Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times

Advertisements

In a simple answer: no.

I have two principles with regards to this: I never pick up hitchhikers, and I'd do everything I could to avoid hitchhiking. I don't trust strangers in those situations....it's far from stereotypical to end up being assaulted, robbed, or killed in situations like this, whether you're the driver yourself or the hitchhiker, and just not worth chancing. Better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,979 times
Some of this should be obvious, but in case it's not:

Firstly, I hope you have a good back-pack. and know to travel light. and have a sleeping bag. maybe, even a small, lightweight tent. Travel light.
You may have to walk a few miles, now and again. Good shoes are a must. plenty of good socks.

Don't carry a lot of cash. Carry a prepaid debit or or ATM card, and don't wave it around. Keep it and your cash and your ID ON YOUR PERSON, not in you baggage.

Buy a good atlas and take it with you.

the State of Kansas hates hitchhikers. The state patrol there tends to be rather ugly about it. Avoid Kansas, if possible.

IF you get a ride with someone that is headed into the city, it's usually better to have the drop you off outside the city, and try to get a ride through it. inside a major city can be difficult. More than once, I've had to buy a greyhound ticket out to the 'burbs.

Yes, it can be dangerous. Don't take it lightly.

Be willing to pony up for gas once in a while, but not often.

Stay hydrated. carry some energy bars along. You can get stuck not be able to find food and water for a few hours.

Truckstops can be useful. Most of them have showers. However most of them don't like hitchhikers, so you may need to stash your bag nearby.

Some of the KOA campgrounds will let you shower there, as well. State campgrounds are good, too.

Some drivers will pick you up because they are trying to get somewhere and need company to keep them awake. you need to keep them awake. If you don't they will boot you and take their chances.

When a car stops, get a look inside before jumping in. Trust your instincts, and don't get in if your alarms are going.
when getting out, leave a door open until you get your stuff out of the car.

Don't carry anything with you that you can't afford, or are unwilling to lose.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 AM

A side note.
Truckers have a name for hitchhikers.
Road rats.

No, not all truckers are nasty, but they are not your friends, either.
Usually, they pick you up for a reason. It helps if you know what that is.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM

208 posts, read 837,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
In a simple answer: no.

I have two principles with regards to this: I never pick up hitchhikers, and I'd do everything I could to avoid hitchhiking. I don't trust strangers in those situations....it's far from stereotypical to end up being assaulted, robbed, or killed in situations like this, whether you're the driver yourself or the hitchhiker, and just not worth chancing. Better safe than sorry.
Do you ever leave the house?

You remind me of this lady who was scared of me when all I was trying to do is get directions.
She acted as though I was trying to rape her, and made it SOOO obvious that she was crossing the street to avoid me.
As a man, it made me feel really uncomfortable. And made her look like a.....well.....like a cuñt, honestly.

It was one of those twilight moments for me.
Kinda like the time when I was waiting in line at the supermarket for like 15 minutes and then this guy behind me accused me of cutting the line.
It was so bazaar because I was standing there for 15 minutes. Kinda makes you go and

And for what its worth, my mom found out I was hitchhiking and freaked out and demanded in getting me a train ticket. Soooo, crisis averted....for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
A side note.
Truckers have a name for hitchhikers.
Road rats.

No, not all truckers are nasty, but they are not your friends, either.
Usually, they pick you up for a reason. It helps if you know what that is.

What do you mean? Like they want a blow-job or something? Because once I was on a bus enroute to Green River, UT and I was talking to this vagabond who said that once this trucker touched his leg and kept coming on to him. The trucker basically wanted to get homo with the vagrant. The vagabond eventually had to pull out his knife to make clear he wasn't a ƒag. The trucker just let him out and that was that.
CRAZY!!

Last edited by xpxexaxcxex; 03-06-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM

I once was hitching from South Florida up to Boone, NC.
I got a ride up to near Jacksonville, NC and headed west.

Two guys picked me up. they were headed to Nashville. I was in luck.
Then the passenger turned around and held out a handful of pills.
Red and blacks, yellowjackets, some other stuff. Said, "Here, have some candy."

When I tried to politely refuse, he held his other hand up. It was holding a rather large revolver.

So, I picked out a number of yellowjackets, and red and blacks, and a couple of downers, just to take the edge off.

