Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
If you stretch the definition of southern enough to include St. Louis, Baltimore has more southern culture than St. Louis and is north of St. Louis. Therefore winning that title. But of course, Baltimore isn't really southern anymore, and St. Louis never really was that southern in the first place.
However, the climate of St. Louis is pretty much like the South these days due to warming temperatures. The winters there are very paltry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
However, the climate of St. Louis is pretty much like the South these days due to warming temperatures. The winters there are very paltry as well.
Baltimore is in climate zone 8, surrounded by climate zone 7, while St. Louis is in climate zone 5/6. St. Louis on average gets snowfall similar to north/central Maryland. This last winter though winters were nonexistent everywhere but Colorado from what I understand. Climate doesn't really make a place southern though.

The weirdest thread i've seen on this site about the north/south discussion was a thread about how southern Pennsylvania was. Apparently someone from New England decided to take a trip to my home of Pennsyltucky and concluded that they were in the south.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Baltimore is in climate zone 8, surrounded by climate zone 7, while St. Louis is in climate zone 5/6. St. Louis on average gets snowfall similar to north/central Maryland. This last winter though winters were nonexistent everywhere but Colorado from what I understand. Climate doesn't really make a place southern though.

The weirdest thread i've seen on this site about the north/south discussion was a thread about how southern Pennsylvania was. Apparently someone from New England decided to take a trip to my home of Pennsyltucky and concluded that they were in the south.
What really?

Rural/poor/run-down/small town/hunting/fishing/friendly people/good food/Nascar/farms do not equal southern. People make this mistake far too often. If central PA is southern, then New York's southern tier is southern too.

Urban New Englanders and Minnesotans seem to be the worst in assuming these things.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:

And I know plenty of people in Memphis who think St. Louis is in the South, but that doesn't make it so

Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What really?

Rural/poor/run-down/small town/hunting/fishing/friendly people/good food/Nascar/farms do not equal southern. People make this mistake far too often. If central PA is southern, then New York's southern tier is southern too.

Urban New Englanders and Minnesotans seem to be the worst in assuming these things.
Indeed, if Rural/poor/run-down/small town/hunting/fishing/friendly people/good food/farms equaled southern, then even a fair bit of Maine would be "southern"...

Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
St. Louis- the northernmost southern city.
I strongly disagree. I would say it's the southernmost northern city however.

As for the climate in St. Louis, I can tell you the winters are significantly milder just 100 miles to the south in terms of average snowfall, wind speed, and low temperatures.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
From my experience, most New Yorkers consider Delaware to be "the South." And I'm talking about the Newark area, not Milford.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
From my experience, most New Yorkers consider Delaware to be "the South." And I'm talking about the Newark area, not Milford.

Here in Pennsylvania i'm considered a southerner, being originally from Maryland, but my friends from New England seem to believe i'm from the deep south.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
You must mean NYC New Yorkers. No one I knew ever considered Delaware southern.

Hell, my mother doesn't even consider West Virginia southern and she's born and bred upstate NY.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:

Pennsylvania is not the South. It does have a very strong Appalachian culture in much of the state, though.

For some reason, many people think the Appalachian influences stop at the WV border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.