Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Yuppies actually reinvigorated cities.
That could depend upon whether or not the cities needed invigorating in the first place. For that you would have to know the history of the particular city in question, the test would be living there before and after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 AM

13 posts, read 24,517 times
That's a good point. NYC did not need to be reinvigorated. It used to be a vibrant, livable, affordable city, albeit seedier here and there. But there was a mixture of classes, cultures-even in Manhattan.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
DC and NYC

Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Are there any cities who's overall character/vibe/personality, or nightlife atmosphere, etc. have been ruined by an influx of too many yuppies/snobby hipster types?

I've heard this suggested about both New York City and Washington DC.
Not sure I understand this. As a Yuppie and a DINK myself, I think Yuppies/DINKs only help a city.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM

630 posts, read 994,814 times
Seattle, Seattle, Seattle and Portland, Portland, Portland, Portland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a sad story. They used to be mellow and cool. Now, they're very expensive and have the California urban chaos.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Portland
Portland is still a good city. In fact I think hipsters have improved it. If the old Portland is anything like North Portland or East Portland, gimme the new!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Seattle, Seattle, Seattle and Portland, Portland, Portland, Portland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a sad story. They used to be mellow and cool. Now, they're very expensive and have the California urban chaos.
Um Seattle maybe, but Portland? Portland still feels like a small town. Maybe it doesn't feel like a larger Albany anymore, but it doesn't feel like California at all.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Um Seattle maybe, but Portland? Portland still feels like a small town. Maybe it doesn't feel like a larger Albany anymore, but it doesn't feel like California at all.
Portland never felt like a larger Albany. Nothing even close. What improvements have the hipsters made?

Last edited by Minervah; 11-25-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Not sure I understand this. As a Yuppie and a DINK myself, I think Yuppies/DINKs only help a city.
No you guys don't help the city. Yuppies are very pretentious, and they drive prices of rent out of the wall. Now I'm no yuppie, but my old neighborhood (fishtown, philadelphia) is filled with yuppies. I've been paying 600 dollars a month. Once the snooty pricks move in prices go up by 150%. I was forced to move. I'd respect yuppie more if they actually cared more about other people than themselves. My cousin is homeless because of this one snooty yuppie. The prick wanted 2 apartments in one and offered the landlord a crapload of money to break the wall in to combine the 2 apartments. My cousin had to match the price or be kicked out. He didn't have the money and was eventually kicked out the apartment and is now living with a friend until he finds another home. Yuppies help by doing what? By flashing around their money and showing off? They pay for dry ass turkey sandwiches from places that don't even make sandwiches, like Starbucks.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
No you guys don't help the city. Yuppies are very pretentious, and they drive prices of rent out of the wall. Now I'm no yuppie, but my old neighborhood (fishtown, philadelphia) is filled with yuppies. I've been paying 600 dollars a month. Once the snooty pricks move in prices go up by 150%. I was forced to move. I'd respect yuppie more if they actually cared more about other people than themselves. My cousin is homeless because of this one snooty yuppie. The prick wanted 2 apartments in one and offered the landlord a crapload of money to break the wall in to combine the 2 apartments. My cousin had to match the price or be kicked out. He didn't have the money and was eventually kicked out the apartment and is now living with a friend until he finds another home. Yuppies help by doing what? By flashing around their money and showing off? They pay for dry ass turkey sandwiches from places that don't even make sandwiches, like Starbucks.
That would be called the free market. If I were the landlord I would have taken the money too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.