Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting link, CortlandGirl. I've heard about Youngstown's plan to shrink itself before. Here's what I don't get, though: Why raze all those houses that are on empty blocks, especially if they are still inhabited. Why force them to leave? Why not just shrink the city limits to say, half what they are now. Then, those who want to remain in the de-incorporated areas could do so with the understanding that they would no longer receive any city services (and would no longer pay city taxes). They could decide for themselves whether they want to stay in their homes and be rural residents, or sell the house to someone else who didn't care if they lived in the city.

Seems more humane to me, and the city still gets to conserve its resources for the areas where people are concentrated....
From what i've read they've only been razing homes that have been condemned or set on fire. Usually when a house sits empty for any amount of time all the aluminum siding, copper plumbing, etc. has been stripped.

I know that part of the plan does say something about buying out the few people that are left in the most unpopulated areas, but that really hasn't happened yet. There has been great discussion about this in the Ohio forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...oungstown.html (starting in post # 65).

As for shrinking the city limits i'm not sure the townships surrounding the city would want to pick them up. They are having trouble collecting money to pay for the land and streets they need to take care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Here are some things they are doing w/the green spaces created so far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2973034-post43.html This post lists 3 different green space websites.

Youngstown Moxie II

Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Omaha, NE and Des Moines, IA are good mid sized cities that are doing fairly well in this current economic cycle. Both offer a diverse economy with very low housing prices.
I cannot for the life of me figure out what most people in Omaha do for a living. My brother-in-law works for a TV station, and a lot of DH's classmate from Omaha Central High School are doctors and lawyers. But how much doctoring and lawyering do you need per capital?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Thought i would share this slideshow w/everyone interested in pictures of the rustbelt Youngstown: Descent into Darkness (slideshow) | Lightstalkers (http://www.lightstalkers.org/galleries/slideshow/6676 - broken link) Not the prettiest scenes of Youngstown, but things are changing despite the past 30 years.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Welcome to the "Rust Belt"

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Thought i would share this slideshow w/everyone interested in pictures of the rustbelt Youngstown: Descent into Darkness (slideshow) | Lightstalkers (http://www.lightstalkers.org/galleries/slideshow/6676 - broken link) Not the prettiest scenes of Youngstown, but things are changing despite the past 30 years.
These pictures certainly do tell a story of a place that once had a thriving economy but in recent decades has descended into an abyss. Hopefully this can eventually turn around.

A few years ago I actively researched the Youngstown-Warren area and thought about moving there to start up my little radio station. Unfortunately the lack of even entry level employment opportunities put an end to that idea.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Right now, the cost of transporting goods from Asia to the US adds something like 9% to the final cost, relative to just a few years ago. If oil goes to $200/barrel, this transportation surcharge becomes 15%. Global outsourcing only makes sense if the cost of transportation is low. Once fuel becomes expensive, local manufacturing becomes more economical. This may, over time, lead to the revival of American industry.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
A revival in train usage may also result.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
The western edge of the rust belt is harder to define, but I would certainly think that Sioux City, IA would fit the mold of the rust belt town and would be on the very western edge of the rust belt. It had numerous meat packing plants and is down to three, had a Zenith plant, and GM had a plant. Many of these along with other manufacturing shut down in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. The city did OK in the mid to late 1990s with Gateway growing, but the headquarters went to California and the city lost a lot of jobs in the earlier part of this decade (many of them manufacturing). The city had a strong labor union presence in its politics.

The city was often called "sewer city" and is dirtier than Sioux Falls (which was the same size as it in 1980s but is twice as big now and is its white collar cousin) and Omaha to the south. The city has had a bad rap, especially back in the 1980s when things were downright bad down there economy wise. The meat packing plant still there emits a strong smell when one is going down I-29 south of downtown.

The city has being trying to clean its image but is not as progressive as Sioux Falls and Omaha. I see some improvements with a new events center and improvements in the area, but more can be done.

Other Midwestern cities that would also fit the mold as western end rust belt cities include: Waterloo, IA; Cedar Rapids, IA; inner city St. Louis; Quad Cities (Davenport area), and Duluth, MN. I know that Sioux Falls, SD; Fargo, ND; Twin Cities; Des Moines, IA; Omaha, NE (although it had old industry and has successfully reinvented itself); and Madison, WI would fall in the line of thriving new economy cities that are based on services and may have some industry but have not experienced the brunt of industrial decline as much as the rust-belt like cities in this region and other rust belt areas.

Other rust belt city candidates include:
Gary, IN
South Bend, IN
Saginaw, MI
Muskegon, MI
Rockford, IL
Erie, PA
Liverpool, OH
Ashtabula, OH
Johnstown, PA
Altoona, PA
Buffalo, NY

Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times

Last edited by the_pines; 07-30-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.