Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You are talking about the west coast, I'm talking about anywhere west of the rockies. I haven't said the west coast a single time.
Despite the post to which you initially responded (mine) specified "west coast", in a thread entitled "East Coast v West Coast". You're arguing for the sake of argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you have it a bit backwards. A bit more gulf air would penetrate westward on occasion without the Rockies but weather rarely moves from east to west. As soon as you west of the Gulf of Mexico, annual precipitation drops quickly, well before the start of the Rockies. True it does get even drier in some places west of the Rockies, but there isn't much of gulf moisture to begin with. The gulf air moisture that does reach is responsible for the thunderstorms near the base of the Rockies, however.

What the Rockies do is induce a wave pattern in the atmosphere, encouraging weather to come more from the northwest in the winter than just west. This makes winters east of the rockies colder. There were a few threads on the weather forum about this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-than-w-2.html

Thats a good example. The 100th meridian is roughly the divide between east and west. What they are arguing about is nonsense anyway. The rocky mountains do exist and the occurrances are the rare tropical storms.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats a good example. The 100th meridian is roughly the divide between east and west. What they are arguing about is nonsense anyway. The rocky mountains do exist and the occurrances are the rare tropical storms.
Hah, not nonsense. More of a "what would america look like if" ... I have seen plenty of nonsense thread like, what would happen if X city would disappear...same scenario.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's normal for the highest elevations in Hawaii though. Mauna Kea and/or Mauna Loa always have snow on them in winter.
I figured so, but still interesting that all 50 states had temps below freezing on the same day. I bet that's rare.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hah, not nonsense. More of a "what would america look like if" ... I have seen plenty of nonsense thread like, what would happen if X city would disappear...same scenario.

Its a fantasy scenario just as the examples you mentioned were/are. The other point though is that high humidity from the gulf would be a rare occurrance north or west even without the rockies.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I figured so, but still interesting that all 50 states had temps below freezing on the same day. I bet that's rare.
I think it was last year or the year before when Florida got snow. Every state would have had snow but for some odd reason Hawaii didn't have any at the top of Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa when they usually do LOL.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Sure this hasn't been done before..

Just curious because I see people that have very strong opinions about coasts. Criteria is social ambiance, natural beauty and amenities. What is your preference?

What an ignorant question. An apple to an orange.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
What an ignorant question. An apple to an orange.
What ... so people can't prefer oranges to apples, or apples to oranges? Nothing "ignorant" about having a preference.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Is anyone really that surprised by the poll results?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
East coast. I like the greenery and seasonal diversity. And the East coast has more states and far more interesting history. Jobs pay higher in most areas, too. And the people are more "real." The east coast also has more intellectualism than the west coast, which seems more focused on superficial things in life. The west coast is still a beautiful place though, but I found that people are on a different wavelength. More drugs, too. The east coast also has a 430-mile megalopolis (Boston to Washington). The west coast has nothing similar to that. The capital of the U.S. is on the east coast. The east coast is much more lit up at night than the west coast. And there's more cultural diversity and variance from metro area to metro area. It also has the largest city in the nation (NYC). And the metro areas are far better connected than those on the west coast, which tend to be very isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.