Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPix View Post
OMG those pix! Did you take them? What camera do you use?

What's to love about your pix more is the underrated SFV and San Gabriel mtns in your pix sometimes. LA posters take for granted better than every city besides NYC
Glad you like them. I did take all of those photos.

Camera is a Cannon PowerShot A530 from 2005. (Digital camera.)

Yes, I can see, from where I live, portions of the San Gabriel Mountains, along with the Santa Susana Mountains and the Simi Hills. Also the Santa Monica Mountains from a few spots in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 PM

132 posts, read 206,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
l don't know what USNWRs source is but if best educated is determined by educational attainment, SF is 3rd behind DC and SJ among major metro areas in either the US or Canada.

Major Metro Areas by Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 35%+
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 48.2%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara 46.4%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont 45.0%
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 42.9%
Raleigh-Cary 42.0%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 40.5%
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield 39.9%
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 39.5%
Ottawa-Gatineau 38.2%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 37.7%
New York-Northern NJ-Long Island 37.0%
Toronto 36.8%
Baltimore-Towson, MD 36.4%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 35.3%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 35.1%

US Data from American Factfinder, 2012
Canadian Data from StatCan 2012
Yeah the SF-Oakland-Fremont stats w/bachelors or above are divided into two groups (valuable vs. worthless). Valuable degrees: business, communication, engineering, law, medical, science, or technology. Worthless degrees: acting, art, dancing, education, graphic design, history, painting, philosophy, photography, sociology, etc. SF-Oakland-Fremont have a high percentage of people to have worthless degrees. Since, many of them work as baristas at multiple coffee shops.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
This is hard to say (although it's been a lot of fun to read, great posts!) What people need to realize is that New England is a completely different animal than say Tampa, and the same difference goes for comparing San Diego and San Francisco. Too many factors to say which one is better.

I will say the Northeast is very overrated. I grew up there and I could honestly care less about NYC. I worked there for 2.5 years and I will say the dumbest people I've ever met live, work, and thrive there.

Northeast has it's fair share of dumpy cities: Philadelphia, Baltimore, Hartford come to mind. I could never imagine living in any of these places -- nevermind having to be there for more than a few days. Boston is alright as is DC, but I wouldn't want to live in either place. I love Northern New England but could never live there either.

The Southeast I particularly enjoy: Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Savannah, Raleigh, etc. I find more similarities between the S.E. and say Los Angeles than I do LA and NYC.

Then you have the juggernaut -- CA with San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego which is leaps and bounds better than the crap stretch of I-95 between Virginia and Boston
The Atlantic NE is overrated?

"I know people, who smoke crack & they make more sense than you" - Ex. Convict, Austin Powers, Gold Member.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
Yeah the SF-Oakland-Fremont stats w/bachelors or above are divided into two groups (valuable vs. worthless). Valuable degrees: business, communication, engineering, law, medical, science, or technology. Worthless degrees: acting, art, dancing, education, graphic design, history, painting, philosophy, photography, sociology, etc. SF-Oakland-Fremont have a high percentage of people to have worthless degrees. Since, many of them work as baristas at multiple coffee shops.
Nonsense. An education is an education, whether it's being used in a person's current place of business or not. And I'd venture to bet that more of the second group have a well-rounded education than the first.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
The Atlantic NE is overrated?

"I know people, who smoke crack & they make more sense than you" - Ex. Convict, Austin Powers, Gold Member.
+2 Nice

Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Nonsense. An education is an education, whether it's being used in a person's current place of business or not. And I'd venture to bet that more of the second group have a well-rounded education than the first.
SUCH HEROIC NONSENSE TO YOU FOR YOUR INACCURACY!

Go figure, a superficial intellect to text here about the 2nd group of people to have those worthless LIBERAL ARTS degrees as far superior than the 1st group. Not just the 2nd group to be employed as baristas at coffee shops, but employed as teachers in those academic institutions to corrupt the students between textbooks vs. real life experiences on the job.

Here is this YouTube video link:

Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long! - YouTube

Yes it is 2 hrs. long to watch, but I hope you'll learn something about it.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+2 Nice
Many thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I was comparing Supertalls on the East Coast to Supertalls on the West Coast. Since Atlanta has a Supertall, Philly will have one under construction this summer, and NYC has multiple supertalls, there are not only more of them on the East Coast, but more cities with them as well. LA has one with one under construction and San Francisco has one under construction.

There are more on the East Coast. I will be able to walk down the street, see a Supertall in Philly, then take a train to NYC in 1 hr 30 mins, see more Supertalls, and then be back in my bed by 11:00 oclock that night if I wanted to.

You guys on the West Coast on this forum are so salty. It's really funny.
Philadelphia is a great city on its own, I have no idea why you Philly guys always bring up your proximity to NYC as a selling point, it speaks poorly of what Philly has to offer.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
SUCH HEROIC NONSENSE TO YOU FOR YOUR INACCURACY!

Go figure, a superficial intellect to text here about the 2nd group of people to have those worthless LIBERAL ARTS degrees as far superior than the 1st group. Not just the 2nd group to be employed as baristas at coffee shops, but employed as teachers in those academic institutions to corrupt the students between textbooks vs. real life experiences on the job.

Here is this YouTube video link:

Yes it is 2 hrs. long to watch, but I hope you'll learn something about it.
Lol. Yeah, that's an authority.

I hope you didn't bust a gut writing your response. So angry. I just don't get it.

Don't want to take any unfair digs, but I understand why you devalue a liberal arts degree. You obviously didn't get one of those, perhaps you belong to the first group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.