Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Since you mentioned BBQ, how does Kansas City sound? It gets hot in summer, and receives nearly 20 in. (50 cm) of snow in an average year.
I agree completely.

Hot summers? Check.
Snowy winters? Check.
BBQ? CHECK!

Kansas City is the obvious choice, and all of these other suggestions fall short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
Hey, St. Louis has BBQ too

Check Mate!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffytools View Post
Hi.
First post, so please be pleasant with me

The missus and I (both early 30s) are looking for somewhere to move in the States, where we will have lovely winters with lots of snow but also warm and hot summers, with lots of BBQ at night.

I don't mind the occasional thunderstorm, in fact I love them, but we are just fed up with the one season we have here in England, cold and rain.

We have a green card and employment is not that important, as self-employed. The main point really is the weather.

We were originally looking at Flagstaff, AZ, but they have about 200 nights per year below 40F, might be a chilly.

Any ideas? We are considering any of the 50 states.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kevin
Kansas City..hot summers, cold winters, really good BBQ.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Talk about morons....These places that are suggested by you lunatics get 20 inches of snow in an average year. That's just bread crumbs compared to what a snowy winter is actually like. I bet well over half of the moisture in winter comes from rain in these places. How is that snowy?

And while we're on the subject low 80's is not spring weather. You must be crazy if you think that. I challenge you to find one place that has either snowpack breaking up or spring blooming when it averages above 80F. The trees in Minneapolis are always in full summer leaf in summer, because 80F is hot and summer-like.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,142 times
Winter in Chicago sucks. They only get like 30 inches of snow and the rest of the winter its either absolutely freezing with temps around 10F or lots of rain and mixed precipitation. Now Minnesota might fit your bill better. They get real snow up there except the temps are probably colder. Flagstaff is the best of both worlds. Winter gets 100 inches but its not to cold and summers are gorgous around 80-85F

Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Talk about morons....These places that are suggested by you lunatics get 20 inches of snow in an average year. That's just bread crumbs compared to what a snowy winter is actually like. I bet well over half of the moisture in winter comes from rain in these places. How is that snowy?

And while we're on the subject low 80's is not spring weather. You must be crazy if you think that. I challenge you to find one place that has either snowpack breaking up or spring blooming when it averages above 80F. The trees in Minneapolis are always in full summer leaf in summer, because 80F is hot and summer-like.
If you want hot summers and snowy winters I suggest California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona or even New Mexico. Of those places listed, California would be the best as it has the best combination of hot/snowy places.

For starters the Eastern Sierras get very warm in the summer, 80+ is very common. And winters see 100-250 inches of snow depending on your elevation and distance from the crest of the Sierras. The best example would be Mammoth Lakes, 211 inches of snow per year, average July high temp of 78 and over 300 days of sunshine...but it's pretty isolated.

Truckee, CA on I-80. About an hour and a half from San Francisco, 45 minutes from Reno. 200 Inches of snow, and an average July high temp of 83F.

Also, South Lake Tahoe, CA gets into the 90's in the summer time and picks up more than 200 inches of snow as well.

If that's not snowy enough, Serene Lakes/Norden/Soda Springs, CA about 15 minutes away from Truckee on the western side of Donner Pass gets 400 + Inches of snow (March snowpacks there routinely exceed 20 feet) and the same warm California sunshine. Summers are a tad cooler, do to altitude but still quite warm and even hot on occasion.

Alta, Utah is great as well. Hot, dry summers with 500 inches of snow in the winter time to boot. And not to far from SLC.

Colorado is similar, though you aren't gonna see as much snow. Washington and Oregon get the most snow but are too cold/wet.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

I beg to differ. Freezing rain, sleet, and snow are all equally as likely and common...and black ice is a common problem.

lol, Minneapolis does NOT average 80 degrees during any month of the year. the lower to mid-70s is more like it if we are talking average temperatures. And 80 degrees is not hot and summer-like..it's considered very pleasant and tolerable by anyone who has ever experienced a real summer. Those summers are going to be too cool if the poster is looking for a hot summer. And temperatures in Minneapolis usually never top the mid-80s...it is almost never unbearably hot and humid.

And you base your figures squarely on snowfall...that's not all that comprises a severe winter. St. Louis gets freezing, sleet, and does frequently get well below 32 degrees, especially in January. Are our winters severe? No. But they are moderate and capable of being severe. They are severe much more often than Minneapolis' summers are unbearably hot and humid.

And once again, you want to call us morons...all we are saying is that the cities we suggested come the closest to giving both really hot summers and really cold winters.

If you think Minneapolis' summers are so hot and unbearable, you should pack up and move to Yellowknife in Northern Canada.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Winter in Chicago sucks. They only get like 30 inches of snow and the rest of the winter its either absolutely freezing with temps around 10F or lots of rain and mixed precipitation. Now Minnesota might fit your bill better. They get real snow up there except the temps are probably colder. Flagstaff is the best of both worlds. Winter gets 100 inches but its not to cold and summers are gorgous around 80-85F
Except I think this poster wants hot summers, not pleasant ones. However, the climate you're suggesting is one I'd like to live in. I'm not a fan of hot summers and the winters I experience where I live are cold and snowy, but not to my satisfaction and not with a truly severe winter.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
THere really are not that many places that match the OPs request. If you want cold snowy winters, hot summers and some T-storms I would say Mn, Wi and Mi are really the best fit. However the winters REALLY are cold there, and if your not ready for it you will be shocked. If its snow your looking for specifically then western Michigan along lake Michigan or the shoreline of Lake Superior delivers the most snow. (now where in those three states lack for snow however). Another choice for the climate your looking for minus the thunderstorms is the mountain country of West Virginia, North Carolina and Virgina. Upper New England worth a look too. In my opinion the three upper midwest states of Mi, Mn and Wi have the climate you described exactly.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
THere really are not that many places that match the OPs request. If you want cold snowy winters, hot summers and some T-storms I would say Mn, Wi and Mi are really the best fit. However the winters REALLY are cold there, and if your not ready for it you will be shocked. If its snow your looking for specifically then western Michigan along lake Michigan or the shoreline of Lake Superior delivers the most snow. (now where in those three states lack for snow however). Another choice for the climate your looking for minus the thunderstorms is the mountain country of West Virginia, North Carolina and Virgina. Upper New England worth a look too. In my opinion the three upper midwest states of Mi, Mn and Wi have the climate you described exactly.
I just don't think the upper midwest and New England have what could be considered hot summers. Warm summers? Maybe. Hot? No. Not by U.S. standards. Compared to even the average summer all three of these states are pretty cool in the summer. This poster wants HOT summers, so I'm assuming they want summers typical of the southwest, south, or central-to-lower midwest. MO, IA, IL, NE, KS, IN, and OH all give a decent taste of all four seasons. Even KY and WV I'd say satisfy this criteria. However, if the OP doesn't want it unbearably hot, which is what I'd generally prefer, then yes, I agree those three states you mentioned are the best fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.