Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

Having been around the South during those times, I did witness a low crime rate in urban areas. Of course, there were a lot of community programs focused on keeping the teens occupied during the summer. I just loved watching those people helping each other and the community during the day and then at night, they put on the best plays and dances. There was never any fights or violence. People were surprised. That stopped later when these programs were stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:04 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
I think it was because those crimes were taking place on the street, rather than in prisons. You have to remember that much if not most of the violence during the crack wave was criminal on criminal. Nowadays, since the justice system is harsher and more people are locked up, that stuff doesn't end up on the record books since they're already in jail. So it's given the illusion of a safer society.

It doesn't seem like random violence towards innocent people has declined to the same extent as violence as a whole, though I'd have to look at the stats.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Many baby boomers came of age in the 1970s, and youth generally committ most of the violent crime; baby boomers ( and I'm one of them) are much more sedate now--aging tends to do that to people..
Many of those youth were Vietnam vets too...while the vast majority of Vietnam vets were upstanding citizens wars tend to desensitize a certain type of person to violence....there were large waves of violent crime that followed the Civil War and WWI. This alone wouldn't have caused it, but, along with the other factors mentioned may have been a large contributing factor.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:33 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Many baby boomers came of age in the 1970s, and youth generally committ most of the violent crime; baby boomers ( and I'm one of them) are much more sedate now--aging tends to do that to people..
Interesting theory, but crime remained sky-high in the 80s and early 90s, when Generation X was coming of age.They were a such smaller demographic than the Baby Boomers.

As a matter of fact, Millennials outnumber gen-Xers considerably, yet crime dropped during their formative years.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Stagflation, high interest rates, high unemployement

Old 12-16-2016, 04:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

Crime dropped in most places, compared to the early 90s.

Reference: Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's quite ironic that crime today is almost as low as it was in 1960...that pristine era when everything was supposedly so perfect.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Lack of access to abortion is probably also a factor. And crack/heroin going unchecked in inner cities.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
By the late 70's, illegitimate babies, rapidly increased by the late 60's, had gotten to their teens, and two parent households had by then disappeared. After the 1980's crime statistics were re-calculated, re-categorized, and since, cannot be compared to crime statistics of former years. Meantime, violence in TV and movies became so glorified that many naïve children were very attracted to it. There's just as much crime today as there was 40 years ago. You can be sure of that. It's just not reported.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM

469 posts, read 549,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
By the late 70's, illegitimate babies, rapidly increased by the late 60's, had gotten to their teens, and two parent households had by then disappeared. After the 1980's crime statistics were re-calculated, re-categorized, and since, cannot be compared to crime statistics of former years. Meantime, violence in TV and movies became so glorified that many naïve children were very attracted to it. There's just as much crime today as there was 40 years ago. You can be sure of that. It's just not reported.

Hmmm interesting, in what way has it been re categorized? Most experts will say crime is def lower and we are safer as a country. Especially compared to 70's & 80's. just Google cop murders today as compared to the mid 70's the difference is astounding

Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Hmmm interesting, in what way has it been re categorized? Most experts will say crime is def lower and we are safer as a country. Especially compared to 70's & 80's. just Google cop murders today as compared to the mid 70's the difference is astounding
If it's such an issue to you, then go look it up. I'm not a college student writing a resource paper here. I just know. I've paid attention to this stuff for decades. Take my word for it. Or take Rachel Maddow's word - it's your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.