Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:35 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maine and Hawaii are the only states without Poisonous snakes
Hawaii I get, it's an isolated island chain and those tend not to have poisonous snakes, but why Maine? My guess would be "too cold" but then you'd think Alaska would fit too. Although maybe Maine is drier than Southern Alaska, which is Pacific Northwest type climate just cooler. I might have answered my own question, but then there would also be "why Maine and not New Hampshire too?" They border and mostly the two are at about the same latitude.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Great post and thread, although I disagree with some of what you said.

You are from Dayton, and please don't misunderstand, as I know you know Ohio from personal experience way better than I do.

But as someone who is not from there who has only visited, and I don't want to minimize whatever struggles the state is facing,

but I think the big 3 C-cities are a major exception to what you describe.

Akron, Toledo, Dayton, and absolutely Youngstown maybe seriously struggling the way you describe, but Cincy, C-Bus, and Cleveland do indeed have a critical mass of population and assets, that they are realizing that.

Cincy, is still a corporate giant with Proctor and Gamble, and MANY others. Columbus has an economy and population growth that is better than Chicago, Cleveland while struggling economically more so than the other two,
is exremely diverse, with many of the same ethnic neighborhoods that one might find in Chicago. And has seen its urban nieghborhoods become nightlife hotspots.

To suggest that Ohio ONLY offers wholesome family living, is nonsense. Maybe outside of the big 3 C-cities, but those cities themselves at least in certain specific aspects have very superlative qualities.

And in the cities themselves you have lots of religious diversity. All three have significant Jewish populations, and are probably majority catholic. Cleveland with Italian americans, eastern europeans, and hispanics (mostly puerto ricans, and cincinnati - well thats largely German catholics with some Irish, but you get the point. The big three Cs are very diverse.

I like your post, but the citizens of the three Cs should stand up and shout out that at least collectively the have everything and every counterpart that Chicago has.

I mean come on, Ohio is NOT Iowa!! (No offense to Iowans)
Well said Tex, maybe you should have written the original post...

Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,032 times
interesting. I remember a bunch of SLC natives tell me how much more sun they have there than we have here in Nebraska. Come to find out they have 241 and we have 223 which is a difference of 18 days. I now have proof they are merely talking out of their.....

Old 10-16-2011, 05:49 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hawaii I get, it's an isolated island chain and those tend not to have poisonous snakes, but why Maine? My guess would be "too cold" but then you'd think Alaska would fit too. Although maybe Maine is drier than Southern Alaska, which is Pacific Northwest type climate just cooler. I might have answered my own question, but then there would also be "why Maine and not New Hampshire too?" They border and mostly the two are at about the same latitude.
because the snakes are in a small pocket in SW New Hampshire, not bordering Maine

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
because the snakes are in a small pocket in SW New Hampshire, not bordering Maine
That makes sense, thanks

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Ohio has natural beauty.
Ash Cave at Hocking Hills State Park

You obviously don't need mountains or the ocean to inspire everyone. More people live in Ohio and it is larger in terms of GDP than any New England state. And that's with seventy years of stagnation or decline. Lastly if you don't think Ohio is green you are sad.

Ohio has no coniferous or mixed forests like the rest of the cloudy states so not enough winter greenery to combat all of the cloudy days!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Having lived in Dayton half your life, I can sort of see why you think the rest of the state is falling apart. Unfortunately for your opinion (and Dayton), it's just not reality.

Further, Ohio and Ohioans have absolutely nothing to feel bad or ashamed about. If anyone gave history even a casual glance, they would know that. The movies of Hollywood, the lights of Times Square, the fact that we're even still the United States... we can thank Ohioans for. The list goes on and on. And it is especially ironic that you said Ohio was "flyover" considering flight came from your hometown.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ohio has no coniferous or mixed forests like the rest of the cloudy states so not enough winter greenery to combat all of the cloudy days!
Yeah, all us Ohioans are just depressed and sad all the time. If only other people from all 49 other states would just come save us from ourselves and our terrible, never-ending weather.

Seriously, some of you remind me of when Conan's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog did the Hawaiian weather.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
There is so much wrong with the 1st post, I will attempt to correct some of it.

Some has already been corrected. Cedar Point, not Cedar Park. Ohio does have venomous snakes, copperheads. There are plenty other states greener than Ohio. Vermont more schools per capita, so does Massachusetts. NFL started in Canton, not Dayton. etc etc etc

What do you mean "Cleveland needs to be rebuilt from the ground up"? and how did you come to the conclusion that Clevelanders hate Cincinnati? I don't get that at all up here, from what I've seen most don't care either way. I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati and there is a definite hate or at least dislike towards Cleveland with some of the residents down there. how is Dayton is the true heart of Ohio? Ohio one of the most tolerant states? please elaborate. Every big city in Ohio is not half black, yes Cleveland 53%, Cincinnati 45%, Dayton 43%, but Columbus is 28%, Toledo 27%, Akron 31%. How is Toledo the worst big city in Ohio? Ohio is about right in the middle of the crime per capita ranking of all states.

The most ridiculous part so far: "At one time the Dayton-Cincy corridor was the largest industrialized area in the entire world". lol? and since when has Dayton and Cincinnati been 1 corridor? they were very separate until recently and I'm sure the time you think you're speaking of was some time in the 1800s and or early 1900s, and to say the "entire world" is simply laughable. Please come with actual facts to back this up.

I'm sure there is a lot other errors in your post but I don't have the time right now. Please elaborate and clarify the above if you can.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Pennsylvania produced more steel than Ohio did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.