Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

One look at the thermometer in January will tell you that Florida is not Northern but Southern indeed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:55 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
All of you Southerners think you know Florida. The land "south of the South". Keep frothing at the mouth, you Texans, Georgians, alabama people who think you know anything of what our state is.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
All of you Southerners think you know Florida. The land "south of the South". Keep frothing at the mouth, you Texans, Georgians, alabama people who think you know anything of what our state is.
Those that have major experience and spent significant time in Florida does. Sorry to tell you. Well not really.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:58 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
South Florida is the north of the south. By south in Florida I mean geographic but by the other south I mean cultural south and by north I mean not the south and by not the south I mean not the cultural south. I say this being from the north and by north I mean sort-of geographic north, which could be north-east or upper mid-west but not Pacific north. This post has gone south and by south I mean...

Old 03-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Ha. I expected Florida to be Northern based on all the feedback I had heard, but when I visited the state I found that to be untrue. South Florida certainly has more Yankees than say Savannah, but I think some places in NC like Cary have more Northern feel than Florida.

But I do think that the Yankees in South Florida like to think that Florida is not Southern to make them feel better. Even looking at the graph provided, until the 1960's the greatest source of immigration was from GA.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
This post has gone south and by south I mean...
"into the swamp?"

Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Ha. I expected Florida to be Northern based on all the feedback I had heard, but when I visited the state I found that to be untrue. South Florida certainly has more Yankees than say Savannah, but I think some places in NC like Cary have more Northern feel than Florida.

But I do think that the Yankees in South Florida like to think that Florida is not Southern to make them feel better. Even looking at the graph provided, until the 1960's the greatest source of immigration was from GA.
You read the graph wrong. It doesn't show number of migrants, it shows percent who were born elsewhere. As the number of people who were born in the North started to increase in the 1910s and 20s you can assume that is when the number of northern transplants to Florida outnumbered those from the South.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You read the graph wrong. It doesn't show number of migrants, it shows percent who were born elsewhere. As the number of people who were born in the North started to increase in the 1910s and 20s you can assume that is when the number of northern transplants to Florida outnumbered those from the South.
Got it.

One thing I learned from statistics is that it's all about asking the right questions.

Aren't most of the immigrants from the North retirees? How many of those live in retirement communities where they don't interact with working age people?

How many people from the Northeast move to Florida in their 20's/30's/40's to work in Florida? That is when I was mainly in Florida.

So, if most of the workers are still non Northerners (because the Northerners are mainly retired), then when I go to a gas station to gas up, or the waitress that serves me, or the people in the bar or club, they are not really likely to be Northerners, now are they? Also, when I was at the company working (can't mention it here), almost all of the people working there were native Floridians.

I think because it's a retirement destination, you have many many people from the North, but they are not really interacting with mainstream Floridians like someone in their 30's would be.

I would venture to say that most people in their 20's/30's from NYC would probably go to Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, or some other southern city where there are better jobs than to Florida. There simply aren't a lot of high paying jobs in FL. When I talk to NY'ers they tend to have a negative image of Florida as a place for when they get older to retire, not as a place for young folks to move. They view it as a place in which to die.

Does this make sense? There are a lot of retirees in AZ from the Midwest but there are also a lot of transplants for economic reasons that actually work there, so I found the Midwest/Northeast influence in AZ stronger than I had anticipated, but it was still overwhelmed by the CA influence.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Hogwash. Almost all of my current co-workers moved to Florida from the north or Latin America. And almost all of them produced little Floridian babies. My own parents moved here from the north when they were kids with their prime working age parents. I have 16 cousins, all of whom except two were born in Florida, and their parents come from New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois and Pennsylvania. My high school? Everyone's parents were migrants from elsewhere.

Thinking all the people who move to Florida are retirees honestly shows you don't know much about the state.

Another notable thing about Floridas demographics is that ours was the only state in the south with heavy northern transplants during the baby boom years.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Hogwash. Almost all of my current co-workers moved to Florida from the north or Latin America. And almost all of them produced little Floridian babies. My own parents moved here from the north when they were kids with their prime working age parents. I have 16 cousins, all of whom except two were born in Florida, and their parents come from New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois and Pennsylvania. My high school? Everyone's parents were migrants from elsewhere.

Thinking all the people who move to Florida are retirees honestly shows you don't know much about the state.

Another notable thing about Floridas demographics is that ours was the only state in the south with heavy northern transplants during the baby boom years.
Your personal anecdotes have zero credibility here, as your extreme ant-South agenda has been confirmed and exposed by literally hundreds of your own posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.