Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

And yet its still hot here in south Florida! Ok so I had a couple "cool" days where its 75 in the day instead of 85! Big deal im hot! I want some 50 degree weather outside(which would correspond to 70 inside) now thats nice and cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thanks for all the info about BC. I was going to mention that it seemed like she said something about "Vancouver", but thought I was wrong since Vancouver is in Washington. Guess there's more then one of them.
She did say it's very beautiful there. But I understand why you'd rather spend your money and go south. Don't you live in the area above NY? Bet it gets a bit chilly in your area.
Is Vanvouver, WA more famous than Vancouver, B.C.?

I looked in the AAA tourbook and it said Vancouver WA is a part of the Portland area and with a population of 46,500. I hear it's known for being the oldest town in WA state and for mining.

Vancouver B.C. has a population of 546,000 in the city limits and a surrounding pop. of at least 2 million. I believe it's the second largest city in our country. It was skyscrapers and it's own "space-needle-like" tower. (don't know it's actual name) and is nestled into a mountain range on the east and the Pacific (well actually the "Strait of Georgia"; at least it's salt water) on the west. They even have an old NHL hockey team called the Vancouver Canucks. They also have one of the largest "China-towns" in North America.

Yes, I live north of western NY state so it's pretty cold. Actually this year isn't really colder than normal. I suppose the Great Lakes have been really helping buffer the sudden cold snaps. We haven't even been below 26 F. There are a few trees (like one in 20) that still have leaves on them and some of them still have some green left in them.

I suppose a difference here is that in fall we are usually very overcast and the day and nighttime temps don't change much as a result. Like if it's 35 F in the morning it probably won't make it passed 45 F in the afternoon. We've had only a handfull of days over the passed few weeks above 50 F.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-10-2006 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 AM

66 posts, read 316,228 times
We've been in the midwest for a few years now and are used to the cold but this year there were days you needed a winter coat in Sept/Oct. It seems harder to take this time around though we have had some 60+ days in between which have been great. The other day we had light snow, the thing is it's been 2 days and its just starting to melt - icy patches before Thanksgiving is too soon for us.
We were already planning to move for economic reasons and are thinking we might as well head for a warmer place at the same time. Perfect for me would be 50-80's most of the year. I don't mind the 20's and under so much..its the 6-7 months of it that are getting old. Never lived in extreme hot so I'm not sure about that. It does seem crime tends to be higher in the warmer states so that's something to think about too.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM

153 posts, read 711,152 times
I don't think you can claim you've been in a cold climate until you've been to Minnesota, the Dakotas, or Wisconsin in Jan and Feb.

It gets COLD (-10, -20... i've personally seen -46) here. But the question is how do we tolerate it...? Well, most people up here were born and raised in the region so we're prepared for the cold, and we're used to to the cold. Like anything else you dress for the weather. I've sat outside for hours watching snowmobile races, or out hunting in -5 to -10 degree weather. It doesn't bother me much In fact the cold can be very clensing. Plus most people I know, would MUCH rather be cold than hot.

As they say in Minnesota - it's not really cold until the mucus in your nose instantly freezes when you inhale through it. Quite the experience. Many cars up here have engine block heaters, so when you get home you plug your car into your house to keep the engine warm.

Anyway, I really enjoy the weather up here. The best thing about the midwest that I believe keeps alot of people here is the beauty. It's gorgeous in the Great Lakes region of the country and I don't think alot of NE'ers or Southerners realize it. The lakes, the forests, the wildlife, the rivers... The summers and the fall are perfect around here. Wonderful temperatures, and plenty of things to do.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Come visit sometime You'll enjoy flyover country. Less people, more to do, and lots of natural beauty.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
I don't think you can claim you've been in a cold climate until you've been to Minnesota, the Dakotas, or Wisconsin in Jan and Feb.

It gets COLD (-10, -20... i've personally seen -46) here. But the question is how do we tolerate it...? Well, most people up here were born and raised in the region so we're prepared for the cold, and we're used to to the cold. Like anything else you dress for the weather. I've sat outside for hours watching snowmobile races, or out hunting in -5 to -10 degree weather. It doesn't bother me much In fact the cold can be very clensing. Plus most people I know, would MUCH rather be cold than hot.

As they say in Minnesota - it's not really cold until the mucus in your nose instantly freezes when you inhale through it. Quite the experience. Many cars up here have engine block heaters, so when you get home you plug your car into your house to keep the engine warm.

Anyway, I really enjoy the weather up here. The best thing about the midwest that I believe keeps alot of people here is the beauty. It's gorgeous in the Great Lakes region of the country and I don't think alot of NE'ers or Southerners realize it. The lakes, the forests, the wildlife, the rivers... The summers and the fall are perfect around here. Wonderful temperatures, and plenty of things to do.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Come visit sometime You'll enjoy flyover country. Less people, more to do, and lots of natural beauty.
What a wonderful post! You've just summed up what I love about living in the Great Lakes region.

Thank you for that.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
i HATE the cold

hate it, hate it, hate it!

and i get cold in tampa during the winter! moving is going to kill me...

Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM

242 posts, read 853,902 times
I didn't read all 11 pages of this thread, but I don't recall seeing many Minnesota posters, though I could have missed them.

I live for the cold and hate the heat. I ask myself on a daily basis why in my sane mind would I give up my freezing cold winters to move to Utah. According to my computer it is 81 degrees outside, not half bad but it is supposed to get into the 90s today and tomorrow! I know, I know, don't whine, its not humid like it is in Minnesota, but 90 degrees and 100 degrees is hot no matter how you cut it. I look longingly at whatever snow is left on the mountains and try to remind myself that it will cool down....around October.

I have seen and lived in the 100 degree temperature drop, that is part of the charms of the Icebox of the Nation, though the wind that rips through the flat plains of North Dakota is nothing like I've ever experienced before. That was real cold!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Default It's not cold!

Here in Wyoming, we don't have thermometers. We get up in the morning and put the dog out. We wait about 3 minutes and if you have to bust him loose from the tree, you know to put another layer on.

As was mentioned, I love the cold. It cleanes you. You can always add layers, but in the summer, there's just so much you can take off before you get arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.