He started telling me their story after it seemed I had gobbled up the candy. (I managed to let a few drop into my shirt, but I knew I was gonna be awake for awhile.)

Seems these two were marines who had gone AWOL from Camp lejeune. They had found a pharmacy somewhere, and broken in, gathered up all the goodies they could find and stolen a car to head West. They planned to go to Nashville, maybe hook up with a band and get rich. OR, they could sell all the candy and head to California.

Naturally, I started to get a bit nervous. THEN, as we are rolling west, a cop car appears coming the other way. The passenger slide the Ruger to the driver, and reaches in the glovebox for another revolver, even bigger.
The both watch the cop until he disappears to the west.
The guy looks back and tells me, "We ain't goin t jail, man." He gets a big grin on his face.

So after a while, we stop for gas, and I says, " You know, I think I am going t head north from here and go visit some friends up toward Greeneville. "

Passenger says, I thought you said you were going to Boone. No you planning to go off and call the cops on us, ain't ya? " He starts playing with the gun, and looking back at me. The driver hops back in, and off we go.

They start talking about me. Driver says, "You're going to Boone, right?"
I smile and say, "Yep, I reckon I'm going to Boone."

So we trundle along the highway in this stolen car, full of drugs and guns, and AWOL Marines, and every time a cop comes into view, they start fondling their guns, and looking really fidgety.

I am really feeling the buzz, and my little brain is working overtime. Scenarios of cops stopping us run through my head.
I can see it.
Cop pulls us over, get shot, we take off, it gets called in, more cops, a running gun battle ends up the the scene from Thunder Road, and after the smoke clears, I am the only survivor.

The cops figure this dirty old hippie done hopped these fine young defenders of freedom up, got 'em to steal the car, and bust the drug store, and then held 'em hostage till the cops showed up to rescue them. They would just shoot me there on the spot.

I prayed and sweat, sweat and prayed, drank a beer whenever they handed one back to me.

Finally we rolled into Charlotte, and they pulled into a station, and said, "OK, we going west from here, don't be tellin nobody about us, now"
I promised I wouldn't say a word, grabbed my bag and all but run for the other side of the road.

Soon as they were out of sight, I pulled my shirt tail out, and shook all the rest of them pills into the gutter, grabbed my bag and started walking north.
When I got out of town I dropped to my knees and thanked God for getting me through that.

Never heard anything else about those guys, reckon the finally crashed out somewhere, and got woke up by the cops and taken back to camp lejeune.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM

208 posts, read 837,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmac View Post
i once was hitching from south florida up to boone, nc.
I got a ride up to near jacksonville, nc and headed west.

Two guys picked me up. They were headed to nashville. I was in luck.
Then the passenger turned around and held out a handful of pills.
Red and blacks, yellowjackets, some other stuff. Said, "here, have some candy."

when i tried to politely refuse, he held his other hand up. It was holding a rather large revolver.

So, i picked out a number of yellowjackets, and red and blacks, and a couple of downers, just to take the edge off.

He started telling me their story after it seemed i had gobbled up the candy. (i managed to let a few drop into my shirt, but i knew i was gonna be awake for awhile.)

seems these two were marines who had gone awol from camp lejeune. They had found a pharmacy somewhere, and broken in, gathered up all the goodies they could find and stolen a car to head west. They planned to go to nashville, maybe hook up with a band and get rich. Or, they could sell all the candy and head to california.

Naturally, i started to get a bit nervous. Then, as we are rolling west, a cop car appears coming the other way. The passenger slide the ruger to the driver, and reaches in the glovebox for another revolver, even bigger.
The both watch the cop until he disappears to the west.
The guy looks back and tells me, "we ain't goin t jail, man." he gets a big grin on his face.

So after a while, we stop for gas, and i says, " you know, i think i am going t head north from here and go visit some friends up toward greeneville. "

passenger says, i thought you said you were going to boone. No you planning to go off and call the cops on us, ain't ya? " he starts playing with the gun, and looking back at me. The driver hops back in, and off we go.

They start talking about me. Driver says, "you're going to boone, right?"
i smile and say, "yep, i reckon i'm going to boone."

so we trundle along the highway in this stolen car, full of drugs and guns, and awol marines, and every time a cop comes into view, they start fondling their guns, and looking really fidgety.

