Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,401 times

Advertisements

I lived in CT for 50 years.. Now in VA midpoint on the western side of the state far from its northern border.
People here speak w/an accent & have a much nicer conversational climate. Its the south for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Apparently, Cincinnati had a postcard at one time proclaiming itself as the "Gateway to the South."

Here's what the card looked like.
Makes sense as it sits on the Ohio river. In my opinion Kentucky is the top of the south.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
There is always a lot of discussion about what the dividing lines between the North and the South are. I was wondering if we could do a poll of C-D users to help determine this issue. So simply state 1) your location, and 2) whether you consider yourself to live in the North, the South, or are unsure. I'll start:

1) Lansing, MI
2) North
How about if we measure the distance between the northern-most and southern-most point of the contiguous US and divide it by two?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
How about if we measure the distance between the northern-most and southern-most point of the contiguous US and divide it by two?
That is good for a geographic matter, but bad for a cultural and climactic one. For the most part, regions generally don't respect latitudes. They respect hard geographic and political boundaries.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Makes sense as it sits on the Ohio river. In my opinion Kentucky is the top of the south.
Louisville is the real "Gateway to the South." It doesn't make sense to call Cincy that because it's not the south. Nor is the region of Kentucky right below it. The northern half of Kentucky is a transition zone between the Midwest and south. The south in Kentucky IMO begins when you reach Louisville, Frankfort, and Lexington. Both Louisville and Lexington actually proclaim themselves as the places where the south starts.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Louisville is the real "Gateway to the South." It doesn't make sense to call Cincy that because it's not the south. Nor is the region of Kentucky right below it. The northern half of Kentucky is a transition zone between the Midwest and south. The south in Kentucky IMO begins when you reach Louisville, Frankfort, and Lexington. Both Louisville and Lexington actually proclaim themselves as the places where the south starts.
I thought it was weird to see that postcard. I don't think of Cincinnati as even being in the south.

One other thing--since it's on the Ohio side, shouldn't it be "Gateway to the North?"

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
I thought it was weird to see that postcard. I don't think of Cincinnati as even being in the south.

One other thing--since it's on the Ohio side, shouldn't it be "Gateway to the North?"
yeah, it'd be better if it were "Gateway to the North" but then again, the North isn't really a unified region like the South, so that postcard would sound weird too. They just need to just not use "gateway" haha.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Pretty much my thinking. I've never heard Cincinnati call itself Gateway to the South, ever.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
What I meant is that "gate" made sense. A gate isn't necessarily part of the region it leads too. Same as how a door to the bathroom isn't actually part of of the bathroom behind it.

I get what you're saying of course. But I wasn't calling Cincy southern, simply a door.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
a brand new civil war would tell us where exactly that DIVIDING line stands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.