Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
You may be correct So these laws are needed because people act more violent?
Huh? lol

what laws?

Quote:
You should have seen the face of my American friend when a cop pulled us over Some people are really scared of them. Also Police is everywhere in you country! I can't even remember when was a last time I saw Police in Finland.
They are? oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Majurius, iNviNciBL3 is what we call a "home body". He and a lot of Americans are out of touch or in denial about our problems. Most don't want to admit them. Others they simply never leave their small towns or cities and are oblivious to the issues that are a major problem. All because they don't see them from a first hand account.
I think you need to actually read my posts lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
THIS! I was waiting for someone to say it and finally someone did…

The American police have no choice but to be violent. They don't want to. They have their own families to go home to….

I love and support our cops. They have a tough job to do…
It's quite a broad stroke though, most of the suspects did deserve it, some didn't. Most police don't want to. Some of them (probably the deranged minority) do, especially for a free tropical vacation.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:50 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
I'm glad my country has such badass cops that they can handle situations like that without guns

Majurius, one of the reasons that I've seen (I personally know several cops and army brats) is that USA has many options if you want to be in law enforcement.

First let's assume that this profession draws a certain types of people and they would be cool as long as they are working in some law enforcement capacity. I know when my friends started out, they didn't
care whether they would be working for the police, sheriff, fire dept, or a federal agency. They gladly went to whoever took them.

In Finland, I believe you guys have the police, military, border patrol, custom, and maybe a couple of minor agencies. For a law-enforcement personalities, they don't have a lot of options beside joining one of the above.

In USA, we have a LOT more options - FBI, CIA, DEA, Secret Service, NSA, Coast Guards, in addition to Border Patrol, Custom, military, police, and Sheriff. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some more. What does that mean? It means there is a pecking order - the best and the brightest usually join the federal agencies like FBI - they're seen as more glamorous (maybe the pay is higher? But I dunno). The police is at the very bottom of the pecking order - they get the leftovers. I bet you if you survey every single cop in the country, most of them had applied for jobs with other agencies and were turned down. This means the police are scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of personnel and it's hard to maintain quality control that way.

And what we are seeing is the quality differential being played out - there are some brilliant cops mix in with some truly utterly incompetent ones. Mix in a prevalent gun culture and some violent culture that is both embedded within and imported from outside; and you have a recipe for occasional disaster. But I will add that deadly confrontations are not the norm, but police overstepping their bounds often is.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Majurius, one of the reasons that I've seen (I personally know several cops and army brats) is that USA has many options if you want to be in law enforcement.

First let's assume that this profession draws a certain types of people and they would be cool as long as they are working in some law enforcement capacity. I know when my friends started out, they didn't
care whether they would be working for the police, sheriff, fire dept, or a federal agency. They gladly went to whoever took them.

In Finland, I believe you guys have the police, military, border patrol, custom, and maybe a couple of minor agencies. For a law-enforcement personalities, they don't have a lot of options beside joining one of the above.

In USA, we have a LOT more options - FBI, CIA, DEA, Secret Service, NSA, Coast Guards, in addition to Border Patrol, Custom, military, police, and Sheriff. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some more. What does that mean? It means there is a pecking order - the best and the brightest usually join the federal agencies like FBI - they're seen as more glamorous (maybe the pay is higher? But I dunno). The police is at the very bottom of the pecking order - they get the leftovers. I bet you if you survey every single cop in the country, most of them had applied for jobs with other agencies and were turned down. This means the police are scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of personnel and it's hard to maintain quality control that way.

And what we are seeing is the quality differential being played out - there are some brilliant cops mix in with some truly utterly incompetent ones. Mix in a prevalent gun culture and some violent culture that is both embedded within and imported from outside; and you have a recipe for occasional disaster. But I will add that deadly confrontations are not the norm, but police overstepping their bounds often is.
This sounds resonable. Security is much smaller business here than in America.

Also education might have something to do with it. In Finland it's very hard to get in to the police academy, you need to have good grades from high school etc. Just a couple of years ago there were almost none female officers because they couldn't handle the physichal exam. Now they made it little easier for women, but they are still not allowed to patrol alone, they always have a male partner.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Huh? lol

what laws?

They are? oh.

I think you need to actually read my posts lol
Laws that allow the use of deadly force

Yes they are. I have never seen so many police patrol cars. In Finland I can go weeks without seeing one. Also it's super rare to see someone pulled over.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha! Here it's up to like $2.25 but earlier this winter is was around $1.95. My wallet was happy (still is!) because I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Totally agree! Rep for you.
Yes we all know that American made Italian cars have poor mileage, but this is not exactly what this topic is about

Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Yes we all know that American made Italian cars have poor mileage, but this is not exactly what this topic is about
You're right, the topic is you trolling so keep on keeping on, I hope you enjoy it because it sure is entertaining to watch

Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're right, the topic is you trolling so keep on keeping on, I hope you enjoy it because it sure is entertaining to watch
Nice comeback

Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
OP doesn't understand the U.S. at all, as noted by his offering of the UK and Germany as examples of "diverse nations". Both the UK and Germany, as a whole, would easily be the least diverse areas of the U.S. if they were a part.

OP lives in Finland which is about as significant population-wise as Oregon or Colorado.

Obviously OP sees lots of sensational news about the U.S. and is understandably quite bored with life in Finland.

I can't say I know much about a tiny frozen country in the northern Europe with a population smaller than several American metropolitan areas, nor do I think someone from such a place can grasp anything about the United States. But hey, he has seen some stuff on TV! (assuming they have TV in Finland)

Thanks for your interest in the U.S., though OP. Believe me, it is not reciprocated.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
I agree that its the media that adds fuel to the fire. They constantly covered the Ferguson case, the Trayvon Martin case, and many more. It's gotten to a point where a majority of the population hates the police because they think there all violent. That's the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. Notice how the media only brings up cases if they bring up the race card. This is why i despise the news. They have gone too far but unfortunately that's what the majority of Americans want to hear. Im done with the media ONLY using terms such as black, white, unarmed, and kid? Dont use the words that the media is telling you to use. Stop using the term "Black unarmed teen killed by white cop". There is no difference between black and white. We are all the same. If the media never existed then these topics wouldn't nearly come up as often as now. Ever since the media reported these events, the society started unnecessary violent protests and it ended up destroying businesses and hurting more lives. I dont mind protests at all. We have the right too but is burning down businesses and looting stores going to solve anything. No!

Plus Finland doesnt nearly have as many guns as the United States. We have a constitution right to bear arms and every individual should have the right to own a gun. If you are holding a hostage in a house sometimes the police have to use lethal force or the suspect could harm the hostage or even themself. Its gotten to a point where some police departments are using body cameras.
How are those urban natives treating you, Explorer? Do they shoot their arrows at you a lot? Do you trade whiskey for blankets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.