Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
It's funny to see people here say " I know a Filipino" or "met a Filipino once" yada yada. Here in California they're literally everywhere fully integrated like nothing new.
Same with the DC area. A number of Filipino restaurants and grocery stores as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM

444 posts, read 665,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'm a religious minority from a really horribly messed up part of the Philippines (not saying that the rest of the Philippines isn't messed up, but jeez! Add all the above with an uncertainty of when a happy group of throat slitters will pay you a visit for some money/sack of rice/your shoes/etc.) and a lot of people I meet even IN CA have a hard time accepting the fact that I'm a Filipino Muslim. I guess my appearance and name are a throw off.
I own a restaurant in South Bay, San Diego and there seems to be a growing concentration of Visayan and Cebuan natives here. Is that where you're from? I get quite a few applicants that originally come from these areas as I see what high school and province they hail from. I have 2 Visayan employees and it's sooo interesting to hear them speak their native tongue. It's so much different from Tagalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt
I met a Filipina not long ago in Houston that was mixed with Indian from India. She looked straight up Indian yet spoke Tagalog fluently. Mixed races like this are very common in the huge melting pot that is Houston & Texas.
Wow that is sooo AMAZING! Wanna know another amazing fact? San Diego County alone has more Filipinos than all of "melting pot" Texas!Demographics of Filipino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
I own a restaurant in South Bay, San Diego and there seems to be a growing concentration of Visayan and Cebuan natives here. Is that where you're from? I get quite a few applicants that originally come from these areas as I see what high school and province they hail from. I have 2 Visayan employees and it's sooo interesting to hear them speak their native tongue. It's so much different from Tagalog.
My dad speaks Bisaya (he went to college in Cebu), but his native language is Maguindinaoan. Dad's family is from Mindanao (Southern Philippines), or more specifically, Cotobato City.

Mom is from Illocos Norte (she's a native Ilocano speaker), same town as Ferdinand Marcos. Way on the other side of the Philippines. Not as messed up as Mindanao, but it still has the typical 3rd world problems.

Parents communicate using a mix of Tagalog, Spanish, and English. Typical of people their age.

The Southern Philippines...kind of hard to describe to people. Best way to describe it is that its probably the most diverse part of the Philippines in terms of religion (of course, its still majorly Catholic and Protestant, but with a HUGE Muslim minority, and a large number of people believing in tribal religions), but with the Spanish, American, and now Philippine government sending large numbers of settlers from other parts of the Philippines to settle in formerly Muslim land to tie it in more closely with the rest of the Philippines.

If you can imagine, this has pretty much lead to on and off war for the past 500 years. Things have quieted down nowadays, but now its devolved from religion vs. religion to militia vs. militia, or clan vs. clan infighting among the Muslim population, not that we are that organized to begin with. A bunch of tribal rambos running around thinking they call the shots basically.

Islamic insurgency in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says it started in 1969, but it never really had a "start" or "end" period. It just keeps going and going and going.

Anywhere else in the Philippines is paradise in comparison, never mind anywhere in the Western World (including the most hick towns in the US)

Quote:
Wow that is sooo AMAZING! Wanna know another amazing fact? San Diego County alone has more Filipinos than all of "melting pot" Texas!Demographics of Filipino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have a few relatives in the Houston area. They like it there, but said the weather reminds them way too much of the Philippines in the summer. I also know one of my classmates from middle school (really really cute Filipina) who lives in Plano, TX (DFW area) now.

I'd rather not have all these ethnic communities just in California. I believe in spreading the wealth It makes our country collectively stronger!

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 08-25-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM

159 posts, read 491,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Obviously so given California is the gateway state into America from Asia.

Texas is no exception, Filipino's are everywhere & some have even been living here for the past 30-40+ years. Houston has the single largest Filipino population by far in the southern reaches of the country. Dallas is not far behind. Heck, even the smaller towns of Texas with sizeable medical facilities have lots of Filipinos working as doctors, nurses, home health, & in nursing homes. I live in a town of 100,000 & the head of our local BBB is a young Filipina-American.

I met a Filipina not long ago in Houston that was mixed with Indian from India. She looked straight up Indian yet spoke Tagalog fluently. Mixed races like this are very common in the huge melting pot that is Houston & Texas.
actually Washington state is the closest state to East Asia, in mainland US. California might be one of the gateway states, if you take that into consideration. I live in the North SF Bay Area and there aren't many Asian people in the city I live in (I'm half Chinese), and not a lot of Filipinos. It's really more Hispanic influenced most everywhere, rather than Asian, in California in general. Asians are mainly just in SF, Silicon Valley/San Jose, Sacramento, parts of the LA area, and parts of San Diego.

However in my city (Santa Rosa, CA) there is a small but growing community of Filipino people. I know a few Filipinos but I don't think there is a single Filipino restaurant or store in my whole city. I wish there was, so I could try it out. however, they have an annual Filipino American festival in my county so they bring some food and I tried the halo halo and a Filipino lunch snack and it was really good. there are many Filipinos in the San Jose area, and Vallejo/Fairfield.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
My dad speaks Bisaya (he went to college in Cebu), but his native language is Maguindinaoan. Dad's family is from Mindanao (Southern Philippines), or more specifically, Cotobato City.

Mom is from Illocos Norte (she's a native Ilocano speaker), same town as Ferdinand Marcos. Way on the other side of the Philippines. Not as messed up as Mindanao, but it still has the typical 3rd world problems.

Parents communicate using a mix of Tagalog, Spanish, and English. Typical of people their age.

