Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
You have to see things from a American point of view.

Why visit another land when you have
everything you could possibly want just
traveling America.
Actually, when you travel outside of America, you quickly realize just how small a slice of the world America really is - in spite of it being a significant country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
well I can stay in a nice resort at the beach in the States. lol I never understood the point in going down to Mexico for that kind of thing.
Outside of Hawaii, there are no beach resorts in the U.S. comparable to those in Mexico.

The Riviera Maya has absolutely world class beaches. That's why Americans go there. The Gulf and the Atlantic are nowhere close (and please don't mention the freezing Pacific).

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 PM

83 posts, read 125,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Outside of Hawaii, there are no beach resorts in the U.S. comparable to those in Mexico.

The Riviera Maya has absolutely world class beaches. That's why Americans go there. The Gulf and the Atlantic are nowhere close (and please don't mention the freezing Pacific).
ok, well the Carolina beaches work for me. I can go out on the Isle of Palmes and then go to downtown Charleston later. Don't have to spend a lot of money or travel time either.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
ok, well the Carolina beaches work for me. I can go out on the Isle of Palmes and then go to downtown Charleston later. Don't have to spend a lot of money or travel time either.
I can go to a sewer runoff with a lawn chair, doesn't make it nice. I've been to the Yucatan and Baja and they are both nicer than anything I've seen in Florida or CA, not sure about Hawaii.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just really think that people who love to travel (and I am including myself in that group) shouldn't be so quick to judge those who choose, for their own very unique and personal reasons, to limit their travel to the US. Yes, you do learn a lot by traveling to other countries, but once again, we get back to the TIME and DISTANCE issues, which are pretty darn big issues.

Family, accrued vacation days, finances, etc - these are valid reasons for not undertaking a big international vacation.

Besides that, lots of people, myself included, don't like taking farflung vacations on a shoestring budget. I prefer comfortable hotels so I can get a good night's sleep before each action packed day. The idea of staying in a youth hostel makes my skin literally crawl. I don't want to hitchhike through Europe - I'd rather rent a car or buy a EurRail pass (also expensive). And especially when you factor in just how nice and fun a vacation $2500 will buy you in the states, including visiting all sorts of historical sites, exploring new cultures and cuisines, new experiences...I think those are valid reasons to stay closer to home till one can afford the time and money necessary to go on a VACATION that THEY would enjoy.

It's not a moral issue, folks - it's a matter of priorities and personal preferences.

That being said, whenever I hear someone discussing where their next vacation will be, I always do encourage them to consider visiting a foreign country. And you just might be surprised at how many friends and acquaintances have already done so - and will do so again. In their own good time and when it's most convenient for THEIR family and their schedule and finances.
Modern youth hostels are clean and comfortable, just look at reviews and try to find one which has private bedrooms or is not next to a bar if you are worried about noise.

I had a Eurail pass, not expensive for me since I got a youth discount (anyone under 26).

Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
The American working hours I think is the big culprit. My last job and most jobs in America offer none (have to get your shift covered) or barely a few weeks of personal leave for sickness or leisure. My last job I got two weeks a year. If I took a trip to anywhere overseas it would suck up most of my time off. Not like the spoiled French that get, what? A whole MONTH of paid vacation and the government will even subsidize that vacation if you have three kids! Nope, nothing so generous in America. lol.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, I have always heard those stats, but I don't believe them.

The claim is "the average professional job in the U.S. has 16 days off, including holidays".

I have never had a job that had less than three weeks vacation, plus around 10 holidays (New Years Eve/Day, MLK Day, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas) at a minimum. Many job also include Presidents Day, Veterans Day and (in the Northeast, especially) Columbus Day.

My current job gives me 4 weeks vacation annually plus all overtime is converted to comp time, which is essentially vacation time. I have over 300 hours vacation, even though I take three vacations per year of at least one week, and one of those always abroad.

My wife is the same. Never had a job with only 16 days off, even though she has had some jobs with less-than-good working conditions. My brother is also the same. I don't know these "average professional jobs" that are being claimed. Even non-professional office jobs tend to give minimum 2 weeks vacation, which along with minimal holidays would put you above the 16 day claimed average.

And Americans have more disposable income than Europeans, which means that Americans can afford to travel much more than Europeans.
MichiVegas? Do you live and work in Michigan or something? Must be nice living in a state so unionized and with such generous benefits. Try living in a state like Florida where most jobs are tourism based and you can have all the time off if you want but you better get it covered! lol.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Modern youth hostels are clean and comfortable, just look at reviews and try to find one which has private bedrooms or is not next to a bar if you are worried about noise.

I had a Eurail pass, not expensive for me since I got a youth discount (anyone under 26).
That's great and I'm sure you had a blast. Most people who are in college don't have the funds (unless they come from someone else) to travel internationally. Most people out of college and under 26 don't either!

But like I said, if you have the funds for it, I would definitely recommend international travel.

As for youth hostels - no thanks. Besides the fact that I'm 51, I'm also spoiled to a good night's sleep in a comfortable private room with a private bathroom. And lest I be accused of not being adventurous enough, walking the El Camino de Santiago is on my bucket list - I'll make an exception in that case. Though I'll probably regret it about three nights into the trip, and I'll be on my phone scouring the area for hotels!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
You have to see things from a American point of view.

Why visit another land when you have
everything you could possibly want just
traveling America.
That would only apply as an American point of view to an American who has never left the country before. Once you leave the USA you realize how many amazing places there are in the world. Especially different cities and cultures. America has awesome natural areas for sure, but for urban/cities most of ours are pretty lame, stale and fairly souless compared to much of the world.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
MichiVegas? Do you live and work in Michigan or something? Must be nice living in a state so unionized and with such generous benefits. Try living in a state like Florida where most jobs are tourism based and you can have all the time off if you want but you better get it covered! lol.
No, I live in California, and in private sector.

Maybe my experiences are unusual, but I really do not know any professional jobs with only 16 days off. I don't know how that would be possible unless people are forced to work on Christmas or something, or they don't even have two weeks vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.