Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You must mean NYC New Yorkers. No one I knew ever considered Delaware southern.

Hell, my mother doesn't even consider West Virginia southern and she's born and bred upstate NY.
WV can have very bad winter weather, especially driving the hilly roads. Elkins does average 70 inches of snow annualy, not a paltry amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
However, the climate of St. Louis is pretty much like the South these days due to warming temperatures. The winters there are very paltry as well.
No it's not. The South doesn't usually get winters averaging around 20 inches of snow. St. Louis is the Midwest, not the south. As far as paltry winters are concerned, our winters are not much different from KC, Indy, etc.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I wonder if northern Kentucky was more Southern at the time that postcard was created. Also, does the gate itself have to be in the South? Would you consider St. Louis to be part of the West?
That term is much more outdated than "Gateway to the South". St. Louis' nickname originated during a time when anything west of there was considered the west.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Baltimore is in climate zone 8, surrounded by climate zone 7, while St. Louis is in climate zone 5/6. St. Louis on average gets snowfall similar to north/central Maryland. This last winter though winters were nonexistent everywhere but Colorado from what I understand. Climate doesn't really make a place southern though.

The weirdest thread i've seen on this site about the north/south discussion was a thread about how southern Pennsylvania was. Apparently someone from New England decided to take a trip to my home of Pennsyltucky and concluded that they were in the south.
St. Louis' climate is NOT southern...I don't know what this craze is all about. Are our summers hot? Yes. So are Omaha's, Kansas City, Des Moines, and Indy's. Snowfall levels are "paltry" in all of these except Des Moines if you want to use that definition. Personally, I consider those snowfalls to be moderate. Anything that exceeds 30 inches is what I'd call "snowy." Anything approaching 20 inches but below 30 I'd consider moderate. We get all four seasons...hot summers, moderate winters. It can get bonechillingly cold here in January. I've lived here 25 years. Snowfall in excess of 30 inches is nothing that surprises me, nor are temperatures in the single digits. As far as north/central Maryland, I wouldn't consider those places southern. The winters are too cold and snowy to be considered such. There seems to be no room for "in-between" in these forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
WV can have very bad winter weather, especially driving the hilly roads. Elkins does average 70 inches of snow annualy, not a paltry amount.
Culturally and demographically West Virginia is part of the south. THe reason it gets such heavy snow amounts in Elkins is due to its being located in the Appalachian Mountains. Using climate alone to classify a place as southern, or any single aspect alone, is like saying because it has a beak and flies it must be a duck.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I noted the difference going from Cincinnati, over the river, and up the hill...suddenly there was an accent.
Maybe you entered the transition zone, hmmmmm? Dialect maps and linguistic studies suggest otherwise. Just because you happen to hear a southern accent in a place doesn't mean it's the dominant dialect. Cincinnati is not the Gateway to the South because it is not southern culturally, demographically, etc. Calling a Midwestern city the Gateway to the South is ridiculous. The transition to the south from Cincinnati takes place over roughly 100 miles...by the time you reach Lexington, you're without question in the south.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I thought the first one did that?
A lot can change in 150 years. All of the historic "border" states now lean overall toward either the North or the South (Kentucky and WV to the south, MO, MD, and DE the other way).

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
However, the climate of St. Louis is pretty much like the South these days due to warming temperatures. The winters there are very paltry as well.
I'd agree our winters aren't severe, but I would not call them mild. It almost always gets cold in the winter and snows in excess of 20 inches fairly frequently. More like the South than before? I'd agree. Pretty much like the south? That's a drastic step to take...until I hear of winters where below 32 daytime temperatures almost never happen, or when the average snowfall falls into the lower teens, will I agree with your statement. As far as our summers go, you will find plenty of Midwest cities with hot and humid summers besides St. Louis (Cincy, Omaha, Indy, central Illinois, etc.) The only parts of the south with winters like our's that aren't in the mountains are the extreme northern fringes.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Apparently not, considering Kentucky, West Virginia, and Maryland are usually grouped in the south, and often deep southerners claim Virginia is not in the south.
Maryland is grouped in with the south only because the Census Bureau uses the Mason-Dixon line. In most other modern respect, it does not fit the profile of a southern state. Deep Southerners who think that don't realize the South had different flavors depending on where you are. Opinions are opinions. Facts are facts, and most facts prove that Virginia is more like the South than any other region. The only parts that are not like the south are Northern Virginia, which without a doubt is the beginning of the Northeast from a modern standpoint.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Baltimore is in climate zone 8, surrounded by climate zone 7, while St. Louis is in climate zone 5/6. St. Louis on average gets snowfall similar to north/central Maryland. This last winter though winters were nonexistent everywhere but Colorado from what I understand. Climate doesn't really make a place southern though.

The weirdest thread i've seen on this site about the north/south discussion was a thread about how southern Pennsylvania was. Apparently someone from New England decided to take a trip to my home of Pennsyltucky and concluded that they were in the south.
New Englanders, Upper Midwesterners, and Deep Southerners all have one thing in common...at least the ones who think like the ones you describe...they are incapable of accepting the fact that within their own regions are sub-regions, some of which may be very distinct from their's. Stretching the south to include Baltimore and St. Louis would be the same as stretching the north to include Louisville, Lexington, and Richmond. Absolutely preposterous. Culturally, demographically, architecturally, etc...Baltimore fits the profile of a Northeastern city, and St. Louis a Midwestern one. Nothing southern whatsoever about them today. And the states in which they reside lean more to the Midwest and Northeast from a modern standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.