Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states are southeastern? (Multi-choice option)
Alabama 68 75.56%
Arkansas 28 31.11%
Florida 77 85.56%
Georgia 87 96.67%
Kentucky 27 30.00%
Louisiana 42 46.67%
Maryland 10 11.11%
Mississippi 59 65.56%
North Carolina 80 88.89%
Oklahoma 3 3.33%
South Carolina 86 95.56%
Tennessee 60 66.67%
Texas 7 7.78%
Virginia 62 68.89%
West Virginia 19 21.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
If you think Texas isn't responsible for projecting its culture onto the whole country via GWB and endless "whole nother country" ads with cowboys in them, you're delusional.
Texas as a state most definitely has done its share of "whoring" itself out to the world, but that's mostly been the work of the backwards good ol' boys and bubbas. That's still no excuse for the media stereotyping and marginalizing the state the way they do. Unless you're suggesting that it's perfectly fine for someone to make sweeping generalizations about a place of more than 20 million based off of the actions of a few characters that have "represented" us in the past.

They highlight people like George Dubya and Rick Perry, and say "This is Texas", because that's the entertaining, stereotype-laced Texas that the world likes to see. Beyonce is another powerful figure who's from here, but you won't see many people associating her with the state, because she's not a "believable" Texan.

Would you be fine with everyone in the world assuming that all Louisianans looked and acted like Lil' Wayne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Yep, Beyonce is from Texas, but her beauty doesn't fit the mold of what everyone's media-created fantasy of Texas is. They rather have Jessica Simpson be that representative. Or GWB(Who isn't that evil of a guy to begin with). Many different Texans of different backgrounds.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM

True, but I digress, since this thread isn't about Texas, but the Southeast. We don't want to get in trouble for being off topic.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But now looking through this thread its obvious that we have a why range of opinions here. For example, I get the impression from your post, that you see the Southeast as a cultural thing. While I see the entire South as a cultural thing and the Southeast (and South Central) as more a geographical thing.
Same here. While it can be debated if Louisiana is part of the Southeast (I think it's a little iffy, but won't debate someone if he/she asserts as much), there's no denying that it, along with east Texas, is part of the deep South which has more cultural overtones.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
If you think Texas isn't responsible for projecting its culture onto the whole country via GWB and endless "whole nother country" ads with cowboys in them, you're delusional.
You have a certain good point there, I admit. BUT...the real delusional image of Texas being a "western and cowboy" state originally stemmed from the Hollywood "western movies" (which I love as much as anyone, but were actually filmed in Arizona and southern California).

As much as anything, that cinema really started this whole false imagry of Texas being a "western" rather than what it is and always has been. That is, essentially Southern. The real delusion is any notion that Texas history and culture is not a product of the American South. Texas is Southern, all in all. Its commonality -- historically or culturally -- with a Colorado or Arizona in the sense of being "West" are little to nothing. Texas is a "western" state in the same way Kansas is a "western" state. Meaning, only it is not "eastern". A comparison I can think of that fits well is Texas is a western state with Wyoming in the same general way Alabama is an eastern state with Ohio.

Just on a related tangent, and while I realize personal experience doesn't count for empirical fact...my fiance, who is a native Colorado gal, said she noticed the difference immediately when moving to Texas how it was obviously a Southern state. The accents, the mannerisms, the whole culture was completely different than where she came from. To repeat it all, Texas is absolutely not a western state if by that definition it involves a culture and history in kinship with the West of the Mountains and interior SW. It has never been true and the whole notion that it is stems from Hollywood myth, not reality. Texas is Southern not Western.

Of course the cattle and cowboy icon is very real, but at the same time, how many know that the prototype of the original Texas cowboy was not the Mexican vaquero...but the Old South cattle drover type? Which only makes sense as the real cowboys of frontier Texas WERE mostly southeasterners who came west to get a new start?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Same here. While it can be debated if Louisiana is part of the Southeast (I think it's a little iffy, but won't debate someone if he/she asserts as much), there's no denying that it, along with east Texas, is part of the deep South which has more cultural overtones.
You hit the nail on the head. "Deep South" is not interchangeable with "Southeast". The former is a reference to culture, while the latter term should be purely about geography.

"The East" is historically and currently regarded as that part of the country that is east of the Mississippi.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
We have our share of idiots too, but we don't try to run them for president, we just try to run them out of town.
If you wanted to run him out of town, you wouldn't have re-elected him in 2006.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you wanted to run him out of town, you wouldn't have re-elected him in 2006.
I didn't. Mail-in votes from Houston and Atlanta did.

I hate that guy more than you know, so don't try to associate me with him.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I didn't. Mail-in votes from Houston and Atlanta did.

I hate that guy more than you know, so don't try to associate me with him.
Now you know how Texans feel about Rick Perry. In 2006, Rick Perry won the election for governor with only getting 39% of the vote.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To me, Alabama is definitely Southeastern because it's east of the Mississippi. You can't really use time zones as a factor; some Midwestern states are in the CST zone and some are EST. I've not seen any definition of Southeastern that doesn't include Alabama. It's pretty much a given.
Alabama as a whole is the state that is the farthest east and still is completely within the central time zone. Really, in my opinion, Alabama should be in the eastern time zone, like much of Indiana and Michigan, which is on a comparable longitudinal line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.