Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times

Advertisements

1. I hate humidity. I can't stress this enough. I grew up in Ohio and the first time I went out west I was so much more comfortable.

2. I hate temperature swings. Again, Ohio has the issue...not at the level the Plains do (Lake Erie helps to control temperature swings) but I can't stand it.

3. I love snow and don't mind rain. That was fantastic cuz NE Ohio has plenty of both. However, climates with ample precip are almost always humid. Well, unless you're talking about Lake Tahoe or Flagstaff which have sunny, dry, low humidity summers and heavy snow winters.

So coastal California is the place for me now. Low humidity, generally no temperature swings, and of course...scenery. I miss snow living here but my hatred...and I mean hatred...for hazy/hot summers is worth the trade in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM

172 posts, read 255,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Absolutely. I moved from Louisiana and the heat/humidity was unbearable. I love heavy snowfalls, cool summers, don't mind the rain, and really appreciate the few sunny days we have. I enjoy 4 seasons, though spring/fall are fairly limited here I found the deep South summers to be oppressive and depressing.
Where did you move to if you don't mind me asking? My husband and I are planning to move from Louisiana because of the heat so i'd like a 4 seasons climate.

*edited* Is it Juneau? Just saw that city listed on your profile but wasn't sure if thats where you went. How colds the winter there?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM

352 posts, read 570,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So coastal California is the place for me now. Low humidity, generally no temperature swings, and of course...scenery. I miss snow living here but my hatred...and I mean hatred...for hazy/hot summers is worth the trade in.
I can understand this...perhaps I too, need to take a look at coastal California.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,322,326 times
Since I am someone who loves to be outdoors, it impacts my life more than some. I live in Michigan and I am outdoors for at least a short time every day from late March through late November. We are currently having a beautiful, temperate, summer with minimal bugs and humidity, so I spend a lot of time outdoors when I'm not working.

We lived in Phoenix for a short time a few years ago. Even though we were there during the summer, we still got outdoors every evening as soon as it cooled down into the 90s, lol. With the low humidity it was just about perfect at around 8-9 PM.

That said, I have noticed in both places where I have lived that so many people tend to hibernate, regardless of the season of the year. For example, our neighbors here in Michigan are the first ones to beef about snow and cold weather in the winter. So...now that it is summer, and a beautiful one at that, as I already pointed out, when we go for a walk in the evening guess how many people we see outside enjoying the weather? Yep, just about as many as we saw in January. Phoenix was exactly the same. Whether it is miserable or beautiful outside, no ever seems to be outside. Everyone in both places seem to have lovely decks/patios and nice outdoor furniture, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, ever seems to be outside sitting on it!

So in the big scheme of things, it seems to me like a lot of people's lives are really not affected by the weather nearly as much as they let on. I mean...if you're sitting on the couch with the thermostat at a steady temperature year round, does it really matter if it's January or July?

Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM

776 posts, read 1,675,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Since I am someone who loves to be outdoors, it impacts my life more than some. I live in Michigan and I am outdoors for at least a short time every day from late March through late November. We are currently having a beautiful, temperate, summer with minimal bugs and humidity, so I spend a lot of time outdoors when I'm not working.

We lived in Phoenix for a short time a few years ago. Even though we were there during the summer, we still got outdoors every evening as soon as it cooled down into the 90s, lol. With the low humidity it was just about perfect at around 8-9 PM.

That said, I have noticed in both places where I have lived that so many people tend to hibernate, regardless of the season of the year. For example, our neighbors here in Michigan are the first ones to beef about snow and cold weather in the winter. So...now that it is summer, and a beautiful one at that, as I already pointed out, when we go for a walk in the evening guess how many people we see outside enjoying the weather? Yep, just about as many as we saw in January. Phoenix was exactly the same. Whether it is miserable or beautiful outside, no ever seems to be outside. Everyone in both places seem to have lovely decks/patios and nice outdoor furniture, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, ever seems to be outside sitting on it!

