Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times

Advertisements

A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. 21
I doubt the test holds for much variance. Take the case of a wealthy family who lives on a large ranch. Trucks are common, but it does not mean lower class, more a rural life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 09:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
I think there's a huge generational difference in this thing.

I scored 22.

I work in a scientific field. Nearly all my friends and acquaintances are politically left-leaning atheists, even though I live in the south (NC specifically). And about half my actual friends are gay. I myself am bisexual. I do venture out of this bubble frequently though. I live in a neighborhood where I'm probably the only white person with a college degree. I have some experience with poverty. My family got hit very hard by the housing bubble. And three of us have been scraping by unemployed at some point. I've almost exclusively dated outside my race... not purposefully but it's an odd coincidence.

In terms of socioeconomic status, I have friends in the highest places and the lowest places, and all manner in between.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM

623 posts, read 958,445 times
I scored 59. Grew up fairly poor with a working class father and stay at home mother. I'm not materialistic, have friends in every social group I can think of and would rather have adventures than make a fortune. I don't concern myself with what's trendy or trashy, don't judge others (on a regular basis, I'm sure we all have our moments) and don't allow political views to get in the way of friendship, even though some of my left leaning friends think I'm the spawn of Satan since I'm libertarian.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
35. Sounds like the right category, though that one has a wide range. Some of the questions seem outdated, though.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 PM

300 posts, read 441,325 times
69. Grew up in a low income blue collar area. People that scored low are pointing out exceptions, but again, those are small exceptions.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 PM

300 posts, read 441,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And conversely, in much of the coastal Northeast few whites of any class are evangelical. And the working-class mostly doesn't drive pick-up trucks nor watch NASCAR. Or would know what Branson, Missouri is. Maybe we're more out of touch from "average America" but that doesn't make them elitist.
From PA, there majority of my high school drove trucks, watched NASCAR, and I knew what Branson, MO is. Maybe you're in a bubble.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:01 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
23; I fit into both of these categories.

"11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9."

I agree with all of it and the implications. People always assume growing up in a big city means you're exposed to everything and have the most accurate possible perspective on the world, but I had no idea how religious (for example) the average American is before I left Chicago.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I got a 35.

My parents were both well traveled intellectual types - New Yorkers and then Floridians. My Dad served in the US Army and my Mom in the US Navy. I grew up in a middle class suburb. We did dine out in places like Denny's, IHOP, and Outback (wish Red Lobster was on the list!) My Dad was a regional sales rep and bought a new car - either a Chevy or a Buick every four years. Our family was not snobbish though and we loved barbecue, roadside attractions, flea markets, Sunday drives, etc.

I'm a very mixed bag. I have some friends who live in rather run-down blue collar working class neighborhoods in North Philly. I go camping with a friend and sleep in tent in the summer. I drive a 10 year old Hyundai Sonata. I wear a uniform at work. On the other hand I love classical music, go to the symphony (Philly has one of the best in the world!), art museums, collect original art and antiques (my home is a 120 year old Victorian with 3 stories, 3 fireplaces, stained glass windows, etc.) I travel to exotic destinations (Sri Lanka, Tibet, Peru, Oman, Samoa, Iceland, Argentina, Myanmar, Morocco, etc.)

Most people you cannot generalize or 'pigeon-hole'. I guess we all have elements of two or more classes and socio-economic statuses in us.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I got a 32. I don't fit into either of the categories (0-43 & 11-80) though, at least not as of right now.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
I got 18. The test thinks I have money, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.