I am really feeling the buzz, and my little brain is working overtime. Scenarios of cops stopping us run through my head.
I can see it.
Cop pulls us over, get shot, we take off, it gets called in, more cops, a running gun battle ends up the the scene from thunder road, and after the smoke clears, i am the only survivor.

The cops figure this dirty old hippie done hopped these fine young defenders of freedom up, got 'em to steal the car, and bust the drug store, and then held 'em hostage till the cops showed up to rescue them. They would just shoot me there on the spot.

I prayed and sweat, sweat and prayed, drank a beer whenever they handed one back to me.

Finally we rolled into charlotte, and they pulled into a station, and said, "ok, we going west from here, don't be tellin nobody about us, now"
i promised i wouldn't say a word, grabbed my bag and all but run for the other side of the road.

Soon as they were out of sight, i pulled my shirt tail out, and shook all the rest of them pills into the gutter, grabbed my bag and started walking north.
When i got out of town i dropped to my knees and thanked god for getting me through that.

Never heard anything else about those guys, reckon the finally crashed out somewhere, and got woke up by the cops and taken back to camp lejeune.

epic

Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,938 times
It's just not a good idea because you are basically putting yourself out there for no-telling-what. I mean, we could say the same about driving a car, taking a flight or riding a roller coaster -- that it is a risk. However, with hitchhiking, you are basically at risk for going out Horror movie-style. I don't recommend it and wouldn't be able to talk myself into doing it, but to each his own. Also, it's probably not a good idea to pick up a hitchhiker, sometimes the hitchhiker could be the problem.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Some of this should be obvious, but in case it's not:

Firstly, I hope you have a good back-pack. and know to travel light. and have a sleeping bag. maybe, even a small, lightweight tent. Travel light.
You may have to walk a few miles, now and again. Good shoes are a must. plenty of good socks.

Don't carry a lot of cash. Carry a prepaid debit or or ATM card, and don't wave it around. Keep it and your cash and your ID ON YOUR PERSON, not in you baggage.

Buy a good atlas and take it with you.

the State of Kansas hates hitchhikers. The state patrol there tends to be rather ugly about it. Avoid Kansas, if possible.

IF you get a ride with someone that is headed into the city, it's usually better to have the drop you off outside the city, and try to get a ride through it. inside a major city can be difficult. More than once, I've had to buy a greyhound ticket out to the 'burbs.

Yes, it can be dangerous. Don't take it lightly.

Be willing to pony up for gas once in a while, but not often.

Stay hydrated. carry some energy bars along. You can get stuck not be able to find food and water for a few hours.

Truckstops can be useful. Most of them have showers. However most of them don't like hitchhikers, so you may need to stash your bag nearby.

Some of the KOA campgrounds will let you shower there, as well. State campgrounds are good, too.

Some drivers will pick you up because they are trying to get somewhere and need company to keep them awake. you need to keep them awake. If you don't they will boot you and take their chances.

When a car stops, get a look inside before jumping in. Trust your instincts, and don't get in if your alarms are going.
when getting out, leave a door open until you get your stuff out of the car.

Don't carry anything with you that you can't afford, or are unwilling to lose.
Ah yes...I forgot it's illegal as well to hitchhike in many states. One more risk to add on.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,866 times
I would so pick up a hitchhiker I would not ask a hitchhiker for gas money, because I just really would not care I guess. ...and I REALLY want to hitchhike, just not by truck drivers. I know it's dangerous but I guess I'm somewhat of a thrill-seeker, and a tad bit naive. SO I say go for it, if you get hurt don't complain. You had fun all the while...oh. that sounded bad. Nonetheless if it is dangerous or not, I say do what you want. I repeat. DO what you want. what ever happens, happens I guess. Just don't make it a habit...and stay away from the creepier people. goooodluuckk

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM

202 posts, read 864,038 times
I'm sorry, but I would never pick up a random hitchhiker! There are too many crazy people in the world. I'm sure there's some statistic about me being more likely to be killed by a flamingo than by a hitchhiker but still I am not going to take the chance. Just as I would never want to hitchhike, as the person crazy enough to pick up a hitchiker may be too crazy for my risk averse self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.