Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Good tidbits but unfortunately statistics on obesity are not accurate and these reports are misleading. Its hard to get an accurate toll on such figures. I dont need to statistics to see that there are a ton of potbellies walking around Omaha. Even the non-obese people are still noticeably overweight. It was a rarity to see another skinny person like me.
You're a pain.

Statistics? Lol anecdotes are far more accurate!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Also if you dismiss a source as faulty, please prove that and provide what you consider to be more accurate data. We will gladly wait while you furiously Google.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I moved from Frankfurt, Germany to Tyler, Texas.

I chose Tyler because though it's not IN a huge metro area, it's close to DFW and not too bad a drive to the Austin metro. So I can get my "big city" fix when I want it but I don't have to live smack dab in the middle of the congestion, traffic, anonymity, and high cost of living of a big metro area.

It took me a couple of years to adjust but now, 25 years later, I couldn't be happier with that choice. I doubt that I will ever move out of this area, but if I do, it will nearly positively be to the Austin area - but still about an hour drive from Austin.

I just don't like living in a huge metro area, but I do like the amenities to be fairly close.

By the way, I don't consider smaller metro areas to necessarily be "podunk." I've near huge metro areas most of my life and I'm not enamored by them one iota. Usually I think of them as sort of a pain in the arse.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I previously lived in DC and Seattle and then moved to Omaha. I am originally from another Midwestern town, so its not a huge shock for me. But I definitely felt like I was living decades behind. I'm not materialistic so I wasn't shopping and indulging like crazy when I lived on the coasts, but just finding things like groceries that cater to my alternative diet, holistic practitioners, people with similar intellectual interests and travels, etc was a miserable failure in Omaha. Top that withthe fact that there was no one my age that I could meet and click with in Omaha. The pros were that Omaha is significantly more humble and anti-pretentious than a place like DC. But I learned that living in places like that also have their downsides. Boredom and lack of intellectual stimulation being one of them.

I left Omaha for another town that is not much bigger but at least has pretty mountains. I am currently trying figure out where I want to go next.
Just keep in mind as you move from place to place that no matter where you are, you can't get away from yourself.

Sometimes it's that common denominator that is the problem. Not saying that's the case with you, but I've known lots of people in my life who are constantly vaguely dissatisfied and always on the prowl for that perfect place, or perfect mate, or perfect job/house/car/fill in the blank, but they never realize that true happiness comes from within, not without.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM

230 posts, read 343,271 times
I left south Florida for Des Moines Iowa

Old 06-17-2016, 02:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
In reading all these posts I can't help thinking that maybe "podunk" is in the eye of the beholder.

First of all, I think a better choice of words would have been "less famous" or "less popular" or even "Not world class" as opposed to "world class." If a city doesn't make it for someone, "world class" means very little. "Podunk" or the other descriptions, can be much more satisfying for them.

I think it's a mistake for someone who is considering relocation to another city to get hung up on stereotypes. The important thing is to choose a city that meets all the seeker's criteria. Not everyone needs "world class."

Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just keep in mind as you move from place to place that no matter where you are, you can't get away from yourself.

Sometimes it's that common denominator that is the problem. Not saying that's the case with you, but I've known lots of people in my life who are constantly vaguely dissatisfied and always on the prowl for that perfect place, or perfect mate, or perfect job/house/car/fill in the blank, but they never realize that true happiness comes from within, not without.
I'm a person that's always on the lookout for the perfect aspects within each place (not a perfect place) and the satisfaction comes from going from place to place.

That said there is certainly a huge difference between quality of life and focus between many cities. Some of that is becoming blurred however as things like micro-brew and foodie scenes become popular sweeping across the land.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I left Phoenix, Az (large metro, not world class) for a small upstate NY city. Hated it after 2 weeks and knew I would move again. My husband sighed, "here we go again." Lol. We left 14 months later for a moderate sized city/metro in the South, which is better, but I still like large metro cities the best and like the West more than any other region.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:08 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Moved from suburban Chicago to suburban Tucson, AZ. We were familiar with Tucson from vacationing to see family, but living there was a bit of a shock. After about 18 months we began to settle in and get used to it (and actually like it), but then I had to move back to Chicago for job reasons.

The longer I am back in Chicago though, the more I realize it is really better place for us and I'm glad we ended up back here.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:14 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In reading all these posts I can't help thinking that maybe "podunk" is in the eye of the beholder.

First of all, I think a better choice of words would have been "less famous" or "less popular" or even "Not world class" as opposed to "world class." If a city doesn't make it for someone, "world class" means very little. "Podunk" or the other descriptions, can be much more satisfying for them.

I think it's a mistake for someone who is considering relocation to another city to get hung up on stereotypes. The important thing is to choose a city that meets all the seeker's criteria. Not everyone needs "world class."
I've never seen the word podunk before. I honestly just assumed it meant a small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.