Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, it's not. For one, the oceans are saltwater and the Great Lakes are freshwater. This changes the type of wildlife you find at each.

Interesting that there are seagulls at the Lakes. I've never thought of that possibility before.
Keep thinking....live a block from the lake...today 5 foot waves, but because the Lake waves aren't DILUTED with salt, they pack a punch equivalent to 8? foot saltwater effervescent waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Yup, and pelicans and every (?) other sea bird. I've always seen swans, so I'm pretty sure they're native as well. Side note: if you want to talk big "exotic" birds, sandhill cranes are basically everywhere in Wisconsin now, and they look like dinosaurs out in the fields.
We were just in Door County Wisconsin on the bay side and were surprised to see Pelicans. Big ones - and lots of them.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Also Herons and Bald Eagles. There are even a few pairs of nesting swans where my mother lives....they most certainly are escapees that went wild.
I often see white swans along the shore of the Detroit River.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Yup, and pelicans and every (?) other sea bird. I've always seen swans, so I'm pretty sure they're native as well. Side note: if you want to talk big "exotic" birds, sandhill cranes are basically everywhere in Wisconsin now, and they look like dinosaurs out in the fields.
Pelicans? Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a pelican in this part of the Great Lakes. They must stay on the western end of the lakes region.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Pelicans? Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a pelican in this part of the Great Lakes. They must stay on the western end of the lakes region.
There are regularly seagulls and pelicans, and just about every other kind of migratory north american bird, in Kansas, which is about as far away from an ocean as you can get...

Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure Pelicans are everywhere nearby larger bodies of water. I've seen them on Mille Lacs here in Minnesota, and huge flocks of them on lakes in North Dakota.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
We were just in Door County Wisconsin on the bay side and were surprised to see Pelicans. Big ones - and lots of them.
They're all over the city of Green Bay, too. You don't see them (at least I don't) south of there very often, though. I grew up in Door County, and they were a rarity until a decade or so ago. They seem to prefer Green Bay to Lake Michigan (GB is part of LM, but is still a different sort of ecosystem), which is why you saw so many on the Bay side. I saw a bunch up at Newport on the Lake side a couple weeks ago, though that's just about at the tip.

Just overall, I'm seeing more large and previously rare/unusual birds in the region (the region being MN/WI/MI). Well, and big animals as well (moose, elk, bear, and the like). Conservation paying off in the region, at least until our "awesome" governor decides we'd rather have a little more short-term petroleum and lead deposits.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
They're all over the city of Green Bay, too. You don't see them (at least I don't) south of there very often, though. I grew up in Door County, and they were a rarity until a decade or so ago. They seem to prefer Green Bay to Lake Michigan (GB is part of LM, but is still a different sort of ecosystem), which is why you saw so many on the Bay side. I saw a bunch up at Newport on the Lake side a couple weeks ago, though that's just about at the tip.

Just overall, I'm seeing more large and previously rare/unusual birds in the region (the region being MN/WI/MI). Well, and big animals as well (moose, elk, bear, and the like). Conservation paying off in the region, at least until our "awesome" governor decides we'd rather have a little more short-term petroleum and lead deposits.
It was our first trip to Door County and we enjoyed it. I hope to be able to explore more of it in the future.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Just overall, I'm seeing more large and previously rare/unusual birds in the region (the region being MN/WI/MI).
Oh yes, definitely. I'd never once seen bald eagles or wild turkeys in the Twin Cities area because they were largely extirpated until starting about 10 years ago. Now they're absolutely everywhere.

Really, that goes for more than just avian life; all sorts of formerly rare or nonexistent mammals are starting to show up here, too. Opossums didn't live this far north until recently, and now they're ubiquitous. Same for coyotes—they were completely nonexistent here until the last decade. Black bears were once rare, but have made it to urban areas now. There have even been mountain lion spottings.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Isn't it crazy? I've seen a couple great snowy owls in northern WI over the last year, apparently they've re-appeared in the area as well. Bald eagles used to be a "wow" moment, but now I see multiples on every trip all across the region. A tagged mountain lion was confirmed about 5 miles from a cabin I spend time in every year in northern WI. A great thing. You ever see sandhill cranes there? WI did a big restoration deal and now they are sighted commonly. I know they've started filling in places in MN and the UP as well. Impressive birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.