Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Trust me...when it's 105 in the shade during the day and 90+ degrees at 10pm outside is the last place you'll wanna be. Summer in Texas (and the southeast in general) is absolutely lousy if you like the outdoors.
Say that to the crowds on the Comal/Guadalupe River on a 105 degree day and see if they agree.

90+ degrees at 10PM is nice for a night swim, try it and you may like it.

Try barbecuing when it's 15 degrees outside at high noon. Try sitting on the porch swing on a 0 degree evening.

I spend more time outside in a southern summer than I ever did in a northern winter. Even playing in the snow, maybe it is fun for an hour or so then time to go back into the heated house for hot chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM

This query almost speaks of a troll.

Imagine if the post was "I want to move someplace that never gets hot but I don't want to live in the Northeast, Midwest, or WA, OR, CA, WY, ID, MN, CO."

Old 09-05-2014, 03:16 PM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
Sounds like Cairo, IL to me!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Sounds like Cairo, IL to me!
XXX

Cairo, IL is the South.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Say that to the crowds on the Comal/Guadalupe River on a 105 degree day and see if they agree.

90+ degrees at 10PM is nice for a night swim, try it and you may like it.

Try barbecuing when it's 15 degrees outside at high noon. Try sitting on the porch swing on a 0 degree evening.

I spend more time outside in a southern summer than I ever did in a northern winter. Even playing in the snow, maybe it is fun for an hour or so then time to go back into the heated house for hot chocolate.
Here in Denver (which isn't exactly the north), average daytime highs in January and February are in the 40s and days in the upper 50s/low 60s aren't unheard of. Does it drop down near (and below) zero on occasion? Sure. Is it Minneapolis or Green Bay? No way.

You also highlighted the single most common thing to do in Texas when it's hotter than hell - hang out by the water. A close second is "hang out at the mall/restaurant/any building with a working HVAC system."

Not many people throwing on a backpack and going on a multi-mile hike in mid-July when the ambient temp is 105 and the heat index is 115.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
What about Prescott Arizona. It's cooler, lot's of outdoor activity. Good for small business, great air quality. It only snows a bit, and melts quick, no shoveling needed.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Here in Denver (which isn't exactly the north), average daytime highs in January and February are in the 40s and days in the upper 50s/low 60s aren't unheard of. Does it drop down near (and below) zero on occasion? Sure. Is it Minneapolis or Green Bay? No way.

You also highlighted the single most common thing to do in Texas when it's hotter than hell - hang out by the water. A close second is "hang out at the mall/restaurant/any building with a working HVAC system."

Not many people throwing on a backpack and going on a multi-mile hike in mid-July when the ambient temp is 105 and the heat index is 115.
Actually in Austin there are lots of outdoor cafes and they are crowded, even on summer evenings.

I have hiked in 105 degree heat but yes I usually jump into the river to cool off along the way.

I could also say that it seems the big thing to do outdoors in winter time is skiing/snowboarding and not hiking or biking. So, saying that swimming and water sports are popular in summer is no different than saying winter sports are popular in winter.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know why he's against the South, tbh. He says the humidity and bible thumpers. Lol.

I honestly wouldn't have ruled it out. More relaxed pace of life, more family oriented, and great for an outdoors lover like me! And there are plenty of thriving cities.

Hmm. I think I'll try to get him to consider some parts of the south.
I understand the humidity,, but not going to church is an advantage down here! No lines for brunch and easy parking at the beach when everyone else is at church!

Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Newport Oregon is calling you. It's beautiful no question, but hope you like meth and a non-existent economy.
This site is getting more trippy by the day lol.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I understand the humidity,, but not going to church is an advantage down here! No lines for brunch and easy parking at the beach when everyone else is at church!

Humidity sucks.. thats the worst part of living in the South the summers with the heat and humidity but we have a nice fall and spring. Everyone is always hating on the South. This is not 1850 people get over the Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.