Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not always, sometimes they keep going west, north, or slightly northeast and just die. Irene made it all the way to Vermont in 2011, severely flooding areas of the state. Basically, they just follow the coast because they thrive off the air, and the East Coast kind of has a curve to it. The more inland a hurricane heads, the more it weakens.

Irene - severe flooding in Vermont, follows the general curve of the coast through Canada

Sandy - created big waves in the Great Lakes and 3 feet of snow in West Virginia, stopped over what looks like Ohio
Yes I know there are exceptions, which is why I said "most". And MOST, not "all", tropical storms/hurricanes follow that same general path/curvature as in your first pic, even one's that come ashore along the central gulf coast and come up through the midwest. I think the jet stream pushes them back eastward "most" times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
SF and LA are amazing, but the EC is more populated for a reason!
Yeah, European settlement patterns lol.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes I know there are exceptions, which is why I said "most". And MOST, not "all", tropical storms/hurricanes follow that same general path/curvature as in your first pic, even one's that come ashore along the central gulf coast and come up through the midwest. I think the jet stream pushes them back eastward "most" times.
That's only if they get in the jet stream, on the summer there is am mT easterly jet stream pointed straight at Texas east coast the Rockies and the cT in mexico and the desert southwest that stops this not the jet stream.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 PM

215 posts, read 379,302 times
Quote:
Yeah, European settlement patterns lol.
What was stopping Europeans from settling out west? Europeans had a choice where to live when coming to this country and they chose the EC (mainly bos-wash). Keep in mind this was back when there were not AC or heaters! So, this means immigrants chose to freeze in DC, Boston, NY, Philly WITHOUT heaters! I hear about this amazing climate in California in this thread, but it was not enough to propel the WC to have a higher population than the EC! They would rather live on cold weather without access to a heater lol. The population of both coasts shows where people prefer to live! This fact is accurate for when this country was founded until present day! WC is a bore outside of SF and LA!

Last edited by The Lunatic & A Therapist; 01-06-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's only if they get in the jet stream, on the summer there is am mT easterly jet stream pointed straight at Texas east coast the Rockies and the cT in mexico and the desert southwest that stops this not the jet stream.
It's air masses and that jet stream the push tropical systems backs east, not the Rockies.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
What was stopping Europeans from settling out west? Europeans had a choice where to live when coming to this country and they chose the EC (mainly bos-wash). Keep in mind this was back when there were not AC or heaters! I hear about this amazing climate in California in this thread, but it was not enough to propel the WC to have a higher population than the EC! This fact is accurate for when this country was founded until the present time! The population of both coasts shows where people prefer to live! WC is a bore outside of SF and LA!
About 3,000 miles of open, inhospitable continent to cross. That or having sail around the tip of South America. Did you think getting to the west coast from Europe was easy back then? Did you take any American History classes growing up?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
About 3,000 miles of open, inhospitable continent to cross. That or having sail around the tip of South America. Did you think getting to the west coast from Europe was easy back then? Did you take any American History classes growing up?
I'm not going to continue to go back and forth with you, your opinion is meaningless to me. You can give excuse, after excuse, after excuse as to why the EC is more populated than the WC. Bottom line is that people choose to live where they want to with their feet! Bye!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM

The way I see this is that 6 out of the best cities in this country are on the WC or EC. The WC has 2 amazing cities and the EC has 4 amazing cities. I see this as SF/LA vs DC/Philly/NYC/Boston.

So, just wanted to let everyone know I love LA and SF. I am not taking shots at them. I just find the WC lacking out of those 2 cities.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
What was stopping Europeans from settling out west? Europeans had a choice where to live when coming to this country and they chose the EC (mainly bos-wash). Keep in mind this was back when there were not AC or heaters! So, this means immigrants chose to freeze in DC, Boston, NY, Philly WITHOUT heaters! I hear about this amazing climate in California in this thread, but it was not enough to propel the WC to have a higher population than the EC! They would rather live on cold weather without access to a heater lol. The population of both coasts shows where people prefer to live! This fact is accurate for when this country was founded until present day! WC is a bore outside of SF and LA!

Do you know American history, settlement, and migration!!??

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
It's air masses and that jet stream the push tropical systems backs east, not the Rockies.
So is NASA wrong? B/C they argue otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.