Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New England feels claustrophobic?
Yes 35 29.17%
No 85 70.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I guess you like it, but I do wish that the NYC Metro area would be more built up. It feels like if you go even a couple of miles north of the Bronx it starts to turn into the boonies. Would be nice if you could have Bronx-style density up into Connecticut
Why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 PM

115 posts, read 96,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Not false at all. You're moving the goalposts. I said it doesn't matter if you're right because you made up your mind before looking at the evidence, and therefore your interpretation is suspect. You're saying I should "move along" because you're right, when my whole point was that it doesn't matter if you're right on a particular issue when you demonstrate obvious bias and therefore can't be trusted.

Your refusal to concede that there are any positives about New England (at least compared to any other place) is similarly damning. If someone posted, with a citation, that New England had a 5 percent higher occurrence of beautiful rainbows than Upstate New York, you would surely either try to find a statistic that showed that more rainbows appeared in the Adirondacks, or claim it doesn't matter because New England rainbows are of lower quality and "beauty" is subjective, or say that rainbows in general are irrelevant and people in California laugh at Northeasterners' interest in rainbows. You wouldn't be able to concede the rainbow point, and I think on at least some level you probably know that.

I've had a rule of thumb for years, and it's served me very well, that if someone is advocating a position and can't admit any cons to the position, it's not worth my while to listen to that person at all.
Uh, he posted them earlier in the thread. You need to actually read the thread.

I also know from personal experience that MA, CT and RI are not heavily forested states. Any sort of data is secondary, and I was extremely skeptical of nei's numbers. 55% treed in the state I come from? You can **** right off with that. No way in hell. I've been to them plenty. The Adirondacks are more comparable to Northern New England. The rest of the state is more comparable to Southern. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are the real gems of New England. It's not the whole package. Stop acting like Northern New England and Southern New England are similar, because they're not.

New England is overrated as ****. People (especially natives) act like it's the only place with fall foliage, forestry, history and beaches, when in actuality, it's no different, or better or worse than anywhere else. The difference is, it's elitist as ****. Look at the income inequality and racism Boston is known for. Nose up in the air. The nightlife is average, the climate is awful, it's not welcoming to outsiders, the food is nothing special, etc. I can go on.

I don't understand the constant propping up of a place so incredibly average. Modesty is not a trait of New England, and it's also rooted in their holier than thou Puritan roots. I've been blown away by the beauty of states like Washington and Oregon, the cosmopolitan culture of New York, the size of Los Angeles, the climate of Hawaii, the food of Philadelphia or New Orleans, and the skyscrapers of Chicago. New England is no different than the rest of the Northeast. Is Mount Washington gold plated or something? Even from a sports perspective, the fairweather nature of the sports fans is irritating.

New York has the Statue of Liberty. Philadelphia has the Liberty Bell. Seattle has the Space Needle. San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge. Los Angeles has the Hollywood Sign. St. Louis has the Gateway Arch. Washington has the Washington Monument. Boston has... the Citgo sign.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...BNI/story.html

Last edited by GarbanzoBeans; 06-16-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 08:12 PM

What do you know? I was right. Even from anecdotal experience, you can literally see the difference. Southern New England and NJ/SE PA are the same ****ing thing. Upper New England is the same as the Adirondacks.

Also, another point I want to make is the climate difference. Boston fall foliage happens the same ****ing time New York and Philadelphia does. The coasts for Mid-Atlantic and New England are pretty much the same while interior/Upper New England and Upstate NY are more closely related.

The ocean has a warming effect on the coastal cities and climates.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...e.0072540.g001

nei has yet to post his source after being asked, might I add.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Would you look at that. Boston, New York and Philadelphia are in the same peak zone.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 PM

There's this notion that Upper and Lower New England are the same thing. I beg to differ.

People tend to think Boston is down the street from Mount Washington or something or that it's in the mountains. It's not. It's virtually the same as New York and Philadelphia. Typical Northeast flora and fauna in the metro area.

I will say something positive about the sub region however, in that there is versatility in options between Upper and Lower regarding outdoor activities.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Eastern Broadleaf Forest.

Looks to me like CT, MA and RI are like NJ, NY, PA, etc.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Gabanzo, what exactly is the point of all these maps and what are trying to prove? You sort of lost me.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Gabanzo, what exactly is the point of all these maps and what are trying to prove? You sort of lost me.

From here onward basically. (Start at page 8)

New England feels claustrophobic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Yes, for a very specific type of biomass, which doesn't tell the whole story.

CT, MA and RI are literally no different than most of NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
The Adirondacks are larger than Vermont and New Hampshire. Whats your point?

Cherry picking a region within Upstate NY that has marginally less forestry than all of Massachusetts?

Southern New England is literally no different than New Jersey.

Northern New England is pretty different to Southern, which is more similar to the Adirondacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm, no. Have you been in southern New England? Very little here makes me think of New Jersey. Landscape isn't that close, except for maybe the far NW corner of New Jersey.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 PM

I claimed CT, MA and RI to be more in common in terms of biomass with NJ.

nei claimed otherwise.

Maps show they're in the same ecoregion, and his post about MA being 85% forested was refuted by ABQ.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
From a terrain and climate perspective, you make a fair point.

From a geographical perspective, there are some differences. For instance, parts of the Connecticut shoreline is quite rocky while the Jersey Shore is mostly sand. Connecticut is also hillier then New Jersey (especially of course southern New Jersey).

IMO, what really matters is whether the person is looking for differences or looking for similarities. In other words, if a person is looking for differences between New Jersey and Connecticut (or for that matter Massachusetts and New York), that person is going to find them and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.