Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Crisp clear 27 here right now.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And to think I thought it was chilly here when I took out the trash a few moments ago.
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Weather Today
Yeah, you know weather is screwy when it's warmer in Denver than in Dallas (in the winter). Also, I believe it dipped below freezing in Mexico City.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
B/C w/o the rocky mountains, the west of the U.S. would be different, that's the point! They can simulate this in climatology maps. So whether there is a place like that on earth doesn't really matter or not, if the rocky mountains were wiped off the face of the continent, then the gulf air would push further west.

And they are *blocked* generally entirely.
I think you have it a bit backwards. A bit more gulf air would penetrate westward on occasion without the Rockies but weather rarely moves from east to west. As soon as you west of the Gulf of Mexico, annual precipitation drops quickly, well before the start of the Rockies. True it does get even drier in some places west of the Rockies, but there isn't much of gulf moisture to begin with. The gulf air moisture that does reach is responsible for the thunderstorms near the base of the Rockies, however.

What the Rockies do is induce a wave pattern in the atmosphere, encouraging weather to come more from the northwest in the winter than just west. This makes winters east of the rockies colder. There were a few threads on the weather forum about this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-than-w-2.html

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Yeah, you know weather is screwy when it's warmer in Denver than in Dallas (in the winter). Also, I believe it dipped below freezing in Mexico City.
All 50 states went below freezing somewhere today. Even Hawaii, which went below freezing on a mountain. Fountains were freezing in Florida.

Definitely not normal.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All 50 states went below freezing somewhere today. Even Hawaii, which went below freezing on a mountain. Fountains were freezing in Florida.

Definitely not normal.
Yep. I live in Florida and it's very cold today, it's strange because it's very bright and sunny but so cold, especially the wind. Fortunatley by Friday it's supposed to be back in the 70s and 80s.

It's due to a Polar Vortex, which on occasional winters it can break off from the North Pole and sind cold weather throughout the areas it flies over. It's happened before in the past, just not at this level usually.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you have it a bit backwards. A bit more gulf air would penetrate westward on occasion without the Rockies but weather rarely moves from east to west. As soon as you west of the Gulf of Mexico, annual precipitation drops quickly, well before the start of the Rockies. True it does get even drier in some places west of the Rockies, but there isn't much of gulf moisture to begin with. The gulf air moisture that does reach is responsible for the thunderstorms near the base of the Rockies, however.

What the Rockies do is induce a wave pattern in the atmosphere, encouraging weather to come more from the northwest in the winter than just west. This makes winters east of the rockies colder. There were a few threads on the weather forum about this:

But not all places East of the Rockies are colder than the West during the winter.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Definitely not normal.
That's normal for the highest elevations in Hawaii though. Mauna Kea and/or Mauna Loa always have snow on them in winter.

Last edited by sav858; 01-07-2014 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Interesting, but I'm not talking about weather throughout the year, only when the mT front from the gulf is in place. And my only statement was that the Rockies block it from going farther to the west and would collide with other air systems. In times of a tropical storm system, this would get pushed even farther. The tropical easterlies are from 0 to 30 latitude.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu...hurr/mvmt.rxml

Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Interesting, but I'm not talking about weather throughout the year, only when the mT front from the gulf is in place. And my only statement was that the Rockies block it from going farther to the west and would collide with other air systems. In times of a tropical storm system, this would get pushed even farther. The tropical easterlies are from 0 to 30 latitude.

Movement of Hurricanes: steered by the global winds

But even San Diego is at 32 degrees North.

What Nei said earlier, and what I tried to explain earlier still holds true (You seem to have it a bit backwards). Even if the Rocky Mountains and subsequent coast ranges were not in place, there would be little change to the weather on the West Coast.

There will be no giant hurriances, increased humditity, tornadoes. Nada, Zilch.

The only change would be in winter.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
But even San Diego is at 32 degrees North.

What Nei said earlier, and what I tried to explain earlier still holds true (You seem to have it a bit backwards). Even if the Rocky Mountains and subsequent coast ranges were not in place, there would be little change to the weather on the West Coast.

There will be no giant hurriances, increased humditity, tornadoes. Nada, Zilch.

The only change would be in winter.
You are talking about the west coast, I'm talking about anywhere west of the rockies. I haven't said the west coast a single time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.