The Southern Philippines...kind of hard to describe to people. Best way to describe it is that its probably the most diverse part of the Philippines in terms of religion (of course, its still majorly Catholic and Protestant, but with a HUGE Muslim minority, and a large number of people believing in tribal religions), but with the Spanish, American, and now Philippine government sending large numbers of settlers from other parts of the Philippines to settle in formerly Muslim land to tie it in more closely with the rest of the Philippines.

If you can imagine, this has pretty much lead to on and off war for the past 500 years. Things have quieted down nowadays, but now its devolved from religion vs. religion to militia vs. militia, or clan vs. clan infighting among the Muslim population, not that we are that organized to begin with. A bunch of tribal rambos running around thinking they call the shots basically.

Islamic insurgency in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says it started in 1969, but it never really had a "start" or "end" period. It just keeps going and going and going.

Anywhere else in the Philippines is paradise in comparison, never mind anywhere in the Western World (including the most hick towns in the US)

I have a few relatives in the Houston area. They like it there, but said the weather reminds them way too much of the Philippines in the summer. I also know one of my classmates from middle school (really really cute Filipina) who lives in Plano, TX (DFW area) now.

I'd rather not have all these ethnic communities just in California. I believe in spreading the wealth It makes our country collectively stronger!
Yup

Filipinos from all over the world know Houston & have family or friends living there.

Houston is like the LA of Texas in many ways.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Yup

Filipinos from all over the world know Houston & have family or friends living there.

Houston is like the LA of Texas in many ways.
It's nothing to brag on. Houston and DFW both have pretty tiny Filipino populations. Houston is 14 nationwide and DFW is 16. Also, it should be pointed out that neither metro area is attracting very many straight from the Philippines. The overwhelming bulk of Filipino migration is to the West Coast, NYC, Chicago, and Las Vegas.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
California may win in raw numbers but Hawaii has a much higher percentage of Filipinos than California. According to the 2010 Census, Hawaii is 15% Filipino, which is the largest ancestry in the state. It jumps up to 25% if you count mixed Filipinos. California is 3% Filipino (4% including mixed Filipinos), the largest Asian group in the state

Last edited by Smtchll; 08-26-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
It's nothing to brag on. Houston and DFW both have pretty tiny Filipino populations. Houston is 14 nationwide and DFW is 16. Also, it should be pointed out that neither metro area is attracting very many straight from the Philippines. The overwhelming bulk of Filipino migration is to the West Coast, NYC, Chicago, and Las Vegas.
Uhh...not really bro. Its quite the opposite, actually.

Filipino's are the 3rd largest Asian group after Vietnamese & Chinese represented in Houston. Places like Pearland, League City, Sugar Land, Katy, Alief, & even Galveston Island are chock full of Filipinos.

With the largest medical complex in the world, The Texas Medical Center its only natural Filipino's would flock to Houston. There are several restaurants & bakeries located around there not counting all the ones located in North Houston & on the Southwest side.

Houston has almost twice the Filipino population D/FW has. Filipino's like Vietnamese choose to live along the Gulf Coast because its so similar to where they come from. My good friends own a fresh seafood market/restaurant in Clear Lake over looking the Bay Area & they are Filipino. It got severly damaged by Ike, but they are slowly rebuilding.

The largest Filipino population in the South by far is in Houston.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 AM

60 posts, read 173,111 times
Let's turn the OP question around and ask, "Where in the US has the fewest Fil-Ams?"

(It's probably a tie between northern New England and the Great Plains...Pinoys don't do the inbred thing, I suppose.)

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Uhh...not really bro. Its quite the opposite, actually.

Filipino's are the 3rd largest Asian group after Vietnamese & Chinese represented in Houston. Places like Pearland, League City, Sugar Land, Katy, Alief, & even Galveston Island are chock full of Filipinos.

With the largest medical complex in the world, The Texas Medical Center its only natural Filipino's would flock to Houston. There are several restaurants & bakeries located around there not counting all the ones located in North Houston & on the Southwest side.

Houston has almost twice the Filipino population D/FW has. Filipino's like Vietnamese choose to live along the Gulf Coast because its so similar to where they come from. My good friends own a fresh seafood market/restaurant in Clear Lake over looking the Bay Area & they are Filipino. It got severly damaged by Ike, but they are slowly rebuilding.

The largest Filipino population in the South by far is in Houston.
As usual, you have nothing factual to back any of what you said up. The only true statement in this post is that Houston has the largest Filipino population in the South. Allow me to enlighten you:

I said neither DFW nor Houston receives many Filipino immigrants and that they flock to the West Coast, Vegas, Chicago, and NYC. That is factual. Click on supplemental table two from the link below:

Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2011 | Homeland Security

I said the South (including DFW and Houston) have relatively small Filipino populations and that they are mostly on the West Coast, Vegas, NYC, and Chicago. Thats true:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-11.pdf

You said the Filipino population in Houston is twice that of DFW. That is false:

Houston Filipinos: 39,452
DFW Filipinos: 24,065

American FactFinder - Results

American FactFinder - Results

Here are the Filipino populations from 2000. You can use the factfinder links above to calculate the population differences from 2010. As you can see the Filipino growth in Texas and the South was anemic compared to just about ever other area of the US. The growth in Las Vegas is especially notable:

Filipinos
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 304,349
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 199,857
3 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 166,232
4 Honolulu, HI 120,677
5 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 115,530
6 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 83,060
7 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 76,563
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 47,480
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 42,893
10 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 40,443
11 Vallejo-Fairfield, CA 33,829
12 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 32,609
13 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 29,601
14 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 24,680
15 Kahului-Wailuku, HI 22,756
16 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 21,938
17 Stockton, CA 19,776
18 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 17,643
19 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA 15,366
20 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 12,706
21 Jacksonville, FL 12,020
22 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 11,988
23 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 11,976
24 Hilo, HI 11,856
25 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 11,834
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.