Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:25 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Jesus, are you two in junior high school?
yes. i'm sure that must be the case. you sure are a smart and funny poster. i definitely will be taking cues on humor and decorum from you in the future, because you are, and i usually don't label in this way, but you are a genius. a comedic genius. heck, just an all-around genius. thanks for your contribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
For the people saying that Michigan is cold, it's actually more mild in the winter (temperature wise) than the rest of the Midwest. You want COLD Midwest? Go to the Dakotas. That sh1t is going to kill you. Michigan's average temperature in January is 18 in the Lower Peninsula. Compare that to -4 in the Eastern parts of the Dakotas.

Michigan is warmer than Chicago and Milwaukee BECAUSE of the Great Lakes Blanket that covers the whole state. I remember I was in Grand Rapids during winter and I had driven to it from Chicago and was surprised to find it much warmer than my hometown. I then found out this is normal for Michigan. Now I'm not saying Michigan's winters compare to the South or the Southwest, but to say that it's a "cold" state means you know very little about the Inland States.
I just had to bump this thread, because today is a perfect example of the warming effect of Lake Michigan during an arctic blast. This map shows the current wind chill temp. You can see how the air is warmed as it crosses Lake Michigan. The funny thing is that further south in Indiana where the NW wind misses Lake Michigan, it is actually colder than in MI.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Nah, that map shows a cold front that is currently west of lower Michigan on the map. A few hours later, and LM will be engulfed by it, just like WI/MN/IA/IL/Dakotas are on the map. The Great Lakes certainly do moderate temperatures to varying degrees, but Michigan isn't made out of magic.

For comparison, I looked at Sheboygan (mid-Lake-ish) vs a Michigan city that's around the same latitude (Mt Pleasant is actually a bit south of Sheboygan), and their winters are practically identical:

Dec
Mt Pleasant, MI: 33/20
Sheboygan, WI : 33/19

Jan
Mt Pleasant, MI: 28/14
Sheboygan, WI : 29/13

Feb
Mt Pleasant, MI: 31/14
Sheboygan, WI : 33/18

March
Mt Pleasant, MI: 42/22
Sheboygan, WI : 42/27

-----

It's best to use actual scientific data, though that never stops anyone from "I drove to Chicago once and it was colder" or "I found this one map where Michigan was warmer than Wisconsin."

Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I always thought of Michigan as a beautiful and underrated state. In my opinion, I think MI is the prettiest Midwestern state, but right up there with WI. I never cared much for Detroit, but I dig Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
MI gets dogged due to Detroit and Flint. Swap Chicago with Detroit and Michigan and Illinois would be viewed difeerently

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Nah, that map shows a cold front that is currently west of lower Michigan on the map. A few hours later, and LM will be engulfed by it, just like WI/MN/IA/IL/Dakotas are on the map. The Great Lakes certainly do moderate temperatures to varying degrees, but Michigan isn't made out of magic.

For comparison, I looked at Sheboygan (mid-Lake-ish) vs a Michigan city that's around the same latitude (Mt Pleasant is actually a bit south of Sheboygan), and their winters are practically identical:

Dec
Mt Pleasant, MI: 33/20
Sheboygan, WI : 33/19

Jan
Mt Pleasant, MI: 28/14
Sheboygan, WI : 29/13

Feb
Mt Pleasant, MI: 31/14
Sheboygan, WI : 33/18

March
Mt Pleasant, MI: 42/22
Sheboygan, WI : 42/27

-----

It's best to use actual scientific data, though that never stops anyone from "I drove to Chicago once and it was colder" or "I found this one map where Michigan was warmer than Wisconsin."
You keep denying that Michigan isn't milder than Wisconsin and Minnesota, but this plant hardiness map clearly shows Michigan is a fair bit warmer when it comes to overnight lows in winter.

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Michigan is very beautiful. If Wisconsin didn't have the bulk of the Driftless (MI has none, obviously), I'd easily concede their scenic superiority. UP is one of my favorite places in the world.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
You keep denying that Michigan isn't milder than Wisconsin and Minnesota, but this plant hardiness map clearly shows Michigan is a fair bit warmer when it comes to overnight lows in winter.

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map
That's a bunch of colors on a random map. Find examples of winter lows on the same latitude. I'm saying that places in Wisconsin near the Lake are similar temperature-wise to places right across the Lake in Michigan, and backing it up with US Climate Data.

And whoever said anything about Minnesota??? It's way colder there than eastern WI or MI. Its southern border is a good bit north of Wisconsin's southern border, which is a good bit north of Michigan's border. Not to mention Lake Michigan forming the eastern border of WI and no Great Lakes (outside a strip of Superior on the far northern corner of MN) moderating state temperatures.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
That's a bunch of colors on a random map. Find examples of winter lows on the same latitude. I'm saying that places in Wisconsin near the Lake are similar temperature-wise to places right across the Lake in Michigan, and backing it up with US Climate Data.

And whoever said anything about Minnesota??? It's way colder there than eastern WI or MI. Its southern border is a good bit north of Wisconsin's southern border, which is a good bit north of Michigan's border. Not to mention Lake Michigan forming the eastern border of WI and no Great Lakes (outside a strip of Superior on the far northern corner of MN) moderating state temperatures.
And these random colours show that the west coast of Michigan is a full zone warmer than their counterparts across the lake in Wisconsin, 5b in Wisconsin and 6b in Michigan.
5b = average coldest lows of -15f to -10f,
6b = average coldest lows of -5f to 0f
So about a 10 degree difference between them.
Sorry about the Minnesota part, that was someone else who said that.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I've always thought of Michiganites, or mid-western people in general, as archetypes of the various characters on the Roseanne show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.