Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 AM

561 posts, read 514,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
You are trying too hard to defend Omaha. No need rk be sensitive about it.

Omaha's version of health stores is laughable compared to what I could find in a bigger coastal city and believe it or not, many of the items I need were actually cheaper in Seattle and DC because they were abundant and there are enough people with different diets. In Omaha, I saw way more obese people than I ever have in the coastal cities. But that's typical of the Midwest (except maybe Minneapolis or Madison).

Also, Omaha is not 1 million people. Thats the entire metro region youre talking about, which includes Council Bluffa by most reports. The city itself is around 500K according to the last census, if Im correct. Still not small, but Omaha felt unusually smaller too me.

Also, you guys were trying to say its on me if I cant find people my own age with my own interests. And youre partially right. I attended Meetup groups, tried to find interest groups for non students through UNO and even went to a couple churches even though Im not religious. I was not able to meet people who have traveled like me and have lived in other cities. Im sure some exist in Omaha, but it was harder for me to meet them. It felt like an overwhelmingly 40+ yo married with kids type of citt. So yeah, it was on me which is why I left. To me, Omaha is podunk compared to what I experienced in Seattle and DC. Its a subjective term and its what this thread is talking about, which js why I shared my experience. If you are offended, perhaps you shouldnt participate in such discussions.
Never stated I was offended. Just asked for a straight up comment.. Not the backhanded passive aggressive shctick. Of course we were talking metro when I stated Omaha was a 1 million METRO on my response..

I appreciate you changing your tone, being straight up with your opinion of Omaha. But that's your experience and opinion. I completely disagree with 100% of it..

To each their own..

Peace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
The name of this thread reeks of elitism.
A big city is not inherently better than a smaller town.
If you want to have backyard barbecues, bonfires, or go hiking, or let your kids play street Hockey, living in a small town is way better than say Manhattan.
Every place has its positives and negatives.
There is a reason Cape Cod, the Adirondacks, The Hamptons, Maine and Central NH are so popular for tourists. It is because as much as you can't get what NYC offers in Laconia, NH, the opposite is also true

Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The name of this thread reeks of elitism.
A big city is not inherently better than a smaller town.
If you want to have backyard barbecues, bonfires, or go hiking, or let your kids play street Hockey, living in a small town is way better than say Manhattan.
Every place has its positives and negatives.
There is a reason Cape Cod, the Adirondacks, The Hamptons, Maine and Central NH are so popular for tourists. It is because as much as you can't get what NYC offers in Laconia, NH, the opposite is also true
Thank you. I find threads like this extremely annoying, and the word "podunk" shows a lack of class, by anyone who would use it. If you read some of the posts, they're eerily similar to what I would consider school-yard bullying.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Thank you. I find threads like this extremely annoying, and the word "podunk" shows a lack of class, by anyone who would use it.
Then don't participate in the thread. What's the point in sitting on the sidelines and whining about how you don't like the topic?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Then don't participate in the thread. What's the point in sitting on the sidelines and whining about how you don't like the topic?
I don't like, particularly, how you dismiss and insult an entire city, based on your ability, or lack, thereof, to meet and intermingle with young people. You also tried to insult (LOL) the metro, because part of it is in Iowa. Maybe Omaha wasn't for you, but your statements are stereotypical and extremely rude. No need to bash what some consider a lovely city. State your experience, but stop name-calling.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I don't like, particularly, how you dismiss and insult an entire city, based on your ability, or lack, thereof, to meet and intermingle with young people. You also tried to insult (LOL) the metro, because part of it is in Iowa. Maybe Omaha wasn't for you, but your statements are stereotypical and extremely rude. No need to bash what some consider a lovely city. State your experience, but stop name-calling.
I think you are too sensitive to participate in discussion forums on the internet. If my posts were seriously offensive to you, I'm sorry but you need to go join a kumbaya club.

Also, I didn't bash Omaha. I stated my experience and why I didnt like it. Thats what others are doing in this thread as well. I also mentioned a positive which is that people in Omaha are more humble than on the coasts, even if only on the surface.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I think you are too sensitive to participate in discussion forums on the internet. If my posts were seriously offensive to you, I'm sorry but you need to go join a kumbaya club.

