Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times

Advertisements

I can't stand malls, I only shop downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
for shopping, id pick a mall cause they're more convenient. especially nice malls that were designed by award winning architects and include exclusive shopping options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXdn09hdOiE
Do you even have a choice? Orlando has no downtown shopping.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
As much as CD Forum users tend to hate malls, keep in mind that you guys don't view things the same way as the general public. Walkable downtowns are a nice ideal, but Americans still like suburban malls.

Family Takes Rare Trip To The Good Mall | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The new wave is the lifestyle center, the open air concept which allows for being outside, easier access to the stores you want to go to, and a better selection of stores versus the crappy filler stores in most regional malls.
The lifestyle centers I've been to seem to have the same old stores that can be found in most regional malls. They're just newer.

Not to mention that many of these "new wave" shopping centers are found ... in the 'burbs.

With big ol' parking garages in them.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Do you even have a choice? Orlando has no downtown shopping.
Of course they do. Stop making yourself such an easy target and stick to what you know...which apparently is about three square miles of NJ .

Downtown Orlando Shopping | DowntownOrlando.com

Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Of course they do. Stop making yourself such an easy target and stick to what you know...which apparently is about three square miles of NJ .

Downtown Orlando Shopping | DowntownOrlando.com
On top of that there is park ave.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
For me, when it comes down to it I would want to live in a city that has a mall. My second preference would be a Whole Foods.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Okay, so I want to know why are so many people against the malls these days and age? I suppose some people believe that malls kill downtowns, but it has to be more than that. I really enjoy malls and their food courts and walking around seeing all the different people. The only reason I can see people going downtown is for the bars, nightlife, and upscale shopping. Also, people are saying malls and strip malls is a conservative thing. How is that a conservative thing?
Where I live they opened a new WALMART Super Store which is killing both the Mall and what is left of Downtown. The WALMARTING of America goes on. One of thhe saddest things I've seen is the begining of the movie 12 Monkeys' where Bruce Willis is roaming around the ruins of Wanamakers Department Store across from City Hall. As a child going there at Christmas for the massive Displays and shows which in the movie are covered with cobwebs. I'm sure Williis had this in mind, being from the Philadelphia area. The original story took place in France.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where I live they opened a new WALMART Super Store which is killing both the Mall and what is left of Downtown. The WALMARTING of America goes on. One of thhe saddest things I've seen is the begining of the movie 12 Monkeys' where Bruce Willis is roaming around the ruins of Wanamakers Department Store across from City Hall. As a child going there at Christmas for the massive Displays and shows which in the movie are covered with cobwebs. I'm sure Williis had this in mind, being from the Philadelphia area. The original story took place in France.

Well the one good thing is that even though Wannamakers is now Macys - they still do the Christmas light and water show every year, even with the pipe organ. I was very happy to take my daughter there last year to see it There is something special about these grand old stores, especially around the holidays!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I'm glad to see that so many dislike malls as much as me. To the person that said he'll take Georgetown over whatever. I agree. I'll take G'Town in DC over Tyson's Corner anyday.

Also, it's funny someone brought up Wal-Mart. Where I lived in Texas, Wal-Mart was the spot. It out did the mall and other places. It was the social spot of the city. Now how sad is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.