Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
St. Louis' climate is NOT southern...I don't know what this craze is all about... As far as north/central Maryland, I wouldn't consider those places southern.
That was what I was trying to say... you never seem to understand my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
That was what I was trying to say... you never seem to understand my posts.
I guess in this case, you are right. I apologize.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Clearly Baltimore isn't southern. I know quite a few Baltimorons who identify as southern and I find that to be a big stretch. As a Marylander from south of US-50, I call myself southern, even if my state as a whole leans northern.

My comparison of St Louis to Baltimore was to show that St Louis was not southern climate-wise, as Baltimore (a clearly not southern city) is hotter than St Louis and similarly snowy.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
Branson, Missouri. Dont even have to think about it, South.

Last edited by imbored198824; 07-16-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Baltimore is in climate zone 8, surrounded by climate zone 7, while St. Louis is in climate zone 5/6. St. Louis on average gets snowfall similar to north/central Maryland. This last winter though winters were nonexistent everywhere but Colorado from what I understand. Climate doesn't really make a place southern though.

The weirdest thread i've seen on this site about the north/south discussion was a thread about how southern Pennsylvania was. Apparently someone from New England decided to take a trip to my home of Pennsyltucky and concluded that they were in the south.
Colorado did not get much snow this winter, in Denver nor the mountains.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Colorado did not get much snow this winter, in Denver nor the mountains.
Okay.
This whole winter was weird everywhere I guess. Not a single bit of snow in my part of Maryland, and hardly any in central Pennsylvania. I really didn't notice the heat wave this summer until today in MD, when I went outside and it looked like a tropical rainforest. Instead of the usual hot, sticky, but generally clear Maryland weather the entire woods and farm was covered in a steamy fog.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
One way i can tell my area is southern. Dixie stampede, Gone with the Wind museum, Dixie Outfitters, Southern Oaks Inn, Southern Country Inn, Geat Southern Bank....just a few of MANY that pay homage to the south . I could never see myself livin north of I44!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
One way i can tell my area is southern. Dixie stampede, Gone with the Wind museum, Dixie Outfitters, Southern Oaks Inn, Southern Country Inn, Geat Southern Bank....just a few of MANY that pay homage to the south . I could never see myself livin north of I44!!!
Branson I agree is part of the south. More like Arkansas than most of Missouri for sure. Very big difference from Springfield and Joplin.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
No it's not. The South doesn't usually get winters averaging around 20 inches of snow. St. Louis is the Midwest, not the south. As far as paltry winters are concerned, our winters are not much different from KC, Indy, etc.
We had a very mild winter last season, as did much of the US, but the year before we had well over 30 inches of snow and it was a cold winter as well.

This may not impress any of the northern tier states, but it is definately not southern.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM

66 posts, read 127,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Wow interesting- I consider Cleveland north and I'm in NY
There is no one in Cleveland that would even consider themselves in the "south" .. I really don't know what ChiMinBus is thinking on this one, I would really like to hear the argument.

Anyways..

Cleveland
North

Cincinnati
North - But the culture here is very much understanding that its on the border. This also has made it a little more mixed - people north of the river will also have accents (Fairfield, Hamilton, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.