Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

I live in South Dakota. The whole state gets overlooked. LOL That's okay, though. I love where I live and don't need it to be nationally recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
El Paso? I don't know if I'd go that far. I only hear about El Paso when there's cartel violence in the news. Personally, I like Ft. Worth, and in many ways I think it has a better QOL than Dallas. It's a shame that it gets overshadowed by Dallas in the national spotlight, but I think for that reason it's able to maintain it's own individual character and local charm a little more effectively.
Speaking of Texas, Houston seems to be oddly overlooked for a city of it's size. I can understand that it's not the most attractive city out there, but regardless it still deserves its credit.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right To Life View Post
Florence SC.

Really the best city in the state.
Really??? WHY? Seems almost dumpy, especially compared to places like Greenville. Or Charleston. Admittedly, it does get overlooked, but for good reason IMO.
I would probably add Hilton Head and Aiken to that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I live in South Dakota. The whole state gets overlooked. LOL That's okay, though. I love where I live and don't need it to be nationally recognized.
Agreed. South Dakota is a true undiscovered gem. Sioux Falls is a lovely town.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In North Carolina the title would go to the twin cities of Winston Salem and Greensboro. Both are beautiful cities with a good standard of living (low cost) and nice amenities, yet it's all about Charlotte or Raleigh or to a lesser extent Asheville when people talk about North Carolina.
Fayetteville has it worse. Home to one of the largest and most important military installations in the country and it gets overlooked in its own state.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I was going to say San Antonio. For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to get much attention (aside from the Spurs at least). It's not totally ignored, but of the top 10 largest U.S. cities, of which San Antonio is one (#7, I believe)... it gets the least amount of recognition.
This is true, but in Texas, my vote goes to McAllen.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true, but in Texas, my vote goes to McAllen.
McAllen? Why?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Rochester, New York.

Easily the most underrated "large" metrio (>1 million) in this country.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
In Pennsylvania, every city but Philly and Pittsburgh gets overlooked. Not that the other ones are that big in terms of population, or really have much resembling gentrification (except in Lancaster and Bethlehem), but people don't realize how urban feeling even the smaller cities, particularly in South-Central PA, really are. They're all basically mini-Philadelphias, dense with 19th (and even in some cases, 18th) century rowhouses with plenty of historic charm. I do wonder if gentrification continues to pick up along the East Coast if a few of them will become trendy, but that's likely decades away - right now they're more becoming the new homes for Latino families gentrified out of NYC.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
McAllen? Why?
Growing quite fast, will probably be the next 1 million metro in the state, but barely gets any mentions. I guess because it's a border town with Mexican immigrants fueling most of its growth.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Growing quite fast, will probably be the next 1 million metro in the state, but barely gets any mentions. I guess because it's a border town with Mexican immigrants fueling most of its growth.
Well, taking a look at the other "overlooked" cities in Texas that people here have mentioned, there's good reason behind each of them:

- Houston, doesn't seem to get the same kind of press and attention that Dallas or other large cities get even though it's the 4th largest city in America, is one, if not, THE top energy city in America, has NASA and several other things that you would think would make it much more well known than it is.

- San Antonio, home of the Alamo and one of the top pro sports franchises in American sports who just won their 5th title this year, is considered to be a top tourist city by many, has hosted many major sporting events, and yet, still not seen as a "top city" even to some people within the state.

- Fort Worth, .... I'm pretty sure I've covered that several times here.

But what can you say about McAllen that would make others outside of this state say, "Why isn't that city mentioned more often" other than just population? Metro area aside, McAllen is no bigger than Waco or at least, not that much bigger. There are no major universities or companies there, so it just seems more understandable why McAllen isn't known nationally.

Not trying to say anything negative, after all, it is your opinion and technically, I guess that's the question of this thread. But I don't feel that McAllen really needs to be seen on a national level because it really just doesn't have much to be seen.

If that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.