Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:43 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Come again?-

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...ifestyle/8817/

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America | Men's Fitness

Top 10 Fittest Cities in America: Apartment Guide List | Shape Magazine

Several credible articles (and there are others) that completely contradict your opinion on Omaha being an obese, physically unfit city..

Peace...
Lmao. Reminds me of the time in D.C. I was told I couldn't possibly know what attractive people looked like because I lived in Ohio and New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Come again?-

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...ifestyle/8817/

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America | Men's Fitness

Top 10 Fittest Cities in America: Apartment Guide List | Shape Magazine

Several credible articles (and there are others) that completely contradict your opinion on Omaha being an obese, physically unfit city..

Peace...
Good tidbits but unfortunately statistics on obesity are not accurate and these reports are misleading. Its hard to get an accurate toll on such figures. I dont need to statistics to see that there are a ton of potbellies walking around Omaha. Even the non-obese people are still noticeably overweight. It was a rarity to see another skinny person like me.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
NYC to Atlanta was a shock for me! Atlanta is not podunck but it is levels below NYC. Had I moved from Charlotte or Memphis it probably wouldnt have been much of change. Alot less international, more religious, more driving, more isolated, less amenities, etc. The worst was working with ignorant clients outside the perimeter. I got the hell out of there as quick as possible, it just wasnt for me. Other switches were less "stressing". DC to Chicago, Chicago to NYC, Atlanta to SF(second buggest "shock" but mostly in a positive way) SF to DC.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:21 AM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Good tidbits but unfortunately statistics on obesity are not accurate and these reports are misleading. Its hard to get an accurate toll on such figures. I dont need to statistics to see that there are a ton of potbellies walking around Omaha. Even the non-obese people are still noticeably overweight. It was a rarity to see another skinny person like me.
Oh please. There are countless recent articles refuting your opinion on Omaha and obesity. I find your latest contribution completely ridiculous..

We get it. You don't like Omaha and think it's "Podunk" because you find its population mainly unfit and obese. But that's your OPINION and not the REALITY.. The fact if the matter is, most of the US is becoming unfit and obese. This is not an Omaha phenomenon..

Just stop with the sweeping generalizations of Omaha and its fitness. I'm moving on..as should you..

Peace...

Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Oh please. There are countless recent articles refuting your opinion on Omaha and obesity. I find your latest contribution completely ridiculous..

We get it. You don't like Omaha and think it's "Podunk" because you find its population mainly unfit and obese. But that's your OPINION and not the REALITY..

Just stop with the sweeping generalizations of Omaha and its fitness. I'm moving on..as should you..

Peace...
Juat stop with the sweeping articlea that use unreliable, faulty research to create generalizations about Omaha and its fitness. Its not reality.

Its apparent that you just have an agenda to defend Omaha without any logic besides posting articles drom sources that make misleading statistics. Did you reply to all the others who commented on a city they consider podunk? You like Omaha and thats fine. I don't and I was simply posting my experience as it relates to the thread. We could go around in circles with thjs if you want. You shouldve left it alone if you didnt want to delve into a discussion on this. If you reply to this post, itll show that youre not ready to move on as you stated.

P.s. sorry for the typos. Typing this quickly from my phone

Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Juat stop with the sweeping articlea that use unreliable, faulty research to create generalizations about Omaha and its fitness. Its not reality.

Its apparent that you just have an agenda to defend Omaha without any logic besides posting articles drom sources that make misleading statistics. Did you reply to all the others who commented on a city they consider podunk? You like Omaha and thats fine. I don't and I was simply posting my experience as it relates to the thread. We could go around in circles with thjs if you want. You shouldve left it alone if you didnt want to delve into a discussion on this. If you reply to this post, itll show that youre not ready to move on as you stated.

Who needs data when we have anecdotes?

Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I left my native Southern California for Ridgecrest, CA, a town of 25K that is one hundred miles from anything. I met my wife there, and made good friends, but tired of the place after three years and was ready to jump into the frying pan again, so off to Denver we went.

I loved Denver the first two years I was here, but a work transfer took me to Spokane, WA (which is not podunk by any stretch, it is the anchor of its region). There, I found true love when it comes to cities/the size of cities/living.

Work didn't work out in Spokane, and we've been back in Denver ever since. It has tons of things I like, and tons of things I hate. It doesn't feel like home to me (after 9 years), so as I get wealthier, the horizons will undoubtedly once again broaden.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived in a metro that was very popular and at the top of its game, and then moved to an undesirable place? What was the experience like for you? Are you happy with the move?
Don't know if I'd call it world class, but I moved from South Beach, Miami back to Pittsburgh (which was just starting to get attention then).

Other than the attractiveness of the women Pittsburgh's much better for me.

Couldn't deal with the 24 hour party & play lifestyle. I'm either working or enjoying my time off. Not good at doing both at the same time. Plus my Spanish is lousy and to make it in Miami without feeling like an outsider you pretty much have to be conversational.

Note: I've since left Pittsburgh. Ironically I have an ex living in Miami now.

Also moved from a popular place Porland, OR to one that's smaller Asheville, NC. Only thing Asheville offers over Portland is better weather for more of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I lived in D.C. for 3 months and returned to Columbus, Ohio. While I really enjoy D.C. things that I don't miss are $9 beers, ungodlly humidity, the cockroaches or the crowds on the metro or traffic.
This is pretty much what everyone I've ever known who moved to DC has said. Never really understood why so many people are excited by DC.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
NYC to Atlanta was a shock for me! Atlanta is not podunck but it is levels below NYC. Had I moved from Charlotte or Memphis it probably wouldnt have been much of change. Alot less international, more religious, more driving, more isolated, less amenities, etc. The worst was working with ignorant clients outside the perimeter. I got the hell out of there as quick as possible, it just wasnt for me. Other switches were less "stressing". DC to Chicago, Chicago to NYC, Atlanta to SF(second buggest "shock" but mostly in a positive way) SF to DC.
Well that's the most drastic move you've made out of the ones you listed, both regionally and size-wise so I'm not surprised.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:

Your dismissiveness comes off as if you have some authority. You don't have to like Omaha, but you're school-yard bullying doesn't lend you much credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.