Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Could be due to the serious crime problem Philadelphia is experiencing right now. Over 400 murders in 2012...
Haha! Oh man it's hilarious how hard delusional people need to try to make Philadelphia out to be less than it is or more dangerous than it is.

400 murders? What on Earth are you talking about? There were 329 murders in 2012.

No matter what any delusional people from the suburbs of other areas love to think about Philadelphia (Yeah, that's right... you're not even from other cities. You're from the cushy little suburbs outside of them), there is no "murder epidemic" in Philadelphia nor is crime "terrorizing" anybody outside of certain neighborhoods.

Sorry buddy but I was in high school the last time the city could be considering "Killadelphia": the Mid 2000s. Those years, the whole metro saw murder rates soar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
You can't find a more major city that's actually affordable than Philadelphia.
Houston is definitely more affordable than Philly, though I'd rather live in Philly than Houston (given the choice of just those two cities).

Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Houston is definitely more affordable than Philly, though I'd rather live in Philly than Houston (given the choice of just those two cities).
Houston's not more of a major city than Philadelphia though, and if Philadelphia never declined then nobody would have a leg to stand on when claiming it were. (Not saying you did try to claim that of course)

Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Haha! Oh man it's hilarious how hard delusional people need to try to make Philadelphia out to be less than it is or more dangerous than it is.

400 murders? What on Earth are you talking about? There were 329 murders in 2012.

No matter what any delusional people from the suburbs of other areas love to think about Philadelphia (Yeah, that's right... you're not even from other cities. You're from the cushy little suburbs outside of them), there is no "murder epidemic" in Philadelphia nor is crime "terrorizing" anybody outside of certain neighborhoods.

Sorry buddy but I was in high school the last time the city could be considering "Killadelphia": the Mid 2000s. Those years, the whole metro saw murder rates soar.
You're right, it was Detroit that had over 400 murders last year. But I don't think 329 murders is that low either, its murder rate per capita is way higher than Chicago's, yet they get all the negative publicity.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Chicago is probably the most affordable "world class" city in the industrialized world. Easy choice here.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Chicago is probably the most affordable "world class" city in the industrialized world. Easy choice here.
If you want to live in a ghettho then sure Chicago is afforadable. There are many bad areas but the good areas are very expensive. Northside chicago you cant find anywhere where the rent of apartment is below 800. Its expensive as hell. S Chicago is cheap but you more likely to be in a crime filled area, boarded up houses, thugs everywhere, lack of city services etc. I would say the most affordable world class city is probably not in the U.S anyways.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
If you want to live in a ghettho then sure Chicago is afforadable. There are many bad areas but the good areas are very expensive. Northside chicago you cant find anywhere where the rent of apartment is below 800. Its expensive as hell. S Chicago is cheap but you more likely to be in a crime filled area, boarded up houses, thugs everywhere, lack of city services etc. I would say the most affordable world class city is probably not in the U.S anyways.
800 a month for rent is too expensive for you?

If I found an apartment for $850 a month in the heart of Chicago, I'd call that a steal. Downtown Chicago and its surrounding area is mostly very nice and very safe, I would not mind living there for that price one bit.

Chicago is not as bad as they say. It had over 500 murders in 2012, in a city of about 3 million people. Detroit had over 400 murders, it's only 700,000 people, WAY higher per capita in Detroit.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 PM

What exactly makes a city world class? Is Seattle world class? I would say so.

Is Boston world class? I would say so, yet rather expensive.

Is St. Louis world class, even though it doesn't have a proper coast line, just a river? I would say so.

Is New Orleans world class? What about Detroit? What are the requirements?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Yes you can. My girlfriend lives in Lakeview for $750/month. When she moved this last summer, I helped her quite a bit and we found studios for under $700-$750/month in Lakeview. There are 1 bedroom apartments in Edgewater for $800-$850/month right on the red line. Same thing as on the NW side in areas like Irving Park (even less). My ex girlfriend used to have a convertible in Lincoln Park near a bunch of stuff for $800/month. My friend has a place in Gold Coast for $775/month.

Refer to my post before. I have real examples of this. People who don't think this need to do more research. This really shows you don't know what you're talking about, no offense.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
800 a month for rent is too expensive for you?

If I found an apartment for $850 a month in the heart of Chicago, I'd call that a steal. Downtown Chicago and its surrounding area is mostly very nice and very safe, I would not mind living there for that price one bit.
Oh man, it's common here actually. My girlfriend right now lives in a 2 bedroom apartment in Lakeview, a 3 minute walk to hundreds of restaurants, bars, eateries, shops, entertainment places, the lake, buses, and 3 blocks from a main train line. Her share? $750/month. I have friends in the same area who pay less than $600/month in a 4 bedroom apartment and others around $700. When I was looking with my girlfriend for places to move to this summer, she found tons of studios in the same area for under $750/month. Nice 3 bedroom apartments for $2100/month total in the same area. This is a hot neighborhood too.

