Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 02:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread.

"Our crappy chains are less crappy than your crappy chains."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 02:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Who in the world compared anything in Birmingham with anything in NYC? I never mentioned New York. And you live on Long Island, that is hardly Manhattan. At any rate, look up the Highland Grill in Birmingham. They've won numerous awards..

I live in Georgia, am also quite liberal and I never see Trump or confederate flags. The last time I saw a Confederate flag was in NH. I'm also not religious, but religion doesn't affect dining out on Sundays either around here. Sounds like you were touring around in some real hick areas.
I was. I never said I was in or near Atlanta - I wasn't. I was there in 10th grade, visited the coke factory, it was cool. We did a roadtrip around the eastern part of the country and intentionally avoided some cities b/c they were not on our route. I am just going by what I saw around the areas. And yes, NH has some real hick areas also.

I am just basing my opinion on what I saw. Maybe I'll go back, maybe I won't. AL may have good food, IDK, but they don't rank too highly on anything else ... education, graduation rates, healthcare, safety etc etc ... same with MS. That is facts.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I was. I never said I was in or near Atlanta - I wasn't. I was there in 10th grade, visited the coke factory, it was cool. We did a roadtrip around the eastern part of the country and intentionally avoided some cities b/c they were not on our route. I am just going by what I saw around the areas. And yes, NH has some real hick areas also.

I am just basing my opinion on what I saw. Maybe I'll go back, maybe I won't. AL may have good food, IDK, but they don't rank too highly on anything else ... education, graduation rates, healthcare, safety etc etc ... same with MS. That is facts.
There's no maybe about it, Alabama has great food. And we are all quite aware of the stats on AL & MS, doesn't keep either from having good food. The last thing on my mind when dining out are the local stats on education, graduation rates, healthcare or safety.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:02 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Well, the South might have better chains.. but the North definitely does local restaurants better. Which to me is the real winner because I haven't eaten at a chain in over a month.

I lied, I went to McDonalds and got an Espresso over Vanilla Ice Cream (café helado) a few days ago when it was like 104 degrees for a euro 50

Old 07-22-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well, the South might have better chains.. but the North definitely does local restaurants better. Which to me is the real winner because I haven't eaten at a chain in over a month.
Of course. It makes sense to me that the South has better & more chains bc their local places arent as good, so to supplement that, theres a ton of chains. Im no expert, but this makes sense to me. In the North, we know our local joints rock, hence not as much of a need for chain restaurants.

I mean it’s not rocket science lol.

Im not saying chains are necessarily bad. Some are great but I’m not going to eat @ Dominoes or Pizza hut when we have awesome local pizza places here.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:08 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
With the exception of maybe New Orleans & Nashville, the South doesn't have very many "foodie cities."

This is such a ridiculous statement. Do I really have to start naming the other cities in the South besides New Orleans and Nashville and then compare them to the cities in each of the other regions of the country? The South would come out of that much better than you think when compared to the Northeast, the West, the Southwest and the Midwest. The South also has more variety between all of it's different cities.

I'm not even gonna mention the future great food potential differences between all these regions either. I just know the South's food scene is booming. If you think about the cities we would be comparing even just for few seconds you will see how ridiculous that statement really is.

Last edited by popka; 07-22-2021 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. Do I really have to start naming cities the other cities in the South besides New Orleans and Nashville and then compare them to the cities in each other region of the U.S.? The South would come out much better than you think compared to the Northeast, the West, the Southwest and the Midwest. If you think about all the cities even just for few seconds you will see how ridiculous that statement really is.
I didnt say the south doesnt have ANY foodie cities, I said it doesnt have MANY.

And no need to attack a girl for her opinion, damn. Northeast is better to me thats all. I’m allowed to dislike the South. Ppl so butthurt, damn

Old 07-22-2021, 04:21 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
I didnt say the south doesnt have ANY foodie cities, I said it doesnt have MANY.

And no need to attack a girl for her opinion, damn. Northeast is better to me thats all. I’m allowed to dislike the South. Ppl so butthurt, damn

I'm super butthurt. I live in the Northeast and in the South and I love all regions of the country. You are just vastly underestimating the food in the South's cities. If you would like me to start comparing the food in the cities of the South and the Northeast just let me know.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Bleh, I have Steak & Shakes local here in Tampa. They are not that great. As a northerner, I prefer my region to stay with the mom & pop shops and local restaurants. We don't need anymore chains, thanks.
Steak & Shake has even moved west, they have one in Victorville, CA and a couple in Las Vegas

Old 07-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm starting to think it's all relative. I moved from Rochester, NY to Charleston, SC.

I don't have: Tim Hortons, Boston Market, Bill Grays

I have: Chick Fil-A, Zaxbys, Steak N Shake, Fatz, Hardees, Eggs Up Grill, Kicken Chicken, Wild Wings, Mellow Mushroom, Tastee Freez, Waffle/Huddle House, Firehouse Subs, Jet's Pizza

I'm sure there is more, but LOOK at that list. Even includes regional chains...
Isn't Bojangles in SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.