Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I've never seen the word podunk before. I honestly just assumed it meant a small city.
It's an old word and usually not considered as a nice one to use when describing a place. It does describe a small city or town but also means the town is insignificant or unimportant. It's also like saying a place is a "hick town."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's an old word and usually not considered as a nice one to use when describing a place. It does describe a small city or town but also means the town is insignificant or unimportant. It's also like saying a place is a "hick town."
Oh, okay. Thank you for the clarification.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 PM

208 posts, read 170,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That sucks! Almost anything would be a letdownafter Paris! It reminds me of the song "How ya gonna keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"
Lol, some truth to that, I did get spoiled there

Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In reading all these posts I can't help thinking that maybe "podunk" is in the eye of the beholder.

First of all, I think a better choice of words would have been "less famous" or "less popular" or even "Not world class" as opposed to "world class." If a city doesn't make it for someone, "world class" means very little. "Podunk" or the other descriptions, can be much more satisfying for them.

I think it's a mistake for someone who is considering relocation to another city to get hung up on stereotypes. The important thing is to choose a city that meets all the seeker's criteria. Not everyone needs "world class."
Must be. I've seen posters say they've moved from Chicago to Tuscon etc. Tuscon is in NO way shape or form a podunk city. Posters seem to be using podunk to describe smaller or less desirable locations...because I very much prefer Tuscon to Chicago. Weather, scenery, uniqueness, location, culture, size, etc. I guess it certainly is a very subjective thing to ask...but for some people to suggest that Tuscon is podunk, nah bruh. Podunk to me is completely middle of nowhere small "town" with really not much going on at all, a good drive from a real major metro, etc. It would be tough for me to classify any town/city with more than 40,000 people "podunk". That's jsut me.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
Oh my gosh yes.

In 1990, I moved with my husband and children to Scranton, PA from northern New Jersey. Worst 4 years of my life. My husband wanted to move back to a smaller area. He is from Binghamton, NY and wanted to be a little closer to his family. I already did not like Binghamton and thought since Scranton was bigger, it would be better.

Boy was I wrong! The area seemed like it was trapped in a time wrap. The schools were not up to northern New Jersey standards and the people were very uncultured. I thought transitioning to another northeastern state would be easy, but to my surprise, there was a lot hosility toward people from New York City and New Jersey.

I recently revisited the area and it's still behind the times. I think I even saw a few mullets. It's just a very insular area with little opportunity. My husband had enough too and we took a huge loss and moved back to northern New Jersey.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:45 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy127 View Post
Oh my gosh yes.

In 1990, I moved with my husband and children to Scranton, PA from northern New Jersey. Worst 4 years of my life. My husband wanted to move back to a smaller area. He is from Binghamton, NY and wanted to be a little closer to his family. I already did not like Binghamton and thought since Scranton was bigger, it would be better.

Boy was I wrong! The area seemed like it was trapped in a time wrap. The schools were not up to northern New Jersey standards and the people were very uncultured. I thought transitioning to another northeastern state would be easy, but to my surprise, there was a lot hosility toward people from New York City and New Jersey.

I recently revisited the area and it's still behind the times. I think I even saw a few mullets. It's just a very insular area with little opportunity. My husband had enough too and we took a huge loss and moved back to northern New Jersey.
With this attitude you were suprised they had hostility toward people from the NY metro? Gee I wonder why.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:00 AM

39 posts, read 56,357 times
Yepper, after NYC, then Atlanta, then Memphis - got the hell out of Memphis - worst city I've ever lived in despite its size. It was like stepping back 20 yrs in time!

Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum1 View Post
Yepper, after NYC, then Atlanta, then Memphis - got the hell out of Memphis - worst city I've ever lived in despite its size. It was like stepping back 20 yrs in time!
I personally don't care for Memphis, but please don't think that Memphis is typical of smaller cities. It's a particularly awful place in my opinion, right up there with Little Rock, AR (and not far from it either). I don't know why those two small cities are so crime ridden and backwards but yuck.

There are some very pleasant and progressive and economically thriving smaller cities across this nation and that sort of place is more my preference than huge metro areas with all their traffic and crowds, anonymity and the cost of living. But to each his own.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
I went from the Keys to Tampa then here to Sebring. There isn't much here in Sebring but I do think that people here are friendlier and more down to earth. People here are also more polite and well mannered, even the young people. People wave here. I've made plenty of friends here, almost right away.

People in Tampa didn't seem too friendly. I made one friend in the two months I lived there. People seemed busy and in a hurry all the time. The people I worked with seemed conceited and stuck up. I don't like that. This is something that I've noticed about big cities. South FL area is much worse. This is why I don't care to live in a big city.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:46 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Lived in Washington DC for nearly 10 years, followed by 10 years in Philadelphia...now in Sanford FL (a suburb of Orlando) for 5 years now as a result of family obligations (aging parents). It's an adjustment in many ways and not something one can entirely adjust to in most instances. Many wind up "stuck" for varying reasons unfortunately and is something to consider from the get go if you have the opportunity, or option to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.