Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 AM

581 posts, read 969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I thought you were trying to argue these areas as being part of the north, not the south.
I am. The other guy mentioned southern heritage so I continued on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 AM

22 posts, read 17,564 times
Quote:
Jefferson County, Kentucky is entirely southern. other than that, I don't see the point of this post...you've completely reiterated what I said.
Got the wrong Jefferson county. I figured you would be thinking stl speak. I mean Jefferson county mo. My bad on my part. I know you say below stl start of transition zone, but Arnold is not transition. Now when you go further south into jeffco you can start picking up hints of southern, but IMO the transition zone begins when you enter st. Francois county, and as kshe said it becomes pretty southern when you hit Cherokee pass in Madison co. Jeffco while further out has traits its just not enough to give transition zone classification IMO.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
STL is not much warmer than either Cincy or Indy. Especially looking at these last few years. And onegoal, your ability to disguise yourself is nonexistent. Lower Midwest is the best description of STL, but Cincy and Indy are very much in that zone as well. As far as stuck in between, only in terms of the weather, but that's very much the case for Cincy and Indy, also near the fringes of the humid continental. And there are parts of the south which get colder and cooler, even in the summer, than areas to the north of us, so to say that's an argument for putting us in between is ridiculous, especially when one takes into account topography, which is very influential on an area's climate. In every other way besides weather, St. Louis is not transition, but solidly Midwest.
Excluding witcita ks, stl is the warmest Midwest major city. Well you have Evansville but they are basically in the south, and cape and Springfield are right at the southern line anyways basically located in the south and consider then southern before Midwest.

Actually the 1930s were a very warm period for st Louis and much of the nation. Look at some of those record highs back then. Wow. Also those were during drought years too the dust bowl. We are in a bad drought right now. While its been hot the humidity has not been bad. I can't remember a summer that has had such a dry low humidity heat.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM

163 posts, read 259,558 times
Washington, D.C.
North

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You must mean NYC New Yorkers. No one I knew ever considered Delaware southern.

Hell, my mother doesn't even consider West Virginia southern and she's born and bred upstate NY.
I mean NYC, Long Island and Westchester.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFoxFan View Post
Got the wrong Jefferson county. I figured you would be thinking stl speak. I mean Jefferson county mo. My bad on my part. I know you say below stl start of transition zone, but Arnold is not transition. Now when you go further south into jeffco you can start picking up hints of southern, but IMO the transition zone begins when you enter st. Francois county, and as kshe said it becomes pretty southern when you hit Cherokee pass in Madison co. Jeffco while further out has traits its just not enough to give transition zone classification IMO.
You might be correct about that actually.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFoxFan View Post
Excluding witcita ks, stl is the warmest Midwest major city. Well you have Evansville but they are basically in the south, and cape and Springfield are right at the southern line anyways basically located in the south and consider then southern before Midwest.

Actually the 1930s were a very warm period for st Louis and much of the nation. Look at some of those record highs back then. Wow. Also those were during drought years too the dust bowl. We are in a bad drought right now. While its been hot the humidity has not been bad. I can't remember a summer that has had such a dry low humidity heat.
As far as major cities in the Midwest, yes I agree STL is among the warmest, however, Kansas City, Indy, and Cincy are very close behind, only slightly worse in the winter, sometimes better, depends on the year. Omaha and Des Moines excluding winter are actually pretty close to STL in the other three seasons, especially the summer.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
As far as major cities in the Midwest, yes I agree STL is among the warmest, however, Kansas City, Indy, and Cincy are very close behind, only slightly worse in the winter, sometimes better, depends on the year. Omaha and Des Moines excluding winter are actually pretty close to STL in the other three seasons, especially the summer.
The best summer weather in the Midwest is Traverse City, MI. During a more average summer highs are mostly in the 70s and 80s throughout.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
You might be correct about that actually.
Arnold I would just say is hoosierish. I'm not using that as an insult but it's like a lower income area. Then you go further south in I55 to Imperial and it's newer, bigger homes, more money ect.

I won't deny the southern parts of Jeffco like Desoto, Hillsboro on south it does start to pickup a ozark feel and St. Louis has less of an influence than it does on northern jefferson county. But once you get into St. Francois county you feel the transition zone.

Easter MO is so odd because if you go due east into Ste Gen county the midwest feel comesback strongly, then the change is very sudden in Cape county like KSHE said.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I do wonder though why KY at the same lattitudes as St. Louis is cooler. Cincy is a bit north of St. Louis, but with the urban heat island I'd figure that the temps would be closer. Other areas of northern KY too are a tad cooler than Stl that sit slightly below our latitude.

It might be because of their locations, and something to do with the winds blowing from the north. because to the north it's cooler because of the great lakes. While areas to the west like in Missouri, Kansas that sit at the same latitudes have warmer summers. Could be because we are futher west and closer to the west where it's hotter.

There are a lot of factors that involve weather, micro climates ect.

Missouri is an interesting state for weather. NW MO is quite cold in the winter where averages highest are mid 30s, but then far SW MO the warmest area of the state places like Seneca the coldest average high in Jan is upper 40s! Joplin also has mild winters.

I could never live any more north of St. Louis. It's just too cold. I could get along well with southern Missouri winters and Imean places like Seneca, Joplin, West Plains, Branson, Caruthersville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.