Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
The tobacco and slave industry was also a big part of Maryland's economy
That's historically true along with Delaware to some extent, but today it's definitely safer to group Maryland with Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey based off similarities. I'm sure Maryland has some southern aspects in the rural areas, but overall I wouldn't consider it to be southern anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's historically true along with Delaware to some extent, but today it's definitely safer to group Maryland with Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey based off similarities. I'm sure Maryland has some southern aspects in the rural areas, but overall I wouldn't consider it to be southern anymore.
Agreed.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Been in NJ for over 45 years, and I never considered it Mid Atlantic. Always a northeastern state.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Regardless of where the Mid-Atlantic ends, if you're coming up from the south, I'd say NOVA is the starting point and I'm sure plenty of others would agree.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
That's actually quite accurate. Going north on I-95, I'd say you're officially out of the south and into the Mid-Atlantic when you pass Fredericksburg, VA. Apart from NOVA, I'd say Virginia is still southern overall in the Upper South way similar to North Carolina, Tennessee, and some areas of Arkansas and Kentucky. Personally, I consider Richmond to be a southern city, partly due to the fact that it was the capital of the Confederacy even if that was 150 odd years ago and the tobacco industry is pretty big around there. Columbia, SC, Raleigh, NC, and Richmond, VA are three fall line southern capitals.
Richmond has nothing in common with those cities. It's really more like Philly than it is Raleigh or Columbia.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Richmond has nothing in common with those cities. It's really more like Philly than it is Raleigh or Columbia.
Richmond does look like more like a northern city (DC, Baltimore, Philly) in terms of the architecture, but IMO it's a southern city at heart. Historically, I'd say it has more in common with Raleigh and Columbia. What would you say? Do you consider Richmond to be a southern city?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Richmond does look like more like a northern city (DC, Baltimore, Philly) in terms of the architecture, but IMO it's a southern city at heart. Historically, I'd say it has more in common with Raleigh and Columbia. What would you say? Do you consider Richmond to be a southern city?
BajanYankee knows that Richmond is a southern city. Remember that this is a guy who once questioned whether or not Baltimore is a northern city. So I'm sure he definitely considers Richmond part of the South.

I do agree that Richmond's architecture is more similar to Northern cities but is culturally southern.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Do you consider Richmond to be a southern city?
It's pretty solidly Mid-Atlantic. Perhaps even part of the "Lower Northeast."

Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
BajanYankee knows that Richmond is a southern city. Remember that this is a guy who once questioned whether or not Baltimore is a northern city. So I'm sure he definitely considers Richmond part of the South.

I do agree that Richmond's architecture is more similar to Northern cities but is culturally southern.
Yeah, Baltimore is DEFINITELY not a southern city, same with DC. Those two are about as Mid-Atlantic as you can get. Maybe it's the fact that Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy or the tobacco industry, but I've always seen Richmond as a culturally southern city. Driving down Monument Avenue and seeing those huge monuments of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and JEB Stuart, it's hard for me to call Richmond anything but southern. Also, a lot of the architecture is actually pretty similar to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA to be honest.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Richmond is definitely a southern city... for various reasons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.