Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:31 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
You don't believe anything that doesn't align with your own opinion.

When someone gives you irrefutable proof in front of your eyes, and you reject it screaming and wailing, that is called hysteria, as in selective amnesia and shallow volital emotions.
Ha! No screaming and wailing here, that would be more your specialty - along with outright lying.

Quote:
The census bureau refutes you and agrees with me and countless others. Deal with it.
The Census Bureau has been successfully sued over miscounts in urban neighborhoods from Coast to Coast.

No matter what percentage of the black population of Dade County is of Caribbean ancestry, Florida is Southern. Many blacks in South Florida (as well as many whites) enjoy fish & grits to your utter disgust, which is as Southern as it gets.

You were born in and live in a Southern State, hence you are a Southerner - whether you wish to admit it or not. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 02:00 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Ha! No screaming and wailing here, that would be more your specialty - along with outright lying.

The Census Bureau has been successfully sued over miscounts in urban neighborhoods from Coast to Coast.

No matter what percentage of the black population of Dade County is of Caribbean ancestry, Florida is Southern. Many blacks in South Florida (as well as many whites) enjoy fish & grits to your utter disgust, which is as Southern as it gets.

You were born in and live in a Southern State, hence you are a Southerner - whether you wish to admit it or not. Deal with it.
Oh please! JMatl you really need to come to grips with the truth when it is shown to your eyes. You dismiss even the most respected data and statistics in our nation because it doesn't align with your thoughts. TRY and think of that for a second!

And don't tell others what they are. They can decide that for themselves. I am not a Southerner, and neither are most Floridians. You need to start dealing with that.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
And don't tell others what they are. They can decide that for themselves. I am not a Southerner, and neither are most Floridians. You need to start dealing with that.
I'll tell you all day long, sorry you're in denial of where you live and what you are.

Deal with it.

And you might want to floss before you go out in the morning. I'm sure you stopped for grits and eggs at Waffle House on your way home tonight.

You would probably be much happier on Long Island, but it's not easy to find grits up there. You might have to ship them in.

Last edited by JMatl; 03-04-2017 at 02:46 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 03:11 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
I'll tell you all day long, sorry you're in denial of where you live and what you are.

Deal with it.

And you might want to floss before you go out in the morning. I'm sure you stopped for grits and eggs at Waffle House on your way home tonight.

You would probably be much happier on Long Island, but it's not easy to find grits up there. You might have to ship them in.
I went to Wawa this evening actually. More of a Pennsylvania /Florida kind of thing. And I ordered a Cuban sandwich Doubt they even have those in Georgia. Grits are slimy and gross.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
As a Deep South Southerner, I find Florida to be wonderfully Southern, with a mixture of Caribbean influence. Even the Yankees (which are limited to Ft. Lauderdale and south to be honest) are usually a minority of the population I've found. When I'm in Miami I don't feel like I'm in Philly, NYC, or Boston at all.

The West Coast of Florida has some Midwesterners but even more Southern influence than Miami/Dade. Central Florida feels like parts of rural Alabama to tell you the truth but with orange groves instead of cotton fields.

Northern Florida has never been disputed about how Southern it is.

I must admit I am surprised about the African Americans in Miami/Dade percentage. However, if you move to Central Florida and Northern Florida that percentage quickly changes.

One of my favorite dinners in Central Florida was at a Carolina BBQ place. It was run by a black family from South Carolina. The man said that he had moved down to Florida because there was a need for Carolina BBQ down there and he loved it down there. It was the most authentic Carolina BBQ (vinegar based BBQ sauces) that I had ever had. Now I prefer Texas BBQ for beef but Carolina BBQ chicken and pork is out of this world good.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I went to Wawa this evening actually. More of a Pennsylvania /Florida kind of thing.
I am very familiar with Wawa, thank you. It's actually more of a Pennsylvania/New Jersey, new to Florida kind of thing. Remember, I'm down there throughout the year.

Quote:
And I ordered a Cuban sandwich Doubt they even have those in Georgia.
Are you really that ignorant? If we want a Wawa quality Cuban, we just head to the deli at Publix. I prefer the real deal though, made by actual Cubans - not some clerk at a gas station. Havana Restaurant - Havana Restaurant Atlanta (Home)

Quote:
Grits are slimy and gross.
Only because you equate them as Southern. Millions of people disagree with you though, that's why they're on menus across the country. You probably have no issue with polenta since it's Italian, even though it's the exact same thing.

Wrong again.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I went to Wawa this evening actually. More of a Pennsylvania /Florida kind of thing. And I ordered a Cuban sandwich Doubt they even have those in Georgia. Grits are slimy and gross.
If grits are slimy, they were made wrong. Sounds like you may have it confused with okra lol.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Only because you equate them as Southern. Millions of people disagree with you though, that's why they're on menus across the country. You probably have no issue with polenta since it's Italian, even though it's the exact same thing.
Polenta in the U.S. isn't typically served as a porridge, but baked or fried so that it's solid. Polenta also isn't typically cooked with butter and cheese.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Polenta in the U.S. isn't typically served as a porridge, but baked or fried so that it's solid. Polenta also isn't typically cooked with butter and cheese.
I realize that, but it is still the same thing.

And fried grits are wonderful, I make them all the time. Some polenta eaters still find that repulsive, but only because of the word 'grits' being involved.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
All of Florida is in the south geographically, part of it is southern culturally. That makes it a southern state imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.