Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That map only shows *one* ethnicity (the largest in each county) so I wouldn't really call it a "diversity" map. It just so happens that Germans are the largest ethnicity in a large swath of the northern US, but that doesn't mean that the counties those Germans are the largest group in are homogeneous. For example, the suburbs around St. Louis have Germans as their largest group, but that doesn't mean those suburbs are more homogeneous than, say, the suburbs around Richmond, VA.
Exactly. It is a map of plurality, not even majority. The breakdown of an 'Italian' county as portrayed on the map could hypothetically be something like this:

Italian 28%
Irish 26%
German 19%
English 14%
African-American 9%
Hispanic of any race 6%
Native American 1%
Asian, Polynesian .05%

So yes, people of Italian descent are technically the most represented, but the county would be perceptibly as Irish as it is Italian and with more people of Anglo-Germanic stock than the Italians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What wild claim? That Florida's Italians came from the North? That's just.... common knowledge. You ask any Italian American here in Florida and they are probably going to tell you their family came by way of NY, NJ, Chicago, Connecticut, etc.

But for your reading I'll show you again.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...upshot#Florida

No it's not. Not culturally, historically, ancestrally, religiously, etc etc. I see you think of things in simple latitude but it actually isn't how this works.
If you are talking about South Beach then maybe that's possible. But even in the greater Miami area, I wouldn't classify anything as "Northern". The Cuban culture is distinct and there isn't anything like that in NYC. The African Americans in Miami are 100% Southern (FLO-RI-DA), and right outside of the metro area you get the Florida Crackers which are 100% Southern.

Then move onto Central Florida and you get fried peanuts, Carolina BBQ, football, NASCAR. Sounds southern to me.

Then go to the Panhandle and you have Cajun restaurants, everyone has a twang, and all the plates are from MS/LA/AL/GA.

You can try to pretend that Florida is not in the South, but it is...

Old 03-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Exactly. It is a map of plurality, not even majority. The breakdown of an 'Italian' county as portrayed on the map could hypothetically be something like this:

Italian 28%
Irish 26%
German 19%
English 14%
African-American 9%
Hispanic of any race 6%
Native American 1%
Asian, Polynesian .05%

So yes, people of Italian descent are technically the most represented, but the county would be perceptibly as Irish as it is Italian and with more people of Anglo-Germanic stock than the Italians.
There was a map where you could click on heritage, religion, or other aspects and it would draw color coded maps showing percentages as different colors, i.e. "heat maps". Wish I could find it.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you are talking about South Beach then maybe that's possible. But even in the greater Miami area, I wouldn't classify anything as "Northern". The Cuban culture is distinct and there isn't anything like that in NYC. The African Americans in Miami are 100% Southern (FLO-RI-DA), and right outside of the metro area you get the Florida Crackers which are 100% Southern.

Then move onto Central Florida and you get fried peanuts, Carolina BBQ, football, NASCAR. Sounds southern to me.

Then go to the Panhandle and you have Cajun restaurants, everyone has a twang, and all the plates are from MS/LA/AL/GA.

You can try to pretend that Florida is not in the South, but it is...
Nonsense. So many points are incorrect. Notably that south floridas African American population is 50% carribean descended.

Shows you clearly know nothing to little of my state.

Florida isn't Northern either. It's just Florida. You can see from the link I posted that most our demographics are from the north or elsewhere in the world.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Florida is IN the South, that's a fact. Now when you talk about demographics and culture and what not, that's where things aren't quite as clear cut.

But seriously, it's 2017 and a good bit of the South is changing--faster in some places than in others. Although the West doesn't have the same history as the South, it has managed to tolerate diversity among its constituent states a lot better than the South. I don't see anybody trying to kick Utah and Idaho (heck, even Arizona) out of the region because they are politically, ideologically, etc. different than California, Oregon, Washington, etc.
I think that is because Utah and Idaho are in the direct middle of what we call the west.

Florida on the other hand is a far outer fringe of our country. It is as close to major population centers in Cuba as it is to major population centers in the American South. That makes it so it can break off and be its own thing.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Nonsense. So many points are incorrect. Notably that south floridas African American population is 50% carribean descended.

Fact and links, since you have zero credibility.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Fact and links, since you have zero credibility.
I'll break down the ancestry of Miami-Dade's African American community for you.

As of our 2010 census, the county was 18.9% African American descended. 6.9% of MD residents are of West Indian/Caribbean ancestry and an additional 1.8% report being from black Hispanic backgrounds (and this is number suspected of being far under counted). An addional .5% reports a a sub-saharan ancestry such as Nigerian or Kenyan.

So simple math for you:

6.9 + 1.8 + .5 = 9.2

9.2 / 18.9 = 49%

So 49% of Miami-Dade's black community is NOT from a Southern background. And that is just reported ancestry. It is probably even more than that.

And Broward and Palm Beach county are even MORE Caribbean and African descended than Miami is. Other counties in Southern Florida like Collier are similar.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...ty_facts.xhtml

You can find the specifics in the data here.

How does it feel to be schooled? Or does our census bureau have no credibility?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Shows you clearly know nothing to little of my state.

Florida isn't Northern either. It's just Florida. You can see from the link I posted that most our demographics are from the north or elsewhere in the world.
I've been to Florida many times over several decades, mainly for work. I had a large customer in Orlando. I have toured the whole state.

I found Florida, except for South Beach, to be very southern. More diverse than the rest of the south but southern nonetheless. I'm from Louisiana originally so I know southern when I see it.

All the Florida rappers have something to say about Florida not being part of the South.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
How does it feel to be schooled? Or does our census bureau have no credibility?
You haven't schooled anyone.

And no, I don't trust the accuracy of the Census in black neighborhoods of any ancestry.

You a SO desperate to portray Florida as something it's not that it's just hilarious, yet somewhat sad at the same time. I can't imagine how small your bubble must be, constantly striving to stay distant from any hint of your Southern reality and heritage.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You haven't schooled anyone.

And no, I don't trust the accuracy of the Census in black neighborhoods of any ancestry.

You a SO desperate to portray Florida as something it's not that it's just hilarious, yet somewhat sad at the same time. I can't imagine how small your bubble must be, constantly striving to stay distant from any hint of your Southern reality and heritage.
You don't believe anything that doesn't align with your own opinion.

When someone gives you irrefutable proof in front of your eyes, and you reject it screaming and wailing, that is called hysteria, as in selective amnesia and shallow volital emotions.

The census bureau refutes you and agrees with me and countless others. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.