Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I was out there in February. I understand that San Jose is doing well. But over time, the state's anti-business policies will begin to weigh heavily there as well.
In terms of economic growth, it is growing faster than China. Just sayan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Ok, now I know you didn't do what I told you. READ IT CAREFULLY. Re-read the article and click on the hyperlink that takes you to the 140+ page report that the list is based on! Inside the report, look at the growth for every single metro area in the United States. I don't know what it is with you, but get butt hurt too quickly and jump to conclusions. Now tell me what you see in the study before you make another ill informed response.
there is nothing in there that negates my point. this list is baloney

Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
there is nothing in there that negates my point. this list is baloney
So tell me what the study lists Houstons growth at?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
Good thing about Charlotte...It's growing and developing newer and learning from the larger cities past mistakes

Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
So tell me what the study lists Houstons growth at?
what growth are you talking about?

the faulty GDP numbers they used?? that 340B or so number they used is about 50B less than the number reported by the BEA.

This is the BEA list for 2010:
01 New York City: $1.25 Trillion
02 Los Angeles: $708.9 Billion
03 Chicago: $514.1 Billion
04 Houston: $407.8 Billion
05 Washington DC: $396.2 Billion
06 Dallas-Fort Worth: $384.8 Billion
07 Philadelphia: $329.5 Billion
08 San Francisco-Oakland: $306.1 Billion
09 Boston: $297 Billion
10 Atlanta: $262.7 Billion

and you keep repeating that nonsense about SJ growing faster than China. Duh Sherlock. China is a huge country with a super huge GDP, percent-wise its growth will always be lower than metros like SJ. shid Del Rio Texas economy is growing faster than China. Big deal.

oh and FYI, among major metros Houston was right there with SJ. It was the second fastest growing major MSA in terms of economic growth

Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what growth are you talking about?

the faulty GDP numbers they used?? that 340B or so number they used is about 50B less than the number reported by the BEA.

This is the BEA list for 2010:
01 New York City: $1.25 Trillion
02 Los Angeles: $708.9 Billion
03 Chicago: $514.1 Billion
04 Houston: $407.8 Billion
05 Washington DC: $396.2 Billion
06 Dallas-Fort Worth: $384.8 Billion
07 Philadelphia: $329.5 Billion
08 San Francisco-Oakland: $306.1 Billion
09 Boston: $297 Billion
10 Atlanta: $262.7 Billion

and you keep repeating that nonsense about SJ growing faster than China. Duh Sherlock. China is a huge country with a super huge GDP, percent-wise its growth will always be lower than metros like SJ. shid Del Rio Texas economy is growing faster than China. Big deal.

oh and FYI, among major metros Houston was right there with SJ. It was the second fastest growing major MSA in terms of economic growth
The POPULATION growth, not the economic growth! Ugh, since you can't read for yourself, I'll do it for you. If you would have read through the entire study, you would have seen the list of the hundreds of metro areas and their projected growth. For Houston, it lists its metro POPULATION growth as 63.8% for a population of 10,182,500 people. For the record, Dallas was listed at 65.5% growth for a population of 11,034,200 people. "If we grew at that pace, why wasn't Houston on the list? Cities that grew slower than us made the list, but we didn't!" -You'll be thinking this. Well, if you had done the reading like I did, you would have realized that there were SCORES of metros posting massive growth. Not just the 10 that were listed. For the sake of posting an article that people will actually read, they only listed 10 OF the fastest growing metros, not THE fastest growing metros. it was simply cut down. So you see, if you had analyzed it, you wouldn't have had to cry in front of all of CD.

And regarding the China thing, China is usually growing at around 10% annually, more or less, however recently it has been around 8%. In comparison, Texas grew at around 4% for much of the last decade. For any metro, especially a major Cali metro, to be outdoing China at its own game is pretty impressive to me.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The POPULATION growth, not the economic growth! Ugh, since you can't read for yourself, I'll do it for you. If you would have read through the entire study, you would have seen the list of the hundreds of metro areas and their projected growth. For Houston, it lists its metro POPULATION growth as 63.8% for a population of 10,182,500 people. For the record, Dallas was listed at 65.5% growth for a population of 11,034,200 people. "If we grew at that pace, why wasn't Houston on the list? Cities that grew slower than us made the list, but we didn't!" -You'll be thinking this. Well, if you had done the reading like I did, you would have realized that there were SCORES of metros posting massive growth. Not just the 10 that were listed. For the sake of posting an article that people will actually read, they only listed 10 OF the fastest growing metros, not THE fastest growing metros. it was simply cut down. So you see, if you had analyzed it, you wouldn't have had to cry in front of all of CD.
that is exactly why the article is meaningless. it does not show what your silly title suggests.

You fail to see how meaningless 10 random metros are.

Oh look I will show you ten fast growing metros. Big whoop. why not show us the 10 fastest, by percentage or raw numbers or something?

anyway, no one is crying, it is called a discussion, I know Austin folk always think they are right and there is nothing to discuss

Quote:
And regarding the China thing, China is usually growing at around 10% annually, more or less, however recently it has been around 8%. In comparison, Texas grew at around 4% for much of the last decade. For any metro, especially a major Cali metro, to be outdoing China at its own game is pretty impressive to me.
Everyone knows SJ is doing better than the rest of Cali. No surprises there

Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM

You still don't see it do you. A STUDY was done, and huffington post decided to put up another top ten list. That's the point. The study is what is important. Nothing I said was factually incorrect. All I did was cite the study. I don't generalize people like you do either.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Come on guys, it's Friday. Everyone play nice and just agree that all these lists are pointless.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
I believe the Northeast will begin growing much faster than it currently has in a few decades because we're gradually gravitating to becoming a true metropolis. Amtrak and other companies are planning on building/updating rail over the next fe pw decades that'll be able to take from NYC to DC within 45 minutes. I know we're a dense region already but there are still gaps, and those gaps will be filled greatly when that rail comes in. I imagine everycity between NYC and DC becoming fast growing cities, maybe not growing by 90% because there too populated for that growth but they will grow by strong numbers to say the least.

California/West Coast cities have a major advantage over the East Coast though because their much closer to the fastest growing economies on the world as of today. If they actually utilize their position they could continue being prosperous and not begin to decline as many of us foresee at the moment. Anyways, I believe Houston will always be the largest most prosperous large Texan city because it has set up a genius pathway to only grow faster as time goes by. It has everything to be a mega-city, including a port, massive hospital facilities, NASA and high-tech companies can create a huge population boom, and etc. But this is not said to degrade other Texan cities, it's just simply the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.