Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:28 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times

Advertisements

San Francisco was where I lived for ten years. The biggest storms I've ever experienced were in San Francisco. The December 1995 storm was gargantuan and over 2000 trees blew down in Golden Gate Park. That was the storm that smashed the Cliff House, blew the steeples off of churches, shattered highrise windows, blew over the Christmas tree at the Bank of America building, and smashed the Conservatory in GG Park. That storm just left me awestruck and speechless. I was one of the few who braved it to go to work that day. In January of 96 we got a repeat. Cold winter days in SF are in the forties, but damp. And although that's not considered freezing by most, in San Francisco, it's a lot like Norfolk, VA. and other damp wet places...your teeth get to chattering and you get the shivers and nothing you do will get you warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,238 times
I don't deal with cold and snow very well. When I was younger it did not bother me so much. Now I find I can't stand extreme weather either hot or cold. That's why I ended up here on the coast of Oregon. We do get a lot of rain,but not snow. The tempertures are not too extreme.

We do go on vacations just to see somewhere different from time to time. If I feel the need for more sun I can go south or southwest for a while. Usually I'm glad to get back home again. Last May we went to AZ and it was already in the 90 degree range. We were glad to get back home to 60 degree weather.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:37 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I don't deal with cold and snow very well. When I was younger it did not bother me so much. Now I find I can't stand extreme weather either hot or cold. That's why I ended up here on the coast of Oregon. We do get a lot of rain,but not snow. The tempertures are not too extreme.

We do go on vacations just to see somewhere different from time to time. If I feel the need for more sun I can go south or southwest for a while. Usually I'm glad to get back home again. Last May we went to AZ and it was already in the 90 degree range. We were glad to get back home to 60 degree weather.
Thats funny, I left oregon after 32 years of rain and cold. 32 degrees and raining made no sense!! See after so long in a place, you almost ache for something else.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Cold winter days in SF are in the forties, but damp. And although that's not considered freezing by most, in San Francisco, it's a lot like Norfolk, VA. and other damp wet places...your teeth get to chattering and you get the shivers and nothing you do will get you warm.
You just discribed Ohio. Days in the 40s may not sound freezing, but the dampness in the air from the cold, wet ground, and the gray skies...your teeth get to chattering....and this weather often happens in autumn, winter, spring and I've even had to run my heater in June. Two layers of socks, sweat pants and sweatshirts can't even warm you up.
I know a lot of people on here have said they like cooler temps. What I couldn't take about winter were the constant gray skies, the constant chill and the boredom. I hated being stuck inside for so many months.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
. I actually had thought of a deal where I might spend the winters in Italy or Greece and the rest of the time in USA. Might have to settle for the more conventional Ohio / Florida deal. You can even go up to MI or where ever if you have a sunny place to run to in winter.
Winters in Greece or Italy are not balmy. They are not subtropical climates; they are Mediterranean.
You'd get the same type of weather in northwest Florida.
South Florida winters would be warmer.
I agree with you about how you sort of like winter, but not too much. That's how I feel, and that's why I've done okay with northwest Florida.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default I know

I know exactly what the Med is like in winter. I have spent a good amount of time there. I like the food, atmosphere, people.

The summers in the Med can be too hot for me. Especially liked Italy. Maybe south of Naples for the winter. Nice days, nights on the cool side, drive like crazy and beep the horn a lot.

All them crazy tourists gone home. Pray them volcanoes stay sleeping.

I guess it is not going to happen. Do like that chow and way of living tho.

I hear Italy is over run with illegals but what place ain't these days.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I know exactly what the Med is like in winter. I have spent a good amount of time there. I like the food, atmosphere, people.

The summers in the Med can be too hot for me. Especially liked Italy. Maybe south of Naples for the winter. Nice days, nights on the cool side, drive like crazy and beep the horn a lot.

All them crazy tourists gone home. Pray them volcanoes stay sleeping.

I guess it is not going to happen. Do like that chow and way of living tho.

I hear Italy is over run with illegals but what place ain't these days.
italy is filled with illegal what? French? Spanish, Greek? Swiss? tourist from america that wouldnt leave!!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I agree with MoMark. Cold weather is tolerable for me, when it's expected. It's been 10 degrees cooler than average for the past week or so and it's just not sitting well with me. I expect weather like this in Winter and that's fine, but when I don't take too kindly to it when it's mid-October and it's frigid.

I used to think that I would love for it to be 75 and sunny every day but found myself surprised when I lived in Los Angeles by just how much I missed the occasional cold, rainy or dreary day. I think I'm a four seasons kind of person, partially because it suits my personality in that I tend to get bored of the same things quickly. I love the hot and humid summer but towards August, wearing a sweater and drinking hot chocolate seems nice. Winter is great at Christmastime, but by February or so, I'd give anything to not have to scrape ice off my car in the mornings.

So I guess I can tolerate winters, but when wintry weather lasts beyond the standard three months (at least the most frigid of the wintry weather), I get irritable, and I don't think I could ever live in a place that stays cold for six or seven months out of the year. It gets old. The runny nose, the chapped lips, the ugly brown slush, the dirty cars, the coats, the hats, etc.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default All of the above and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
italy is filled with illegal what? French? Spanish, Greek? Swiss? tourist from america that wouldnt leave!!
Naw, come on stay up with the World news.

Italy always had a problem with the Yugoslavia types. In the old dazes they came as tourists but would sort of go home. Remember Yugo or the parts of it is just across that little pond between them. Came in droves with the break up, lots of smuggling too.

Like most parts of Europe over run by Russians, former East Bloc types on the make, God knows from where else. Italy did become a sort of gateway to getting into the USA or Israel. Go there, suck up the sunshine, learn to speak English. Much easier to get a tourist visa to where ever. Hey, they want to get rid of them.

Plus if you don't like cold, nice even can go swimming in winter, least for the Russians.

Yup, go to Florida. No illegals there. Just Cubans and all the rest of South America and every Island on the way up. O'Well, least might not be cold.

If it is warm in winter, look for more than just natives flocking to the area. Probably World wide, you got to be an idiot to want to go to the North Pole if you are on the lam without good papers.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I love the cold weather! I am so siked to get to wear ear muffs. Like the others, the cold is no fun for me when it is damp. It has been a little on the chilly side for this time of year, and I have a merry fire going. My cats are snoozing in front of the woodstove, soaking up some warms.

I have found that I am much more motivated to be outside doing anything when it is cool, rather than hot.

Remember, you can always add another layer, but there is only so much that you can take off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.