So in the big scheme of things, it seems to me like a lot of people's lives are really not affected by the weather nearly as much as they let on. I mean...if you're sitting on the couch with the thermostat at a steady temperature year round, does it really matter if it's January or July?
Excellent point. You would think people living in extreme climates like the two you have lived in would be the first ones outside for a walk or to do yard work during a mild sunny 65 degree Saturday morning. I know growing up in the north in a much less extreme climate than Michigan we so looked forward to those warm sunny spring days. In Florida where I have lived my entire adult life is the opposite can't wait for that blast of cold dry air from Canada in the Fall (dropping it into the mid 60's at night<g>) that tends to arrive here later and later each year it seems..

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM

623 posts, read 960,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Where did you move to if you don't mind me asking? My husband and I are planning to move from Louisiana because of the heat so i'd like a 4 seasons climate.

*edited* Is it Juneau? Just saw that city listed on your profile but wasn't sure if thats where you went. How colds the winter there?
Pretty mild. Temp hovers around 24-38 most of the winter, lots of snow. Rarely gets below 15 degrees, or 40 in winter. Summers are cool, with a few days over 70. I really love the outdoors and this is perfect for me.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 AM

172 posts, read 255,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Pretty mild. Temp hovers around 24-38 most of the winter, lots of snow. Rarely gets below 15 degrees, or 40 in winter. Summers are cool, with a few days over 70. I really love the outdoors and this is perfect for me.

Ooo, sounds perfect! I might have to look into Juneau then

Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,834,827 times
I thrive in colder weather. It certainly affects me. During this time of the year during the day I am pretty whiny and grumpy I'd say. I hate getting into my car and it's about 118 in the car alone. I guess I would say that my happy temperatures would be from 35-85 degrees, with Arizona dryness to be clear (and lack of wind). I'd assume those numbers would vary with more wind and humidity. I could probably be better in colder temperatures if I actually owned winter clothing, but I don't. Even in those happy temperatures, the "peak" weather would be the 60s or 50s, IMO.

In that temperature range of 35-85 degrees roughly it mostly depends on where I am. I'm more inclined to want to walk around or be outside. Usually when I get to experience these temperatures are when I get to go to Flagstaff/Sedona, it feels like I can actually think more clearly. I have a little bit of a creative streak in me and I definitely feel inspired when the weather is cloudy and it's in that temperature range. I am also more patient, optimistic, etc.

To canudigit: Arizonans are typically ones to not use the outdoors even when it is nice out, I agree with you there.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM

352 posts, read 570,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Usually when I get to experience these temperatures are when I get to go to Flagstaff/Sedona, it feels like I can actually think more clearly.
I also lived in Tucson, and LOVED visiting the Prescott/Sedona/Flag area. Really nice weather nearly all of the year. Played golf year-round!!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM

421 posts, read 557,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
The whole Weather & Climate thing; how does it impact your physical and mental well being?

Hot & very Humid weather cause me to be irritable, and uncomfortable. I currently live in Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex due to my job, and was in Houston prior to that. The significant moisture combined with heat literally drains my energy level.

I realized that mild temperatures (60-85, with dew points 60 or less) and natural appeal (ocean, mountains, rolling hills, etc.) make me feel more energetic, I have higher levels of physical activity (especially outdoors) and a much better attitude overall. I previously lived in a area which was full of natural beauty, mountains, outdoor activities, drier climate and I felt great.

We have a few good weather days, and I enjoy working here, but I'm not a fan of living here for the weather and despite a fairly good economy, I don't find the DFW all that thrilling nor terribly boring either (considering other places I've lived prior to here).

Though the economy is doing pretty good here, and cost of living is favorable, I'm considering a possible move in the near future.
I agree with this. I am in Houston and I can't be bothered to do much in the summer at all. I used to work outside in the summer and I kind of liked that. It forced me to get used to it. But in and out of buildings/car...even running errands. Ugh. Today I was all excited to go buy a couple outfits for an upcoming trip. By the time I stopped at one store I was so not interested in it. I really, really, dislike the summers down here. Although this year seems mild compared to previous.

I love fall weather and am usually really inspired by it. We don't get much fall here. I love Spring, we get some here that I like.

Winter...I don't know. Like real cold snow winter. I grew up in the pacific north west and the months of cold/clouds didn't bother me as much as they did alot of people. Of course I was always excited to see sun. But I have never had any exposure to real snow for more then a day to know if I would enjoy that climate. I would like to think I would. But could see the fun wearing off fast.

My family is also thinking of relocating and so weather has been at the top of our wish list...just that we can't all agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.