Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 PM

43 posts, read 71,734 times

Advertisements

By white I mean (European descent, non-middle eastern, non-Latino/Hispanic)large I don't just mean having over 100k people. I mean a culturally and economically important city, not the kind of place that when you tell someone where you're from, they say "where?"

I know Seattle and Portland are the most common answers, but besides those cities (which happen to be very much liberal/hippy cities which is a big turn off IMO) why are the other biggest and whitest cities?

If you have anything to say about this question that isn't helpful please refrain. I'm looking for a place to live and I am entitled to my preference. If you knew my history you would understand, I am a white African immigrant to the USA (not from South Africa - coming from a hostile country called Zimbabwe). I came here and settled in NY, but for long term it would be nice to find a place where people who look like me and have a similar (Anglo-Saxon) culture are. Also, I'm a bit on the conservative side socially for someone my age being a Christian and more traditional in my views , I prefer larger cities because of jobs and amenities.

Thanks so much and hope you have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM

172 posts, read 292,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
By white I mean (European descent, non-middle eastern, non-Latino/Hispanic)large I don't just mean having over 100k people. I mean a culturally and economically important city, not the kind of place that when you tell someone where you're from, they say "where?"

I know Seattle and Portland are the most common answers, but besides those cities (which happen to be very much liberal/hippy cities which is a big turn off IMO) why are the other biggest and whitest cities?

If you have anything to say about this question that isn't helpful please refrain. I'm looking for a place to live and I am entitled to my preference. If you knew my history you would understand, I am a white African immigrant to the USA (not from South Africa - coming from a hostile country called Zimbabwe). I came here and settled in NY, but for long term it would be nice to find a place where people who look like me and have a similar (Anglo-Saxon) culture are. Also, I'm a bit on the conservative side socially for someone my age being a Christian and more traditional in my views , I prefer larger cities because of jobs and amenities.

Thanks so much and hope you have a great day!
Seattle may be 69% white, but the remaining 31% are comprised of a pretty diverse array of races and ethnicities, so it actually gives the city a more multi-cultural feel than many other cities dominated by two races (e.g. Almost entirely White and black or white and Hispanic).

Also, Seattle has the most diverse zip code in the country.

Seattle's 98118 zip code the most diverse in the country

Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Pittsburgh
Des Moines
Omaha
Boise
Spokane
Duluth
Portland (Maine)
Asheville

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Pittsburgh
Des Moines
Omaha
Boise
Spokane
Duluth
Portland (Maine)
Asheville
Spokane, Portland (ME) and Asheville are places that interest me.
Are these places "real" cities? With things to do and an urban feeling? Or are they more just large towns?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Anywhere in Maine or the rural Northeast.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 PM

239 posts, read 350,425 times
White, conservative Anglo-Saxon dominated large cities are going to be almost impossible to find in the US. Seattle and Portland are quite liberal.

I wish I could be more helpful but you're facing an uphill battle. Most American cities with amenities tend to be diverse or at the very least dominated by non-Anglos.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
I don't think you'd feel super out of place in Portland actually. It's only the inner southeast and downtown that have a highly liberal/bohemian feel. You'd meet plenty of Christians and conservatives in Southwest Portland, Beaverton, etc. Portland is liberal by American standards but it's definitely not Sweden either.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't think you'd feel super out of place in Portland actually. It's only the inner southeast and downtown that have a highly liberal/bohemian feel. You'd meet plenty of Christians and conservatives in Southwest Portland, Beaverton, etc. Portland is liberal by American standards but it's definitely not Sweden either.
Is Portland the type of place that still has values? Like here where I am now (Queens, NY - it was the only place in America where I knew someone) I was at a shopping mall in a mostly Jewish and Italian ethnicity suburb and I saw two men (presumably a couple) holding hands and they kissed etc. I don't particularly have any animosity to homosexuals but public displays of affection between anyone is something I frown upon in a place where there are lots of families with children. I could expect that in Manhattan or Hollywood but in shopping centre in a family oriented suburb I was expecting someone to tell them to tone down that kind of behavior in front of children. In my eyes that was a pretty clear measure of the moral compass (or lack thereof) of this community. Is something like I just describe setting that would happen in Portland?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
White, conservative Anglo-Saxon dominated large cities are going to be almost impossible to find in the US. Seattle and Portland are quite liberal.

I wish I could be more helpful but you're facing an uphill battle. Most American cities with amenities tend to be diverse or at the very least dominated by non-Anglos.
By Anglo I meant english speaking. I do not require to live in an area that is mostly "WASP" as they say. It would be totally fine to live somewhere with "ethnic" white people like the Irish or the Italians or Eastern Europeans etc. as long as it's somewhere that I visually will fit in and look like the majority of the population.

I find it hard to believe that all large American cities are atheistic and majority Hispanic/Asian/Black. Isn't this a majority white country and the most religious western nation? Where do all of those people who contribute to that statistic live?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Anywhere in Maine or the rural Northeast.
Does Maine and surrounds have amenities, cultural offerings and a healthy economy?

Also, is there a decent amount of young people. I would like to make friends and meet people. I'm 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.