If you go north of that on the train route a few stops, you can find even cheaper. My girlfriend's former place in Ravenswood/North Center was $550-$575/month with one other roommate right near a major train line (3 minute walk). Her place was not small either. Her bedroom was a good size as was the kitchen. The living room was actually bigger than my parents' main living room in their 3600 square foot home. The bathroom was a full walk in bathroom that could probably fit 10 people in it with space. The place was a steal, but really in the area you could get a similar even nicer place for max of $800 if you had a roommate especially. There's been I think 1 or 2 homicides in this neighborhood (of 40,000 people) since 2007 and it's right on a major train line. If you go a few blocks away, there's Lincoln Square which is a chill area with a good number of good restaurants, bars, entertainment options, parks, etc but very relaxing. If you go a few stops south on the train (5-10 minute ride), you are in Lakeview which has TONS of stuff and tons of nightlife. If you go north of the Lakeview area to say Edgewater, you can routinely find one bedrooms for under or around $850/month and even near the lake. There are studios in these areas for under $600/month even.

For other areas of town, even south areas like Bridgeport...it's more hipster and what not, still on a train line, but you can find one bedrooms for probably under $600/month. I know of even places that might be under $400/month with roommates. I have friends in Logan Square paying under $500/month with roommates.

NONE of these areas are "ghetto" or even close to it. They're all safe or pretty safe areas with a bunch of young people with decent jobs. People who think you have to pay an arm and a leg to live in a good area of Chicago that has train access and what not have no idea what the **** they're talking about. The amount of affordable places here compared to its peer is quite amazing and goes up even more if you consider even having one roommate. Even my place in downtown Chicago, a 1 bedroom, my Manhattan friends tell me I'd be paying $4000/month for in Manhattan. I have a great view up around 300 feet overlooking the city as I'm part of it for just over $1300/month including a 24 hour door staff, private gym, etc.

A few examples from just Lakeview and a little around it?

1) Starts at $850/month for a 1 bedroom right on Halsted near 2 red line stations. The same place has studios starting at $700/month
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...=1&rank=1&fl=0

2) Under $900/month for a 1 bedroom starting right near the lake in Lakeview
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...=1&rank=2&fl=0

3) Right near the food on Argyle in Uptown for $845/month starting for a 1 bedroom
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...ments-4-679628

4) $700 for a studio right off of Broadway, Diversey, and Clark and near a Brown Line Station
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...=1&rank=2&fl=0

5) $705/month for Belmont/Halsted studio
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...=3&rank=7&fl=0

6) Lincoln Park starting at $785 for a studio right on the Park
http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...3&rank=11&fl=0

There are TONS more...I just listed mostly ones in Lakeview (one in LP and one in Uptown).
I could easily show you stuff like 1 bedrooms in Edgewater starting at $650/month like this one, studios starting at $525.
- http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...=1&rank=2&fl=0

$875 for a 1 bedroom in Ukrainian Village right near Wicker Park and a bunch of restaurants, nightlife, etc? http://www.padlister.com/listings/24...ainian-Village

Quote:
Chicago is not as bad as they say. It had over 500 murders in 2012, in a city of about 3 million people. Detroit had over 400 murders, it's only 700,000 people, WAY higher per capita in Detroit.
While 500 murders is a lot and also while Chicago isn't even top 10 for murder rate of US cities, the thing is that people don't understand most of the crime is centered in a few main areas that, if you have a good paying job, no offense to these areas...you would have almost no need (only a very select few in some neighborhoods) to even travel to. Most of the areas are ones where you'd have to go out of your way to get to. Some of them like South Shore (I have been a few times, and it's bad all around), Roseland, etc...you'd have to travel for a long time on the train before even getting there. I'm talking like 30-45 minutes from the Loop. A few of the other ones are closer, but same kind of deal. Some of these areas do have good food (and good architecture too) in them, and I'd caution anyone thinking that everything is just totally terrible in these neighborhoods, but realistically...if you're living in Lakeview, you don't have a need to travel to West Englewood.

The fact is this. 75% of the homicides since January of 2007 have occured in about 25% of the neighborhoods of the city. If you were to take these 25% neighborhoods and normalize them to the other 75% with a little variance, Chicago, NYC, and LA would all have very, very similar homicide rates. It's a telling sign. Most of the big time violence here is gang or drug related too. If you aren't in a gang or you aren't dealing in the drug trade, the chances of you getting hurt badly or randomly murdered goes DRASTICALLY down. Random stuff definitely does happen, but it's an exception with violent crime here, not the rule. I am not accepting this fact.I think it's still a bad thing obviously, but anybody who thinks they have to worry about living in Chicago when they're living in Lincoln Park is either extremely sheltered and/or doesn't know anything about this city.

Frankly, I feel just as safe here in many neighborhoods as I did when I lived in small cities of Iowa or Minnesota.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-03-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.