at one of the many discount tobacco shops all over the south.

You should try to stop watching so much TV and believing the TV shows and get out and see for yourself what the real world is like; then you'd easily believe that Tennessee has much worse crime than NJ.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
But he was talking about the city, I assume. The Detroit burbs aren't exactly known as crime-ridden are they?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
But he was talking about the city, I assume. The Detroit burbs aren't exactly known as crime-ridden are they?
Not most of them, some are VERY nice. When it comes to instate, "Detroit" generally refers to the entire Detroit area, not just the city itself.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Camden was rated higher for crime in 2009 than Detroit. Detroit.

The problem with NJ's cities is that people still visit Memphis and Nashville. Crime is higher in Memphis than in Nashville and in fact, tourism increases. Why? Because these cities still have attractions, friendly people, and businesses that make it all worthwhile. NJ doesn't have one city that isn't a piece of decaying slime with no redeeming value.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel much safer when in beautiful Tennessee than in the urban slums of "Jersey" any day.
Personally I'd rather live in beautiful rural Jersey over Tennessee any day. Also, Ocean City is one city that is not a "decaying slime with no redeeming value" I could go on and list others if you like.

Anyway, this is about states (which NJ is among the safest) not cities (which NJ has both some of the safest (Brick, NJ safest city in the U.S.) and most dangerous(Camden))

Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Not most of them, some are VERY nice. When it comes to instate, "Detroit" generally refers to the entire Detroit area, not just the city itself.
I understand what you mean, but in the context of our conversation, we were clearly talking about the city and not the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.