Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The jet stream doesn't typically dip down into the tropics though. Don't most tropical storms in the US end up turning and heading west to east after they make landfall anyways?

The mountains do block big cold and warm humid air masses from invading the western US but even if they weren't there I don't think the climate would be like the east coast but resemble it somewhat more so. I just wonder how far west the Gulf could significantly influence weather as storms typically do move west to east.
As I said, there are easterly jets that form over the northern hemisphere in the summer. I never said the climate would be like the east coast, I just said there would be bouts of humidity there more often, particularly in summer, the air masses would clash and create thunderstorms and other violent weather phenomena, depending on timing of course. The Rockies are indeed a giant shield from weather.

And no, not always. Here is Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dolly for example, it caused flooding and brought moist air all the way to New Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileolly_2008_track.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
As I said, there are easterly jets that form over the northern hemisphere in the summer. I never said the climate wouldn't be like the east coast, I just said there would be bouts of humidity there more often, the air masses would clash and create thunderstorms and other violent weather phenomena, depending on timing of course. The Rockies are indeed a giant shield from weather.

And no, not always. Here is Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dolly for example, it caused flooding and brought moist air all the way to New Mexico.
Fileolly 2008 track.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well Gulf air already flows into the western US during summer during the North American Monsoon season. It can get humid in the southwest, I've seen 70 degree dewpoints in San Diego before but typically doesn't last too long nor do you get the high temperatures at the same time like you do on the east coast. In my 9 years there I remember one time it was 90 degrees but the heat index was 100 due to the humidity. That's why I question whether or not the Rockies really make that big of a difference.

Yeah I realize there will always be a few exceptions which is why I said "most" and if you look at tropical storm/hurricane paths "most" end up turning and heading back east.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

604 posts, read 1,522,133 times
Quote:
Yes, b/c we all know tropical weather patterns and hurricanes come from the west across the gulf. Take your argument up with NASA not me. A stronger tropical force like a hurricane can push all the way to New Mexico despite mountains/plateaus.

You are also wrong about the jet stream...there is more than one, there is not "the" jet stream, in the northern hemisphere in the summer there are easterly tropical jet streams as well as low level jet streams across the U.S.

This comes in the form of a maritime tropical air mass that basically goes WNW straight at Texas, but then curves around towards the plains and invades the air mass all the way up to Canada... this is b/c of Rocky Mountains. If not, at times, this air mass would keep pushing west depending on what else was there and where the mP from the northwest and cT from northern mexico were. Just as right now in winter, there is a cP air mass all the way to FL b/c nothing is in the way. So yes, undoubtedly the Western U.S. would be more humid at times if there were not a gigantic mountain range in the way.
I'm talking about the mid lattitudes. The Jet stream over the lower 48 runs from west to east.

FYI, no hurricane is going to make landfall north of the extreme southern edge of California. The Pacific Ocean is fairly cold.

Like I said before, your whole point is moot, because the Pacific Ocean keeps the west coast generally cool in summer. Having the Rockies not exist, would have little impact on Summer humdity along the west coast.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Well Gulf air already flows into the western US during summer during the North American Monsoon season. It can get humid in the southwest, I've seen 70 degree dewpoints in San Diego before but typically doesn't last too long nor do you get the high temperatures at the same time like you do on the east coast. In my 9 years there I remember one time it was 90 degrees but the heat index was 100 due to the humidity. That's why I question whether or not the Rockies really make that big of a difference.

Yeah I realize there will always be a few exceptions which is why I said "most" and if you look at tropical storm/hurricane paths "most" end up turning and heading back east.
The Rocky Mountains have a substantial impact on weather and even affects weather all the way in Europe.
North America's Rocky Mountains affect Norway’s climate

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The Rocky Mountains have a substantial impact on weather and even affects weather all the way in Europe.
Okay, that whole article talks about air masses moving from west to east and how it affects locations east of it. I'm sure interior parts of the western US would be much more affected if the Rockies weren't there. But along the immediate West Coast (Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, SD, etc..) the Pacific Ocean is going to be the biggest climate influence imo. Not sure how far the cooler Pacific air would extend inland though if it was flat, probably not that far.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM

604 posts, read 1,522,133 times
Quote:
Of course they do, but it has little bearing on summer weather along the immediate coast line. Temps along the western shelf of North America would pretty much be the same during summer.

Like I stated earlier, the main difference would be winter time temperatures. Cold Artic air masses would have a much easier time dropping down.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Of course they do, but it has little bearing on summer weather along the immediate coast line. Temps along the western shelf of North America would pretty much be the same during summer.

Like I stated earlier, the main difference would be winter time temperatures. Cold Artic air masses would have a much easier time dropping down.
I saw this right after I read this post lol:

Why doesn't it get cold in San Diego? | UTSanDiego.com

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

I think we need to segue back to the original point.

"I concur with Bert Sperling who was the first person to put out those comprehensive Best Places rankings back in the 80s and 90s when he said: "Thanks to the barrier of the Rocky Mountains, the West is almost immune to the stifling humidity of the Midwest and Eastern United States"

It's like a totally different world once we pass the Rocky Mountains."

I'm referring to *EVERYTHING* west of the rockies, not just the immediate coast.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

215 posts, read 379,302 times
SF and LA are amazing, but the EC is more populated for a reason!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
The jet stream doesn't typically dip down into the tropics though. Don't most tropical storms in the US end up turning and heading west to east after they make landfall anyways?

The mountains do block big cold and warm humid air masses from invading the western US but even if they weren't there I don't think the climate would be like the east coast but resemble it somewhat more so. I just wonder how far west the Gulf could significantly influence weather as storms typically do move west to east.
Not always, sometimes they keep going west, north, or slightly northeast and just die. Irene made it all the way to Vermont in 2011, severely flooding areas of the state. Basically, they just follow the coast because they thrive off the air, and the East Coast kind of has a curve to it. The more inland a hurricane heads, the more it weakens.

Irene - severe flooding in Vermont, follows the general curve of the coast through Canada

Sandy - created big waves in the Great Lakes and 3 feet of snow in West Virginia, stopped over what looks like Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.