Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM

160 posts, read 397,802 times

Advertisements

I would say that the way a region is perceived from outsiders holds just as much weight as how people who live in the area define it. That being said, I don't agree with NYC being mid-Atlantic whatsoever. If I had to follow state lines, I'd only say MD, DE, and DC are entirely in that region. But if I could, I'd include southern Jersey and northern VA. Maybe southern PA too, but I don't know that area well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
I would say that the way a region is perceived from outsiders holds just as much weight as how people who live in the area define it. That being said, I don't agree with NYC being mid-Atlantic whatsoever. If I had to follow state lines, I'd only say MD, DE, and DC are entirely in that region. But if I could, I'd include southern Jersey and northern VA. Maybe southern PA too, but I don't know that area well.
This is a very reasonable, and accurate, deduction, minus your first sentence.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
New York City is definitely part of the Mid Atlantic. Its just on the northern fringes of the Mid Atlantic area. New York City is definitely not part of New England.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
New York City is definitely part of the Mid Atlantic. Its just on the northern fringes of the Mid Atlantic area. New York City is definitely not part of New England.
After living nearly a decade in that region, every NYer I encountered (and with whom the subject was brought up), referred to NY as being in the Northeast.

If you're going by Census definitions, then DE, MD, DC, and VA are in the South.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I usually agree with you on various issues, but this is pretty inconsistent with your usual stance, as you have gone to GREAT lengths to prove that much of Missouri is not southern, to the point of "turning blue" yourself...

Missouri doesn't border Canada, and it's not the first state I think of as being "northern", but it doesn't have to be, either..
Ok, you dont get it......and I dont really appreciate the "blue" comment, btw.
Tell me ONE thing MO has in common with upper-tier northern states.
Just one.
The culture is not the same, neither is the geography.
You have never lived in the lower Midwest, so you cannot understand the mindset.
I really do not understand why is is that you believe everything has to be strictly North/South.
Thats consistent with viewing everything in black and white, and refusing to see everything is really just infinite gradations of gray.
One last thing, you have seen that I am certainly not the only one that has spoken about the MO/Southern issue, I dont even know why you brought it up, as it is a non sequitur.

Quote:
I would say that the way a region is perceived from outsiders holds just as much weight as how people who live in the area define it.
Please.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
After living nearly a decade in that region, every NYer I encountered (and with whom the subject was brought up), referred to NY as being in the Northeast.
The Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic region can go hand and hand. When people ask me what region I'm from, I usually say the Northeast before I say Mid-Atlantic but that doesn't mean I don't live in the Mid-Atlantic region. Are you getting it?

Quote:
If you're going by Census definitions, then DE, MD, DC, and VA are in the South.
It seems like your trying to put words in my mouth , being in the Mid-Atlantic region has little to do with the Mason-Dixon line.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-25-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:

It seems like your trying to put words in my mouth , being in the Mid-Atlantic region has little to do with the Mason-Dixon line.
.... who said anything about the Mason Dixon line? I am asking, what definition of the Mid-Atlantic you adhere to - The MD, DE, VA, DC definition (the most common in my experience), or the US Census definition of NY, NJ, PA? If you are going by the Census definition, I am informing you that the Census classifies MD, DE, VA, and DC as Southern and not Mid-Atlantic.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
.... who said anything about the Mason Dixon line? I am asking, what definition of the Mid-Atlantic you adhere to - The MD, DE, VA, DC definition (the most common in my experience), or the US Census definition of NY, NJ, PA? If you are going by the Census definition, I am informing you that the Census classifies MD, DE, VA, and DC as Southern and not Mid-Atlantic.
I'm going by the definition that includes the DC area to the New York City area. The census version is probably the furthest from reality. Its puts way to much emphasis on the Mason-Dixon line, as I have said this in previous posts.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I'm going by the definition that includes the DC area to the New York City area. The census version is probably the furthest from reality. Its puts way to much emphasis on the Mason-Dixon line, as I have said this in previous posts.
Basically, your definition fuses the Census definition with the more common (at least in my area) definition of Mid-Atlantic. I don't think the Census definition puts too much emphasis on the Mason-Dixon line. If that were the case, it wouldn't include Delaware in the South as it is north and east of the Mason-Dixon. It simply goes by history and culture at the time the Census regions were established.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ok, you dont get it......and I dont really appreciate the "blue" comment, btw.
Tell me ONE thing MO has in common with upper-tier northern states.
Just one.
The culture is not the same, neither is the geography.
You have never lived in the lower Midwest, so you cannot understand the mindset.
I really do not understand why is is that you believe everything has to be strictly North/South.
Thats consistent with viewing everything in black and white, and refusing to see everything is really just infinite gradations of gray.
One last thing, you have seen that I am certainly not the only one that has spoken about the MO/Southern issue, I dont even know why you brought it up, as it is a non sequitur.

Please.
One thing? Missouri harvests a lot of corn. As do Iowa, and Illinois, and Minnesota, and Wisconsin..

Unlike you, I have also lived in both the Midwest and the Northeast, and going from one to the other didn't require much of a adjustment at all. I could go from Wisconsin to Maine to Vermont to Illinois to upstate NY, and I would have no trouble talking about dairy farming, or hockey, or shoveling snow, or the Catholic Church, or Blue state politics, or enjoying freshwater lakes, etc, etc,etc. I don't particulary care what you decide about Missouri--just don't tell me about some wide chiasm between Midwest and Northeast, because in quite a few cases, it doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.