Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Some of you tolerate cold fine or even like it. Others really hate it. I am assuming most people who live up north dont mind the cold, if they do, why dont they move down south? I am ready for some cooler weather and I feel that I can handle the 20 degree winters of SE Ohio. Not that I have a choice since Florida isnt affordable unless I look at mobile homes.
I've lived in NJ my whole life, and I still don't consider myself used to the cold. I don't like it, I dread the onset of winter, and winter feels about 2 years long to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 11:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hi NeedAffordable, you already know what my vote is~I HATE the cold and snow. I dread it more and more every year.

You keep mentioning the possibility of staying in Fla. and buying a mobile home. That sounds like a great idea! Why do you feel detoured in doing that? I know you're also thinking of moving north, but isn't your family in Fla? Mobile homes receive a bum wrap!! If we relocate to Fla., we will either rent an apartment or buy a mobile home. Sorry, we just don't have a half million dollars to buy a house and we no longer want to go back to having a mortgage. As far as mobiles losing their value, it sure doesn't appear that way. I've looked at some on realtor.com and the used ones are nearly as expensive as new ones. Something that struck me as funny when I was looking on that site~they have mobiles that are actually quite old. They've withstood how many canes now? We went through a park when we were down there the last time. It was so cute with their palm trees and their community pool and well-kept mobiles. Of course, there are more then likely parks down there that give mobile home parks their terrible rep. It just seems more feasible for us to rent or buy a mobile. They're very affordable and we'll just keep our other few dollars in our pocket for old age.

Well since ill be self employeed with a home business, I can live anywhere I want. Florida may have mild winters but their summers are hot and the hurricanes suck! Youve never been in one or youll understand!
Also I can get a bigger, nicer house in Ohio or WV for the same price as a lot + mobile home in central or north Florida. Forget rent, its like throwing money away. Yes Florida is a better location but I can get so much more in OH or WV for the same money!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:54 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I moved to Hawaii from the S. Oregon Mts. 7 years ago, no regrets. Maybe miss the fall colors, but I sure don't regret the cold, the dead woodstove in the mornings, snow, fog, frozen, broken water pipes, chillblaines, colds, cracked, bloody, painful fingers and chapped lips, dirty air, S.A.D. all winter. Biggest seasonal change around here is adding a thin blanket over a single sheet about now.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Jammie - I would SERIOUSLY advise against buying a mobile in FL!!!
Did you not get coverage of Hurricane Charley there???!!!
I assume not, because I don't think you'd even REMOTELY consider a mobile if you did!!!
Try to research it & find the pictures...THAT was sad. And scary.
The only place I see as feasable to own a mobile is the desert. No tornados, hurricanes or monster snow/ice storms. Those are ALL a big no no for mobiles!!!

Oh - to the Californians that keep saying it's hot/warm there, I say BS!!!!!!!! I was there sometime in the mid to late 90's in JUNE and it was in the 40's!!!! That is NOT warm by ANYONE'S standards!!! (well, maybe people from Barrow, UP MI, or N. MN )
And I was told be the natives that that is NORMAL!!! 40's in SOFL is pretty rare - used to be EXTREMELY rare. Might be the MOST 3 nights. NIGHTS! Not EVENING, NIGHT! (Like after midnight!!!)
So uh, no, SOCA is NOT as hot as SOFL!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 PM

2,224 posts, read 772,298 times
It is not BS - as a native Californian myself, I can tell you it is very RARE to get into the 40's! Unless you're talking about overnight, which yes, rarely, but occasionally, it's in the 40's at night (in the middle of the night, like Florida). To most people, 80-90 degree averages IS hot. We're just slightly more fortunate not to have the dreaded humidity So yes, I agree with Elfyum...not as hot as Florida, but still hot!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 AM

19 posts, read 98,609 times
Here in the mpls/st. paul area it seems to helps if you stay very busy. I do notice the very long winter more during "downtime".

Old 11-01-2006, 02:17 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I don't mind the cold. You can always put on more clothes. Doesn't work the opposite way in the heat. I like winter sports. I like snow. Besides, it is not like it lasts all year unless you move to the Arctic Circle.

Quite frankly, I refuse to consider the entire Southern US on a whole because of the lack of a snowy winter and ridiculously hot summers. I just can't see really being happy in a hot, seasonless place.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
About always being able to dress warmer, that may be true for most people, but for me, once it gets to a certain point, say 0 F, I can't put on enough clothes to stay comfortable. It's an impossibility due to a nerve disorder.

But on days with a heat index of 110 F, all I need is an unlimited access to cold drinks to be able to physically do anything I want, including very heavy excersize like sprinting or heavy lifting.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-01-2006 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
I am fine with a little cold as long as it stays above 0f like it does in OH and WV. Theres many other states that have mild or no winters but the house costs are way too high. Most people prefer warm weather, even I do and would stay in Florida if I could find a nice house for $100k(im dreaming I know)

Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am fine with a little cold as long as it stays above 0f like it does in OH and WV. Theres many other states that have mild or no winters but the house costs are way too high. Most people prefer warm weather, even I do and would stay in Florida if I could find a nice house for $100k(im dreaming I know)
Acutally, if you want to live in a place where you don't normally get mornings below 0 F you need to stay in an area with USDA Zone 7a or higher. Most parts of OH and WV are between Zone 6a and 5a which means their annual average coldest temp is between -5 F and -19 F.

But if you've been there before, I suppose you don't need to know this. Where I live we normally get a handfull of daytime highs below 0 F and this is probably unusual in the milder parts of OH or WV.

For me any whole days below freezing are very hard to deal with, but I'd probably be willing to put up with them if they were extremely rare. Especially if I could take any day that cold off from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.