Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Perception of Michigan is very blue collar state. Automotive. Urban decay. African American.
Are you talking Michigan or Detroit? African Americans are only 1 out of every 7 people in the state. Most of the cities are quite nice outside of Detroit and Flint, but those are only around 8% of the state's total population.

I feel like Michigan has a huge perception problem since people only see stuff like the city of Detroit or Flint, although that's a very small piece of the state as a whole.

I love Michigan, beautiful scenery around the west and north of the state, wine growing country, all the apple orchards and cidar mills. I love going there in the summer through late fall especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Flat, ugly, cold and boring.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:53 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Muslims, Union, and high taxes.
I think those are other common stereotypes. Not sure where the taxes one came from, the state has always been pretty low tax. It's currently in the top 1/3 of states with the lowest overall tax burden.

It has a huge arabic population for the USA, although it's only around 3% of the state population and muslims are reported to be 1% of the population's religion.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 AM

161 posts, read 246,500 times
I was born in Dearborn (which is this high Muslim area around Detroit), worked in Dearborn, have friends in Dearborn, and currently volunteer in Dearborn frequently. I love the city - it's diverse and the more you get to know folks different from you the more you realize how they really are no different than you.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:15 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Lotd of woods and naturally occurring lakes are more interesting than the western Midwest.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:56 AM
chh chh started this thread

420 posts, read 652,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Funny, most of Michigan is rolling hills, with larger hills up north.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Funny, most of Michigan is rolling hills, with larger hills up north.

Yeah I was gonna leave that one alone. Michigan isn't mountainous but it is far from flat.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Yeah I was gonna leave that one alone. Michigan isn't mountainous but it is far from flat.
And far from ugly and boring and only truly cold for 4-5 months of the year, depending on which part of the state you live in. He should have been here during the summer of 2012 with extended periods of 90+ degree weather and drought conditions!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 29,108 times
I live in the south (Georgia to be exact), and I have no hate for Michigan whatsoever. I'm not gonna lie, I feel pretty bad for Detroit with it constantly losing population, booming with crime, etc.
But I don't let one city (though it be the most well-known in Michigan) make up my entire view on the state. I could be pretty sure the Detroit area actually has some nice suburbs. Also, I've never actually been to Michigan, but my mom has been to Traverse City before, and said she thought it was a great place. I personally just view Michigan as just another state in our wonderful country, I don't see it as a horrid place. Probably a crazily cold, snowy place in the winter, but overall a nice state I guess.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Beautiful and highly regarded Big 10 college campuses, Vernor's, Faygo Pop, gym shoes, Grand River Avenue, MC Breed, the Dayton Family, Isham, ICP, Kid Rock, the Red Cedar River, Lake Michigan, Woodward Avenue, the Ambassador Bridge, Greektown, CATA, WJLB, Power 96.5, Muskegon Reds football, pasties from the U.P., Pershing Doughboy basketball, 10 cent refunds, going to the Quality Dairy, the Dutch Reformed influence on the western side of the state, Belle Isle, getting ice cream on the MSU campus, seeing members of the Fab Five in A squared, hanging out in Stevensville, watching a football game in Holt and Motown are some things I think about in terms of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.