Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So is NASA wrong? B/C they argue otherwise.
I'm too lazy to bother to go to Nasa's website, so please enlighten me where they say tropical storms and hurricanes head back eastward because of the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Russia had settlements in California and Hawaii. Russians were in in the Yay Area in the 1700s before the Constitutions.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm too lazy to bother to go to Nasa's website, so please enlighten me where they say tropical storms and hurricanes head back eastward because of the Rockies.
No, the mT air masses that would carry humidity are pushed back b/c of the rockies.

The Gulf of Mexico supplies most of the moisture which fuels the weather systems of spring. In May, low level winds have turned to the south across much of the Gulf coast and Great Plains. Warm humid air floods northward to mark the beginning of summer. Thunderstorms often erupt across the States as weather disturbances and frontal systems collide with the humid air. The westward flow of Gulf air is blocked by the Rocky Mountain chain, and is re-directed into Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and eastward to envelop the lower Great Lakes. The Appalachians block the flow to some extent, but the Atlantic Ocean, another moisture source, is ready to fill in when winds turn easterly.

The western edge of this giant atmospheric river lies very nearly along the eclipse track. Upper level westerlies carry high altitude disturbances over the humid air where they trigger the giant thunderstorms which characterize springtime American weather. Afterwards the westerlies push the humidity and cloud eastward for a short time, returning dry and sunny skies to the Plains for a few days. Inexorably, southerly flow begins again and the Gulf moisture returns to fuel yet another disturbance.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Russia had settlements in California and Hawaii. Russians were in in the Yay Area in the 1700s before the Constitutions.
And your point would be.......?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
No, the mT air masses that would carry humidity are pushed back b/c of the rockies.

The Gulf of Mexico supplies most of the moisture which fuels the weather systems of spring. In May, low level winds have turned to the south across much of the Gulf coast and Great Plains. Warm humid air floods northward to mark the beginning of summer. Thunderstorms often erupt across the States as weather disturbances and frontal systems collide with the humid air. The westward flow of Gulf air is blocked by the Rocky Mountain chain, and is re-directed into Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and eastward to envelop the lower Great Lakes. The Appalachians block the flow to some extent, but the Atlantic Ocean, another moisture source, is ready to fill in when winds turn easterly.

The western edge of this giant atmospheric river lies very nearly along the eclipse track. Upper level westerlies carry high altitude disturbances over the humid air where they trigger the giant thunderstorms which characterize springtime American weather. Afterwards the westerlies push the humidity and cloud eastward for a short time, returning dry and sunny skies to the Plains for a few days. Inexorably, southerly flow begins again and the Gulf moisture returns to fuel yet another disturbance.
So basically they're pushed back eastward by "air masses" like I already said?

Also I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world that has a cool water current running along its coast and is also hot and humid, except for possibly tropical places. So I'm not sure why you would expect the west coast to be any different.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
So basically they're pushed back eastward by "air masses" like I already said?

Also I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world that has a cool water current running along its coast and is also hot and humid, except for possibly tropical places. So I'm not sure why you would expect the west coast to be any different.
B/C w/o the rocky mountains, the west of the U.S. would be different, that's the point! They can simulate this in climatology maps. So whether there is a place like that on earth doesn't really matter or not, if the rocky mountains were wiped off the face of the continent, then the gulf air would push further west.

And they are *blocked* generally entirely.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
B/C w/o the rocky mountains, the west of the U.S. would be different, that's the point! They can simulate this in climatology maps. So whether there is a place like that on earth doesn't really matter or not, if the rocky mountains were wiped off the face of the continent, then the gulf air would push further west.

And they are *blocked* generally entirely.
I've already agreed that interior parts of the west would be different as more gulf air would reach it. My last post was talking about the west COAST, as in the coastal zone. As I stated already I don't think gulf air would have much of an impact in the area of the western US.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I've already agreed that interior parts of the west would be different as more gulf air would reach it. My last post was talking about the west COAST, as in the coastal zone. As I stated already I don't think gulf air would have much of an impact in the area of the western US.
OK we agree then.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
grap is right and wrong. The gulf air intrusion is not consistent. Even as far south as Dallas humidity levels are up and down depending on prevailing wind; from west, south or north. If you drive a few hours west of Ft Worth (no mountains) its rarely humid. Its as dry as Nevada. Chicago and the upper mid west is not humid because of gulf air, that wouldnt make sense that Dallas or Oklahoma are much drier than the upper midwest, there are more factors than that. The dry west air pushes eastward more often than the gulf air pushes north.
The west coast, not just the coastal zone would be dry anyway, the sierra nevada range is another barrier.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
And to think I thought it was chilly here when I took out the trash a few moments ago.
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Weather Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.