Also, I didn't bash Omaha. I stated my experience and why I didnt like it. Thats what others are doing in this thread as well. I also mentioned a positive which is that people in Omaha are more humble than on the coasts, even if only on the surface.
Maybe I am too sensitive. But if that's the case, good for me. I'll state when I don't like a city's topography, or that it's too sparsely populated for my liking, but you'll never find me bashing people, calling them fat, and I think your use of "humble" is a very left-handed compliment. Most of us are smart enough to know that "humble" isn't a compliment. SO, if you you think bashing the people of a city, based on the fact they live across the river in Iowa, or that they're obese, carry on. I'll take "sensitive" any day.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe I am too sensitive. But if that's the case, good for me. I'll state when I don't like a city's topography, or that it's too sparsely populated for my liking, but you'll never find me bashing people, calling them fat, and I think your use of "humble" is a very left-handed compliment. Most of us are smart enough to know that "humble" isn't a compliment. SO, if you you think bashing the people of a city, based on the fact they live across the river in Iowa, or that they're obese, carry on. I'll take "sensitive" any day.
Lol Humble isn't a compliment? So would it be a compliment to say a place has a materialistic, greedy, self-absorbed vibe? Jeez, even when I'm trying to point out a pro you still think I'm rude.

I'm not going to apologize for pointing out the obesity. That indicates that the wellness knowledge is lower and people don't take care of themselves (don't tell me everyone in Omaha has "a thyroid disorder"). I value physical fitness and Omaha ranks poorly in that category. Sure, you could say thats also "on me" but any city that has an obesity problem is giving way towards podunk.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
The subjectivity of the terms “podunk” and “world class” gives me the opportunity to write my treatise on urban living so thank you skidamarink. I moved from DC to Louisville, KY and it was the best move I ever made. Many of my friends thought I was moving to a Podunk old river town. Keep in mind the Louisville back then is not the Louisville of today. The sewers had exploded and collapsed some streets and the riverfront was a huge junk yard.

Why was Louisville better for me when DC had better mass transit, better jobs, better architecture, better museums, possibly a better river, better bars and restaurants, more vibrancy, better education opportunities, more diversity, more professional sports, etc? I not sure Louisville outranks DC in anything except livability.

Here is a litmus test for cities – would you move back if you left? I would not move back to DC for anything despite the fact I have close family living there. But I would move back to Louisville in a heartbeat because it is the best place I ever lived. Apparently, it’s not just me because when I worked in Louisville a number of my coworkers left the city for other job opportunities but almost everyone eventually came back! Heck, I believe even Peter1948 has posted he left and came back. It is unreal. Even some retirees who moved to the sunbelt states came back after a few years. I actually am not aware of any retirees who permanently moved away. I maybe the only person who has left and not come back - it is a lonely place.

Well, there are two areas Louisville crushes DC, it is affordability and less traffic congestion. I had a major goal of owning a boat and I could not see myself towing it around in DC traffic. I also got tired of being punched in the stomach every time I inquired about the price of a sandwich or service.

I am so thankful I live in America and have the opportunity to live in some of these so called second and third tier cities.
That's a good test indeed. I have lived in Chicago and Portland, OR in the past and I would not want to go back to either one. Even if I could afford to.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:28 AM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Quote:
I'm not going to apologize for pointing out the obesity. That indicates that the wellness knowledge is lower and people don't take care of themselves (don't tell me everyone in Omaha has "a thyroid disorder"). I value physical fitness and Omaha ranks poorly in that category. Sure, you could say thats also "on me" but any city that has an obesity problem is giving way towards podunk.
Come again?-

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...ifestyle/8817/

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America | Men's Fitness

Top 10 Fittest Cities in America: Apartment Guide List | Shape Magazine

Several credible articles (and there are others) that completely contradict your opinion on Omaha being an obese, physically unfit city..

Peace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.