Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
One thing? Missouri harvests a lot of corn. As do Iowa, and Illinois, and Minnesota, and Wisconsin..

Unlike you, I have also lived in both the Midwest and the Northeast, and going from one to the other didn't require much of a adjustment at all. I could go from Wisconsin to Maine to Vermont to Illinois to upstate NY, and I would have no trouble talking about dairy farming, or hockey, or shoveling snow, or the Catholic Church, or Blue state politics, or enjoying freshwater lakes, etc, etc,etc. I don't particulary care what you decide about Missouri--just don't tell me about some wide chiasm between Midwest and Northeast, because in quite a few cases, it doesn't exist.
^^^This.

Not to mention that the Midwest and Northeast trade a ton of transplants.

Whether people like it or not, the two regions are culturally aligned and geographically associated.

I think the problem is that some people from the Midwest are mistaking the urban northeastern coast to be the entire Northeast. Which it is most certainly not. The Bos-Wash corridor dos NOT reflect on the Northeast as a whole. The Midwest has the mostly rural plains, the Northeast has the mostly rural northern Appalachia. In both areas there a great divides in culture from the urban centers.

Bear in mind that much of the rural Northeast tends conservative in the same way the rural Midwest does, with some exceptions like smaller college towns.

As a final note, ask any southerner if they think there's a difference. You'll likely get an answer along the lines of "a Yankee is a Yankee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
One thing? Missouri harvests a lot of corn. As do Iowa, and Illinois, and Minnesota, and Wisconsin..

Unlike you, I have also lived in both the Midwest and the Northeast, and going from one to the other didn't require much of a adjustment at all. I could go from Wisconsin to Maine to Vermont to Illinois to upstate NY, and I would have no trouble talking about dairy farming, or hockey, or shoveling snow, or the Catholic Church, or Blue state politics, or enjoying freshwater lakes, etc, etc,etc. I don't particulary care what you decide about Missouri--just don't tell me about some wide chiasm between Midwest and Northeast, because in quite a few cases, it doesn't exist.
Corn.
Thats all you could come up with?
Your Catholic analogy is laughable as applicable to MO, as is the snow shoveling one as well.
As far as the bolded comment, in quite a few cases, yes, it does.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
^^^This.

Not to mention that the Midwest and Northeast trade a ton of transplants.

Whether people like it or not, the two regions are culturally aligned and geographically associated.

I think the problem is that some people from the Midwest are mistaking the urban northeastern coast to be the entire Northeast. Which it is most certainly not. The Bos-Wash corridor dos NOT reflect on the Northeast as a whole. The Midwest has the mostly rural plains, the Northeast has the mostly rural northern Appalachia. In both areas there a great divides in culture from the urban centers.

Bear in mind that much of the rural Northeast tends conservative in the same way the rural Midwest does, with some exceptions like smaller college towns.

As a final note, ask any southerner if they think there's a difference. You'll likely get an answer along the lines of "a Yankee is a Yankee".
Most Missourians refer to folks in the NE as Yankees.
Not from any cultural standpoint, its a definition.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Corn.
Thats all you could come up with?
Your Catholic analogy is laughable as applicable to MO, as is the snow shoveling one as well.
As far as the bolded comment, in quite a few cases, yes, it does.
You only asked for one. I could rattle off quite a few...

Quite a few Catholics in St. Louis and KC, but anyway..

The Midwest is much more than just Missouri, but not in your parochial mind. Maybe you'll visit other parts of it...someday.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Currently:

Live: Charlotte, NC
What region?: Southeast

I'll be starting college in August, so I'll do that one too:

Live: Morgantown, WV
Region: Mid-Atlantic (but if it had to be north or south, I say South)

Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,161,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post

Live: Morgantown, WV
Region: Mid-Atlantic (but if it had to be north or south, I say South)
I take quite a few day trips to Morgantown and have a really hard time calling it Southern. More like Northern Appalachia... not much different than Southern PA a few miles away. In my opinion, one has to travel South of Clarksburg to start feeling like he/she is in the South in WV.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You only asked for one. I could rattle off quite a few...

Quite a few Catholics in St. Louis and KC, but anyway..

The Midwest is much more than just Missouri, but not in your parochial mind. Maybe you'll visit other parts of it...someday.
Not a lot of Catholics in KC.
I do believe you meant to say the concentration of Catholics are in the Mississippi River Hills area, and along the Missouri west of STL, right?
The rest of your post is nothing but a personal attack and shows that you have nothing to bring to the table.
You have no idea where I have lived.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Most Missourians refer to folks in the NE as Yankees.
Not from any cultural standpoint, its a definition.
Missourians are mostly Yankees by Louisiana's reckoning. :V

Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Missourians are mostly Yankees by Louisiana's reckoning. :V
A friend of mine from Shreveport doesn't agree with that. (Well at least around this part of Missouri anyway)

Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
I only think of St. Louis as being Northern, but I have a hard time calling the rest of MO Northern. The are parts that are Southern, but the rest is neither Northern nor Southern.

I dont think most people here in Memphis think of MO as Northern, at least most people I talk to. Some even think it's a Southern state, which isn't correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.